#1 Go170

Go170

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:04 AM

Hi Everybody,

Question: would a failing (starting to fail...) head gasket prevent the car from starting normally? Perhaps due to a lack of proper pressure, especially when cold?

Had the Pic (2003 2.0 HDi) running earlier this week for about 2km, couple of blocks between traffic lights, lots of white smoke on pull away. less when the engine was at normal temp at the end of the trip.  Can't get it to start & run now. Engine turns, but doesn't start.

Any suggestions on how and what to check for tell tale signs on head gasket issues while the car is not running? If it is the gasket, it hasn't gone completely yet, probably on it's way out soon.

Much appreciated.

+--------------------------+
George

['03 2.0 Hdi Picasso]

#2 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 24 August 2018 - 03:51 PM

Cor, thats a hard one [she said], casting my mind back several decades to the days when you could actually see the engine when you lifted the bonnet, check the coolant for having unusual smell , colour or level, check engine oil for emulsifying on dip-stick or filler cap, apart from that its a case of working round the head to block joints and manifolds for signs of blowing, could it be a gummed up EGR, I had a 2.0 with an intermittent dodgy EGR, plenty white smoke, stink of unburned diesel with no power, then it cleared until next time

#3 Go170

Go170

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:06 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply granpa. Turns out after two weeks of inspection that the immobiliser is dodgy.  (intermittently picking and dropping the keys - both of them - when starting, and the moment the fault is cleared, the car starts, until a couple of hours/days later).

Did you have your EGR fixed and how?  The technicians working on mine suggested I have the immobiliser bypassed with software / code rewrite (not sure how this is done) or the better option will be to cut my losses and just spend my money one something else.  This car is a bit of a money pit the last 24 months...

+--------------------------+
George

['03 2.0 Hdi Picasso]

#4 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:29 PM

EGR was replaced under warranty by Dixons, remember them, car was only about 9 months old at the time