3 replies to this topic

#1 stevie2810

stevie2810

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:25 PM

I got an engine warning message last week on my 2005  2.0 HDi (80,000 miles on the clock) and the orange engine light appeared on the dash. I drove the few miles home. The engine is running fine and the orange warning light had disappeared by the next day. However, I decided to get the local Citroen dealer to diagnose the fault.

I was told that the car requires a "new mass air flow meter and brake switch". Could this possibly be a false alarm (dirty air filter maybe) and can the air flow meter be cleaned?

If these parts do have to be replaced, I'd like to do the work myself, as it looks like both items are a simple exchange - please correct me if I'm wrong. The brake switch is fairly inexpensive but the prices for the air flow meter vary from £25 to £85. Are the cheap ones OK? Here's a typical cheapo: <https://www.ebay.co....oAAOSweARZchMM>

TIA.

#2 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:11 AM

Cheap ones don't tend to last long (anecdotally - I've not had one changed on this car, but did on a Fiat).

Both are easy enough to replace, once you work out how to setup and adjust the brake switch...  it's a ratchet type thing, from memory.

#3 ChrisGibbard

ChrisGibbard

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:52 AM

MAF can be cleaned, plenty of videos on youtube, but you can also run your car with it unplugged! I did for ages. Usually if it packs up altogether the car goes in "limp mode". Which is what mine did. You didn't get that, and now all is ok. So I'd give it a clean and change the brake switch if you really feel like it.

#4 stevie2810

stevie2810

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:34 PM

Many thanks, Gray and Chris. That's exactly what I need to know.