2 replies to this topic

#1 Red

Red

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:18 AM

Anyone fitted a tow bar to their C3 Pic and in particular did you do your own electrics. I'm looking to fit a tow bar and I will be using a dedicated wiring kit, but the instructions suggest that it will still need to be re-programmed using Lexia or taking to a dealer. Anyone had any experience of this. Thanks.

Red

#2 BlackCherry

BlackCherry

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:54 AM

Hi Red.

I haven't done this myself, but at one time I was planning to fit a tow bar so did investigate what was required.

From what I could find, Citroen had not generously fitted a helpfully-positioned socket at the rear of the car for a future trailer - at least not in my 2011 model - so you would have to crimp in to the existing lighting harness at the back.

What would also then be required is a new power cable to be run from a spare fuse in the fuse box behind the glovebox, and this is brought down towards the rear to supply the required power to the trailer lights via a 'bypass' relay such as https://www.ebay.co....veDSHXyLnW4gTMA .

The idea - as I understand it - is that the relay simply takes a small switching signal from the lights being deployed - tail, indicator, brake, fog etc - and uses the power from your new supply to actually power the lamps on your trailer. This way there is no additional drain on the car's existing lighting system, and also no confused signal for the car to wonder why its lamps are suddenly drawing more current.

So, there should be no reprogramming required.

That is the info I have gleaned, but please don't take it as gospel.

#3 Red

Red

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:58 PM

Thanks Black Cherry

My C3 Pic is still under warranty and I have no wish to give Citroen any grounds for turning down any warranty claim on the electrics because I have fiited non approved tow bar electrics. All the dedicated kits I have looked at say the BSI needs to be programmed. Anyway I've bitten the bullet and have arranged for a recognised tow bar fitter to do the job. My son runs several Mercedes dealers and he highly recommends this chap. Also he has negotiated a good price for me. Needless to say I take some stick from my son for buying a Citroen, but even he agrees, if there was a 3 pointed star on the front you would double the price. Thanks

• BlackCherry likes this