8 replies to this topic

#1 WTRman

WTRman

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

Hi all. I have a 54 plate Pic 2.0 HDi  90HP (exclusive) that is starting to drive me bonkers with the P0400 range of codes / Engine fault message.

Long story short.

EGR  valve removed & cleaned. Proven to open fully under vacuum, snapping shut again after. EGR pressure converter checked & operates. Replaced MAF for a new pattern part

I have tried the pulling the pipe & plugging it trick, fault codes created within 4 miles driving

I have blanked off the EGR valve fully, fault light & lack of air flow code created. Drilled a 4mm hole in the blanking plate to allow a bleed of air for the MAF to recognise as an air flow, still lack of flow code created. plate removed fully again.

Unfortunately the car is probably the change point where the management system will not allow you to just disconnect the EGR.

Strangely the issue seems to be a warm/hot weather problem, no faults at all during the colder days & winter.

I am fortunate enough to have a neighbour who has access to a trade rated OBD reader (but do not wish to push our good terms too far by continually asking for help)

I had read on the forums & elsewhere of the engine air temp sensor causing issues but I am unable to locate this on my engine, In the MAF I believe.

When using the diagnostic tool we did notice that the EGR was being recognised as opening under acceleration & closing at idle. The air flow (kilo pastels??) should had climbed as the engine revs increased but it was noted that the flow dropped & then picked up again (as if the graph dipped instead of climbing on a steady slope up)

I now have the code P0400, generic exhaust gas recirculation flow & P0402 exhaust excessive gas flow, hinting that the EGR is fully open.

Here's hoping that someone out there recognises this series of events & has some pointers for me to try next.

All in I think its a great car, a little slow & at times gutless, this may be due to the EGR related issue but it does all I need.

Many thanks for any return posts.

#2 WTRman

WTRman

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:04 PM

Update:-

I have currently unplugged the EGR pressure converter (blue plug) & bagged to keep clean. I have also inserted a short length of pipe with a 1.0 / 1.5mm hole in the wall on the pressure converter/EGR pipe, the theory is the valve is opened under vacuum under revs & is allowed to close due to vacuum bleed off at idle.

So far.... about 50 miles travelled at temps from 13 to 23 deg C & no MIL light, Engine fault. Will post any changes & conditions observed.

#3 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:23 AM

I have P0400/0402 reoccurring after clearing on our '05 2.0 Hdi. And it looks like you are banging on the door of an answer.

Could you, if your solution works, restructure your post in a fashion that a 'silver surfer' might understand :blush:

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2008)

#4 WTRman

WTRman

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

I have P0400/0402 reoccurring after clearing on our '05 2.0 Hdi. And it looks like you are banging on the door of an answer.

Could you, if your solution works, restructure your post in a fashion that a 'silver surfer' might understand :blush:

Can you send me a direct e-mail address as unable to upload picture I have adapted.

castlepa40@gmail.com

Wtrman

• discv likes this

#5 WTRman

WTRman

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:01 PM

A picture attached to this edit. (sorry its not bigger)

Unit angled to allow a better picture. Held on by 2 x 6mm rubber stud mounts (10mm socket to release)

Situated on off side, engine bay wall.

2 x pipes 1 - to vacuum cylinder (blue band), 1- to egr valve.

The one with the opaque pipe goes to the EGR. This has a 1.0 /1.5mm hole drilled into it.(6mm o/d pipe used)

Between the 2 pipes is the socket position for the "blue" 2 pin plug. This has been disconnected & wrapped in a bag to keep clean.

I have now driven 200 miles plus with this mod & have not had any further MIL / engine light failures (P0400/0402 codes)

WTRman

Attached Files

• gray likes this

#6 WTRman

WTRman

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:27 PM

Its Been 9months Since I Posted This. No More Egr Faults To Date.
  • gray likes this

#7 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:33 PM

Result

#8 WTRman

WTRman

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 01:49 PM

Well, well. MOT due & guess what! blasted egr codes back again. up to 16 months trouble free. Debating wheather to call it a day with the pic. Will see if garage can do a cheap repair. Only looking for another 12 months from this car anyway. Anyone got a contact who can decode the egr from the system?

#9 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 05:21 PM

Try some EGR cleaner to get it through the MOT.  ;)