#1 White xara 1.6hdi

White xara 1.6hdi

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:51 PM

Hello, guys!

I have a problem. I have a cloud of white smoke in the morning. Just for 10 sec. Than everything ok. And in that time engine is stalling to. I just changed all glow plugs, expecting to resolve problem. But still the same. Is it possible that glow plug relay is dead? Are those  simptomps of dirty injector? Is it wise to use some injector cleaner?

Thank you

#2 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

Is it white, or grey (oily smelling ?) ..   White is usually steam, whilst grey is Oil.

It could be that the valve stem seals are leaking slowly overnight, or the turbo seals are failing...    It could also be the relay !  

Since you are now adept at replacing Glow Plugs, then remove one, still connected,  and get someone to fire up the ignition, and see if it 'glows' .. on a heatproof surface :)

Mine has been doing the same for the last 3 years but I've not got around to looking at it (1.6 HDi), but there is usually a Glowplug fault code stored in the system when I plug it in  occasionally. Unless it is very cold, then the glow plugs don't do much anyway - have a search around on here.

#3 ArthurM

ArthurM

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Woodworking

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:16 PM

Just trying to eliminate possibilities,but has the car been filled with petrol instead of diesel,as your syptoms are an early sign of this happening. I'm not trying to be patronising.

#4 White xara 1.6hdi

White xara 1.6hdi

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:21 AM

I di not fill petrol. I did total 5 fillups untill now. I just purchased the car. I checked turbo and it is as new. Car has 180 000 km now. Mine has glow plugs/relay fault occasionally. When I changed glow plugs, they were 2 dead. And I saw, that they have changed 1 before. So they were triyng to do something. I called scrapyard, guy has one relay for 15 eur, so I will give it a try. Yesterday i tryied to disconect coolant temp. sensor to force preheat, but there was no difference in smoke. It is interesting, because the engine is in perfect condition otherwise. No leaking of injectors, oil, turbo....

#5 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:29 AM

Is it white smoke or steam ?

#6 White xara 1.6hdi

White xara 1.6hdi

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:34 PM

Defenetly not steam. To thick smoke, smells bad. When it was well over 20C, same think. Actualy when rainy weather, smoke looks even stronger. I am almost shure that smoke is fuel related.

#7 ArthurM

ArthurM

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Woodworking

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

WX. I am not famillar with your Xara,but has it got a catalytic converter? If it has and you say the "smoke" smells bad, I would go back to my previous post and suggest that petrol was put in your car before you bought it, thus for want of a

better word has knackered the cat. The white smoke and bad smell are a symptom.

I'm not sure if the Cat can break down for other reasons though.

Keep us informed as I'm really interested how this issue will be sorted.

#8 White xara 1.6hdi

White xara 1.6hdi

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

Forgot one information:

Car was not driving for 6 months, before i purchased.

#9 White xara 1.6hdi

White xara 1.6hdi

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:14 PM

UPDATE!.... I testet how glow plug relay is working. when contact, it did NOT let 12v to plugs. nothing. It was 15c outside. Some forum members said that those engines use glowplugs every time becouse of clean exhaust. then I unplugged coolant temperature sensor, glow plugs got 12v and no smoke on ignition. Pluged sensor back in an drive normaly. when I make OBD readings, coolant temp. sensor reads correct value. Why there is no preheating without unplugging coolant temp sensor? Obviusly ammount of fuel injected is amount if glowplugs are in function. I hope someone understands me...

#10 grant2258

grant2258

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:03 PM

I haven't seen my glow plug light on for more than a second even when the temp is 8 degrees. I think the car has to be really cold before they kick in. My car let's off white steam when I start it when it's cold. White smoke will linger steam will disappear if it's lingering there is a issue. If the smell is like rotten eggs it'll be your cat

#11 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,509 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:03 AM

This has been said many times but I will repeat it.

Every time the ignition is turned ON the glow plugs are activated. The light inside the car comes on to tell you that you MUST wait until it goes out before you start the engine. The light does not mean the glows are OFF it just means you can now start the engine. The glows go through a PRE-START CYCLE which is controlled by several external factors, engine temp being one of them.

Once the engine is running the glow plugs continue to be active until another set of parameters are met, one of these is 20C engine coolant and revs below 2000 rpm. This is called the POST START CYCLE.

