Photo

Losing coolant (through bleed nipple on engine?)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 newpicman

newpicman

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

My dad has a 2.0i 05 plate picasso desire, he has noticed his coolant is dropping but can't see any visual leaks. He called yesterday and I had a look at his engine cover bolts which had broken off. I have ordered some off ebay but he noticed to the right of the engine there is a little plastic screw which the cover had been rubbing on. He tightened it up so we don't know if it supposed to be finger tight or loose. Is it a bleed nipple? Could the water be leaking out of here? Thanks in advance for any info.

#2 gittos

gittos

1.6 Blue HDi EAT6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

Yes it could be. Oddly the plastic screw on cover is a very similar size size to a tyre valve dust cap, and it has been known for one to be used as a temporary fix for a damage bleed nipple cover.

• Was - 2002 1.6 Petrol Picasso SX     Then -2009 C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 VTI Petrol   Then- 2015 C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue HDi EAT6 Exclusive   Now..2018 C4 Picasso 1.2 PureTech Feel EAT6

#3 newpicman

newpicman

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:43 PM

Yes it could be. Oddly the plastic screw on cover is a very similar size size to a tyre valve dust cap, and it has been known for one to be used as a temporary fix for a damage bleed nipple cover.

Cheers gittos, will take a look tomorrow.

#4 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,532 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:23 AM

Yes it's the same thread as a tyre valve cover. It's blue apparently because it's a higher temp item. Maybe a metal tyre valve cover would be OK, they usually have a valve core tool on them i.e. looks like a small castle turret. The valve cover should be tight to prevent leak. Usual cause is the engine cover comes loose (mounts break and the cover vibrates against the valve cover and loosen it.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#5 newpicman

newpicman

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:42 AM

Yes it's the same thread as a tyre valve cover. It's blue apparently because it's a higher temp item. Maybe a metal tyre valve cover would be OK, they usually have a valve core tool on them i.e. looks like a small castle turret. The valve cover should be tight to prevent leak. Usual cause is the engine cover comes loose (mounts break and the cover vibrates against the valve cover and loosen it.

Great information Stimulator, are these easy to source, from say eBay etc? If so what are they called? I have tried looking but struggling to find. Would prefer proper item if possible.
Many thanks.

#6 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,532 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

This what the ones I am on about look like. They were common on cars in the good old days.
https://simplybearin...CFUITGwod_oEG8w

and here is correct type, but not blue but not a car valve cover either.
http://www.eurocarca...-valve-cap.html
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#7 newpicman

newpicman

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

This what the ones I am on about look like. They were common on cars in the good old days.
https://simplybearin...CFUITGwod_oEG8w

and here is correct type, but not blue but not a car valve cover either.
http://www.eurocarca...-valve-cap.html

Thanks again for swift reply, I will take a look this afternoon and see if it has just worked loose or if it requires a new one. At least now I know what they call them and what I am looking for.
Cheers.

#8 StefanD

StefanD

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:49 AM

I had  similar problem once and fitted a plastic tyre valve cover as a replacement. I fitted one of the chunkier more robust looking ones without any further problems. If you fit a metal one with the valve extractor on the end, make sure that their is sufficient room between it and any adjacent pipes or cables that could be damaged by rubbing on the sharp ends.

#9 newpicman

newpicman

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:29 PM

Just a quick update, went and replaced the engine cover bolts and tightened the bleed nipple up. All seems to be sound now. Thanks for all the valuable replies.

#10 oldjono

oldjono

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:TBA

Posted 02 September 2018 - 02:32 AM

Loose engine cover / coolant bleed valve problems

Hi All,

A bit more info' on this area - my car is an Xsara Picasso '04 2.0 HDL.  

The engine cover has 4 supports from the engine blockwhich poke through the cover which is then locked in place by 4 'push on' type poppers. 

If a support breaks off from the RHS (facing front of car) side of the cover it will allow the under side of it to rub upon the coolant bleed valve 

and eventually wear through it so that it leaks. 

The coolant bleed valve is located  on the RHS of the thermostat  housing (round, on right above engine) and can be coloured blue and made of plastic.

This is what happened to me and the engine lost enough fluid to light the low coolant message on the dash.

I located the source of the leak by the dried coloured coolant just below the thermostat housing. 

A quick but effective roadside repair was to tightly bind the damaged valve with electrical tape, which after topping up the coolant, got me home.

I ordered 2 new support posts and 2 poppers plus a a bleed valve cap from http://www.eurocarcare.net/, who are a helpful and efficient 

Citroen parts supplier. The cost was not a lot and the parts arrived promptly.

Fitting new cover supports - firstly, find and remove the base of the broken supports. These will appear just like the head of a black plastic bolt

because the upper part has cleanly snapped off. Undo with 13 mm spanner. Locate the 'bolts' using the holes in the cover as guides. 

Unscrew the 'bolt' then screw in the new support/s, they only seem to want to go 'finger tight'. 

Replace the cover using all 4 poppers and job done - nearly.

Remove the old bleed valve cap and replace with the black plastic cap supplied, again just finger tight - job really done now!

NOTE - I have read some correspondence suggesting that an tyre air valve cap can used instead. Don't, as the supplied new cap is of a heat 

proof quality and I think an air valve cap may not be, and possibly could melt or deform and lose coolant.

Hope this helps and you have not fallen asleep yet!

Happy spannering........

Edited by oldjono, 02 September 2018 - 02:35 AM.