4 replies to this topic

#1 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:58 AM

So the C4GP is back on the road- and seems to be in good shape. Fingers crossed.

A question to those that have/ have had a C4 Pic- how should I expect the fan to run?

I assume it should be on with the A/C, but the resistor pack that I can see suggests that the fan could be asked to run at different speeds.

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2008)

#2 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:36 PM

When the Aircon is OFF the fan will be switched ON by the BSI when it receives an input from the temp sensor. If the car is moving then the fan will run at low speed, if you come to a halt and the temp rises then the second triggered then the second will come into use.
With the Aircon ON the fan will start immediately or after a very short delay. It runs at low speed. This is to ensure that air is drawn through the Aircon condenser rad that is co-located with the car coolant rad. If the fan doesn't run when the Aircon is ON then it will trip the system off as a safety measure.
If when driving with the Aircon ON, the engine temp rises and triggers the fan it will run at high speed.
  • discv likes this
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#3 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 06:14 PM

Stim, I knew that you would have some input- but that is one impressive reply. Thank you.

This car, not being fitted with an engine temp. gauge is a major pain after a rebuild.

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2008)

#4 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:41 PM

Welcome
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#5 jjbrown84

jjbrown84

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:18 PM

Stim, I knew that you would have some input- but that is one impressive reply. Thank you.
This car, not being fitted with an engine temp. gauge is a major pain after a rebuild.

Could you use an OBD reader?
Mine has a dashboard function which states the current temp on my phone. May be useful as a temporary measure after your rebuild.
  • discv likes this