#1 boussyboo

boussyboo

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:53 PM

hi,

i couldn't find this in  previous topics...

we've got a random fault recently starting: when indicating (more often with near side indicating than off side indicating) the indicator stops working and the sidelights/main lights bulbs light up on the dashboard, which itself goes slightly dim (as it would when the lights are turned on).

it even does it when you're not indicating now, but it seems to stop when i touch the indicator stalk. i can't replicate this at home but i noticed, today, that the lights were visible on the rear of the car in front.

i've also noticed the dashboard is forgetting it's last brightness setting; it doesn't go really dim, but it isn't as bright as I last set it; i'm wondering if this is connected somehow.

i found somebody had cut the rear wires to one of the rear light clusters - and badly soldered them together; i've repaired those properly, but it hasn't helped fix the fault. i've also replaced many of the bulbs (front indicator bulbs, brake bulbs, rear indicator bulbs), but this hasn't helped either.

i'll be checking the front sidelight bulbs/headlight bulbs in the morning, but i do know that all the bulbs are working as we frequently check them (ex-trucker and some habits die hard!)

a friend said it was probably an earth fault, but i don't know where else to start looking and thought i'd ask here before paying for an auto-electrician...

can anybody suggest anything I can do next or where might be a likely candidate?

cheers in advance

yours

andy berry

2.0 HDI 2003 Picasso

#2 ChrisGibbard

ChrisGibbard

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:35 PM

The fault is with the indicator stalk.

#3 boussyboo

boussyboo

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

The fault is with the indicator stalk.

thanks for your comment - is there any chance you may know if it is fairly straightforward to replace the stalk?

i've done it on a few trucks in the past, but there was plenty of room to move about to swap...

cheers

andy berry 

2.0 HDI 2003 Picasso

#4 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:56 PM

thanks for your comment - is there any chance you may know if it is fairly straightforward to replace the stalk?

i've done it on a few trucks in the past, but there was plenty of room to move about to swap...

cheers

andy berry

Depends on what year the car is - they swapped to the Comm 2000 module around 2004ish,

https://www.youtube....h?v=m27z4nlWU5Q

https://www.youtube....h?v=qblvil0BL9s
  • boussyboo likes this

#5 ChrisGibbard

ChrisGibbard

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:42 AM

Depends on what year the car is - they swapped to the Comm 2000 module around 2004ish,

Changing the pre- Comm 2000 is easy. No need to remove steering wheel and airbag.