Photo

Pic 1.6Hdi - Inaccesible last bolt to remove gearbox - help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bigbird

Bigbird

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:48 PM

1.5 days into a Picasso 1.6Hdi gearbox removal and as if accessing the starter motor bolts was bad enough (3 hours for 2 bolts), I found a last bolt (I hope!) hidden at the front. Unlike most of the others it comes from the engine side.  The bolt head has just enough room to insert a 16mm spanner from below if the exhaust heat shild is pushed away hard. But even my shortest spanner is hard up against the rad.  There is no room to remove the bolt with only about 3mm clearance above its head.

I really don't want to have to remove the rad and/or exhaust manuifold!

If you've overcome this problem please let me know how you did it! 

Otherwise this 97k pic may end up at the tip just due to the known weakness of the dual mass flywheel.

With thanks 

#2 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:36 PM

1.5 days into a Picasso 1.6Hdi gearbox removal and as if accessing the starter motor bolts was bad enough (3 hours for 2 bolts), I found a last bolt (I hope!) hidden at the front. Unlike most of the others it comes from the engine side.  The bolt head has just enough room to insert a 16mm spanner from below if the exhaust heat shild is pushed away hard. But even my shortest spanner is hard up against the rad.  There is no room to remove the bolt with only about 3mm clearance above its head.

I really don't want to have to remove the rad and/or exhaust manuifold!

If you've overcome this problem please let me know how you did it! 

Otherwise this 97k pic may end up at the tip just due to the known weakness of the dual mass flywheel.

With thanks 

Only DMF on the 110s,  the 92 BHP doesn't have one...    :)

#3 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

According to Haynes, the front exhaust/cat needs to come off.

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2008)