#1 mf1999

mf1999

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:42 PM

hi all,

thanks for your previous help back in december when my alternator packed in, the car is still running beautifully.

however i today tried to lower the spare carrier just in case i got a puncture on the motorway only to find it completely siezed solid and no matter what tool i tried or lubricating spray i tried it would only move a tiny little bit, i don't really want to keep trying this in case i snap the head off the bolt but i would like to get it down so i could at least keep it from happening again in the future however i don't know what else i can really try other than maybe trying to loosen it every day.

any more advice would be much appreciated

thanks in advance

#2 rawthey

rawthey

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:06 PM

Try applying some penetrating oil (e.g. Plus Gas) to the thread just above the carrier so it can run down into the seized up area and leave it for a day to soak, then try again. You might need to repeat the treatment a few times before it releases.

After you get it sorted apply a good coating of Waxoyl to stop it seizing up again.

Mike
Xsara Picasso (58) 1.6i 16V Desire, Iron Grey

#3 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:32 PM

Do as Rawhey says, spray it, then tighten and slacken repeatedy a little at a time,with more penetrating oil.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#4 mf1999

mf1999

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:18 PM

thanks for the replies, i will try what is suggested over the weekend and keep you updated,

#5 crpt2008

crpt2008

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:00 PM

Hi Depending how seriously rusted it is. It might work with some penetrating oil (I doubt). 

I had to deal with it in all my second hand Peugeot/Citroen. On the new ones I made sure it would never happen. ;-)  Since I don´t have much faith on the penetrating oil alone. I learn it the hard way. LOL :-)

One or a combination of theses methods will bring it back.  

- Non destructive. (slow) Clean it as best as possible with wire brush/wheel. Then use a rust remover (liquid), vinegar works OK, but it´s slow. 

Several applications will make it work. Chase the threads, lub. it and it´s back in business 100%.

- Destructive. Cut it out with an angle grinder, and get a new one from Ebay, quite cheap.

- Slightly destructive. :-) Cut a vertical slot on the threaded part, with Dremel type tool. Tight up again and drop a couple of welds points. Done.

In all cases to remove the tire easily. Loose some air and you should be able to remove it. ;-)

Edited by crpt2008, Yesterday, 03:01 PM.

Actual, Xsara Picasso 1.6i petrol 2003 - Previous Xsara Picasso 1.6 HDI 110 Exclusive 2004

#6 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:09 PM

If you do snap it, a new one off eBay starts at around  £12   ,,,   

https://www.ebay.co....AAOSwH1Vaq4tl 

Edit:  Just noticed that one is from China !

£27 for a bit more local  :)

https://www.ebay.co....-4AAOSwjVVVqNE9

£25 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.c...4/dp/B01N98TJGW

Might actually be worth asking Citroen too  !

Edited by gray, Yesterday, 07:15 PM.