3 replies to this topic

#1 jjbrown84

jjbrown84

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:12 AM

My stock radio on the 2007 C4 Pic is behaving a bit odd.
Hopefully it won't matter soon as I'll be putting my aftermarket from the dead xpic in.

When I switch the engine off I can manually switch the radio back on but within 1 sec of coming in it mutes itself with "Silence" displayed.

The steering wheel mute and radio mute have no affect on changing this, however both buttons work fine when the key is turned.

Without further investigation the only thing I can think is that the aerial is not being powered and the radio is silenced due to no signal. I haven't actually tested CD or AM which I've only just thought of as I'm typing this!

Any thoughts? I don't even know if it is a powered antenna tbh, my xpic wasn't.

#2 jjbrown84

jjbrown84

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:23 PM

OK.. After taking it out and putting it back in it works fine...
Unless I open the glove box!
When the glovebox is open I can press the glovebox button (for the light I assume) and the volume comes back
Also the glovebox light isn't working so I'm gonna guess a bad Ground?

#3 jjbrown84

jjbrown84

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:51 PM

OK, I'm hoping someone will know enough to point me in the right direction.
The glovebox, and map reading lights do not work and the bulbs are ok however each switch will operate the mute function on my radio.
The rear interior light seems to share 2 circuits because it works as a normal courtesy light when opening a door however mutes the radio when switched to perminantly on (the light stops working). The front interior light works fine in either position but the map lights of course do not. Any starting points?

Edited by jjbrown84, 25 August 2018 - 07:01 PM.

#4 jjbrown84

jjbrown84

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:23 PM

Sorry for the multiple posts I can't always seem to be allowed to edit them.

I've replaced fuse F7 which was vaporised so likely shorted somehow.

Now the lights work and do not affect the radio.
However the original fault remains. The radio once again mutes when switched on without the key turned.
One thing when looking around the back of the radio, moving the harness around intermittently triggered the silence but after unwinding some tape to inspect everything I was unable to replicate it afterwards.
I wonder if running a new ground wire from the radio to the chassis would cure it.

Update***
When sliding the radio forward the 5A F7 fuse blew again. Tried my aftermarket radio and though I could here the CD drive gearing into position (as usual) there was no display on the faceplate.

I replaced fuse F7 and my radio sprang to life.
5 seconds later F7 blew again and my radio went back off :D

Edited by jjbrown84, 25 August 2018 - 07:37 PM.