2 replies to this topic

#1 scrantz

scrantz

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:45 PM

Bear with me on this, just a thought . . .

My first c3 pic (2009) suffered from the problem of the water from the washer bottle working its way into the engine bay fuse board, so it had no sidelights due to the corrosion.

I've just bought a 2012 c3 pic which has not been affected by this problem.

I'm thinking of putting a couple of silica gel pouches under the fuse board cover to reduce any moisture that may find its way there, so hopefully avoiding the possibility of the previous problem happening.

What do you think ?

#2 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,479 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:33 AM

The problem is that the moisture travels by capillary action along the two wires from the washer pump into the connector in the fuse box. By the time the silica gell get to attract it would be too late. The best cure is prevention of the problem in the first place. That is stop the washer fluid from freezing and the pump from splitting and allowing the water into the cables in the first place. My 2012 C3 Picasso didn't suffer from this fault but then I used at least 75% additive in the winter.
  • scrantz likes this
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#3 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,646 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:22 PM

Hard to realise how the moisture travels up the cable.  I experienced it when I was "on the tools" and used to repair Davenset Submersible Pumps.  They used to fail a couple of weeks after repair. Then I went to the factory and learned how to seal the cable cores with a hot Bitumen compound.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!