#1 mf1999

mf1999

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:42 PM

hi all,

thanks for your previous help back in december when my alternator packed in, the car is still running beautifully.

however i today tried to lower the spare carrier just in case i got a puncture on the motorway only to find it completely siezed solid and no matter what tool i tried or lubricating spray i tried it would only move a tiny little bit, i don't really want to keep trying this in case i snap the head off the bolt but i would like to get it down so i could at least keep it from happening again in the future however i don't know what else i can really try other than maybe trying to loosen it every day.

any more advice would be much appreciated

thanks in advance

#2 rawthey

rawthey

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:06 PM

Try applying some penetrating oil (e.g. Plus Gas) to the thread just above the carrier so it can run down into the seized up area and leave it for a day to soak, then try again. You might need to repeat the treatment a few times before it releases.

After you get it sorted apply a good coating of Waxoyl to stop it seizing up again.

Mike
Xsara Picasso (58) 1.6i 16V Desire, Iron Grey

#3 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:32 PM

Do as Rawhey says, spray it, then tighten and slacken repeatedy a little at a time,with more penetrating oil.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#4 mf1999

mf1999

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:18 PM

thanks for the replies, i will try what is suggested over the weekend and keep you updated,

#5 crpt2008

crpt2008

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

Hi Depending how seriously rusted it is. It might work with some penetrating oil (I doubt). 

I had to deal with it in all my second hand Peugeot/Citroen. On the new ones I made sure it would never happen. ;-)  Since I don´t have much faith on the penetrating oil alone. I learn it the hard way. LOL :-)

One or a combination of theses methods will bring it back.  

- Non destructive. (slow) Clean it as best as possible with wire brush/wheel. Then use a rust remover (liquid), vinegar works OK, but it´s slow. 

Several applications will make it work. Chase the threads, lub. it and it´s back in business 100%.

- Destructive. Cut it out with an angle grinder, and get a new one from Ebay, quite cheap.

- Slightly destructive. :-) Cut a vertical slot on the threaded part, with Dremel type tool. Tight up again and drop a couple of welds points. Done.

In all cases to remove the tire easily. Loose some air and you should be able to remove it. ;-)

Edited by crpt2008, 24 May 2018 - 03:01 PM.

Actual, Xsara Picasso 1.6i petrol 2003 - Previous Xsara Picasso 1.6 HDI 110 Exclusive 2004

#6 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:09 PM

If you do snap it, a new one off eBay starts at around  £12   ,,,   

https://www.ebay.co....AAOSwH1Vaq4tl 

Edit:  Just noticed that one is from China !

£27 for a bit more local  :)

https://www.ebay.co....-4AAOSwjVVVqNE9

£25 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.c...4/dp/B01N98TJGW

Might actually be worth asking Citroen too  !

Edited by gray, 24 May 2018 - 07:15 PM.

#7 ChrisGibbard

ChrisGibbard

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:27 AM

If you do snap it, a new one off eBay starts at around  £12   ,,,   

https://www.ebay.co....AAOSwH1Vaq4tl 

Edit:  Just noticed that one is from China !

£27 for a bit more local  :)

https://www.ebay.co....-4AAOSwjVVVqNE9

£25 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.c...4/dp/B01N98TJGW

Might actually be worth asking Citroen too  !

Always amazed me how much these buggers are. I always covered them in grease when I was running Peugeot 205 GTIs back in the boy racer days.

#8 ArthurM

ArthurM

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Woodworking

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

Hi all.With the carrier being so badly "rusted" just imagine what the spare wheel/tyre is like, especially if it is not in a spare wheel bag.

Most people forget about the spare wheel,until it's too late. I've never liked the idea of the spare being under the car exposed to all weather conditions.

#9 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:57 PM

My michelin original spare spend 6 years in the rack, when I wanted to use it all the sidewalls had cracked and it was scrap

• ArthurM likes this

#10 rawthey

rawthey

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:24 AM

Hi all.With the carrier being so badly "rusted" just imagine what the spare wheel/tyre is like, especially if it is not in a spare wheel bag.

Most people forget about the spare wheel,until it's too late. I've never liked the idea of the spare being under the car exposed to all weather conditions.

But the other 4 wheels are exposed to as much or more.

The problem of wrapping the spare in a bag is that if any moisture does get in it's likely to stay there for much longer than if it wasn't enclosed so you could end up with even more corrosion.

Mike
Xsara Picasso (58) 1.6i 16V Desire, Iron Grey

#11 ArthurM

ArthurM

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Woodworking

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:40 PM

Hi  rawthey. In the past I have always used a spare wheel bag made for that purpose,and to be fair have had little problem with corrosion. Without any protection and with the wheel being horizontal to the car, rain/salt etc actually lies within the spare and only goes when the weather is dry, resulting in a wet/ dry scenario, then rust. The bag actually stopped this happening.

Additionally, the supporting metal cage actually digs into the rubber of the tyre putting groves into the rubber where it makes contact, the metal then goes rusty which then gets onto the tyre rubber.

I used to take the spare off the car every few months to make sure the pressure was ok and to grease the screw mechanism, the result no seized screw thread.

The four vertical wheels do not get water etc lying in them like the spare

Edited by ArthurM, 26 May 2018 - 06:43 PM.