For once there is a very good write up for this in Haynes C3 Saloon manual in the diesel section.

So even though your warning light isn't ON your glows will be under parameter control. Glow plugs are required top ensure that the fuel is burnt not poked out the back unburnt.   On the MK1 Xsara Pics you could make the warning light come ON by switching on the ignition then OFF then ON again and it would light for about 10 to 15 secs.

• crpt2008 likes this
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#12 White xara 1.6hdi

White xara 1.6hdi

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

Thank you, Stimulator. I did read this post of yours before. That is why, i took instrument and measure current on each wire. And i foundn out, that when i unpluged coolant sensor, there was 12v to each plug and light on the dash. But, when i plugged it back in, there was no heating at all.( i understand that there is no light when post start cycle). So as far I understand, preheating is not working in warmer weather (in my case), but should, according to ammount of diesel injected. When i unplug coolant sensor (simulate colder conditions), relay is acting normaly- when contact 12v, after 30 seconds klick and off. I tested wire by wire everi time I turned cocntact on.

#13 White xara 1.6hdi

White xara 1.6hdi

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:08 AM

I tryed ignition on off on... no warning light..

#14 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,509 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

It maybe worth changing the temp sensor.

17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#15 grant2258

grant2258

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:08 AM

Check the readings on your coolant sensor with any obdii. For the heaters to start you must meet conditions the coolant temp should be below 20 celsius and the engine turned more than 70rpm for 0.2 seconds. It doesn't take long to get to 20c that's why your tests might not be working

Edited by grant2258, 14 October 2017 - 08:09 AM.

#16 White xara 1.6hdi

White xara 1.6hdi

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:10 PM

Hello, guys!

I hate, when someone stops posting, when find solution. So, let me tell you about some findings. After changing a bunch of sensors, I got to the point, that if OBD is not showing faults on sensors, it means, that sensors are ok. I sent an email to Locali most reliable Citroen srvice. They have answered, that it could be a problem with dirt on air intake ( manifold or head ). So I went to my local mechanic and said that he should take of manifold and al egr sistem and clean it. He took the car and when it was parked for about 8 hours, there was thet smoke. He confirmet that it is fuel related. But he said, as far he understands, it is not air intake problem, but injector needle not sealing and so diesel is leaking in to cilinder. He said, that I should try to put cleaner in tank. I said, I allready did. But he said, that 1dcl of aditive, that I was buying on the gas station is nothing. He told me about Antigripante cleaner. It is 1liter of cleaner hi koncentrated ( like a sirup). So I bought it (25eur), put it in 5 liters left in tank, and gave it a strong drive. After whole night, in the morning- no smoke! Just a little, that is normal. Today I filled it up, parked at 20:00. I will use the car tommorow at 11 am. I hope it will be the same- no smoke. Will write tomorrow. Good night to you all!
  • gray likes this

#17 White xara 1.6hdi

White xara 1.6hdi

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:13 AM

Oo.. and.. Stimulator, I am sorry I misslead you. Post heating is working ok. I was thinking that it should start BEFORE ignition. But it starts just after ignition.

#18 White xara 1.6hdi

White xara 1.6hdi

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:48 AM

On the begining again. :(. It seems yesterday morning when there was hi koncetrated cleaner in tank, it started ok. But today, with full tank of diesel same smoke like before :(.

#19 White xara 1.6hdi

White xara 1.6hdi

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:41 AM

Hi, guys! I noticed, that i have a far to small battery installed. It seems that they just put something in quickly. It is healthy, but way to small (55A, 520A). Something, that could happen is, that when cold engine, cranck speed is too low. Not enough compression made by crancking.All the charts on the internet are not relating low cranck speed to white smoke, but it is wery much possible.(http://www.autotap.c...uty_diesels.asp) Tomorrow I will try stronger battery from other car.

#20 Ozzie

Ozzie

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

had this on a 2.0 Hdi , slow cranking and then white ( fuel ) smoke when it gets going especially when cold.

thought it was the battery but turned out to be the starter motor.

with a suspect battery try starting with a power pack or jump with another good one connected,  if its still the same probably the starter motor

• White xara 1.6hdi likes this