50 replies to this topic

#1 davyo

davyo

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:15 PM

Mine went on Saturday on my 2011 c3 picasso @ 73k.I bought the car from Evans halshaw in Sept with an 2 yr warrenty.I took it in yesterday and mentioned that a google search showed it was a very common problem.With that in mind they checked with Citreon if that was the case.So Citreon today have took the car to a Citreon Dealer (still Evans Halshaw) to change the motor and steering rack under Citreon and not my current warrenty (that it would of been covered under thank god).
So just a little heads up for those with this very expensive failure issue.

#2 SepticSid

SepticSid

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

Same here, just failed last night.

Can someone in the know please advise where the power steering bits are?

Are they serviceable/repairable?

I'd hate to payout for a new part all for the sake of a simple repair I can do myself (electronic eng.)

Common faults with the power steering?

#3 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:09 PM

Fluid, pump, connections or Rack ?
Check it has fluid in it first. Has it been leaking ? Belt connected (is it separate to the aux belt ?)

#4 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:47 PM

C3 power steering is electric. Not the same as the C4 or Xsara pic. The system uses a sensor in the column which activate a pump on the rack which sends the fluid around the rack.
  • gray likes this
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#5 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:03 PM

C3 power steering is electric. Not the same as the C4 or Xsara pic. The system uses a sensor in the column which activate a pump on the rack which sends the fluid around the rack.

Ooops - didn't notice it was in the C3 section :)

Sensor/connector ? 

#6 SepticSid

SepticSid

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

OK, took it to my mate Brian who fixes cars all day every day (its handy knowing a chap like Brian lol)

He has diagnosed it as the motor so where can I get a replacement?

I suspect the main dealers want an arm, a leg and my firstborn so is there somewhere you guys know that's better? (as in not so expensive)

2nd hand will do too.

cheers

#7 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:41 PM

There seems to be quite a selection of these on EBay..  how good they are though 2nd hand ? from about £28.50 upwards....

#8 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:25 PM

bite the bullet and go to GSF currently they run 40 to 50% OFF codes
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#9 SepticSid

SepticSid

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:43 AM

Gsf as in gsfcarparts.com ?

where would I get a code from?

Looking on gsf they do not have it listed.

#10 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:55 AM

Gsf as in gsfcarparts.com ?

where would I get a code from?

Looking on gsf they do not have it listed.

I looked on both GSF and ECP (Eurocarparts), but couldn't find one.    It may be worth calling them to see if they can source one.  Try Citroen as well, then can sometimes, but not often (!) be quite cheap on parts.

#11 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:43 PM

OK go here

http://service.citroen.com/docapv/

register and dream up a password. Register as small business if it asks.
The page is in French change to UK England bottom right.
This site allows you to look up parts and numbers for all the Citroen range.
Under C3 Picasso in the POWER STEERING section go to DIESEL TURBO DV6TED4 FAP AND RIGHT HAND DRIVE SINCE RPO 11977, I found two different part numbers for the motor, it depends on the size wheels you have. 15 and 16 inch 16 121 234 80 17 inch 16 121 235 80. Strangely the motor only appears on that particular page as a piece part

Edited by stimulator, 11 January 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#12 SepticSid

SepticSid

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

Cheers, I have entered the VIN and get it as a C3 PICASSO FAMILY SALOON 1.6 VTi 16V 120 (EP6) Manual gearbox 5

which brings back the PN of 1612123380 which appears to be very similar in pricing in europe as the £247.51 that Perrys want.

What I'd like to do is find out more about the motor itself, my mat brian says he has tested and there is power down to the motor, my plan is to strip it down and investigate it further myself.

It may only be winter corrosion on it that can clean off.

We shall see on Friday .

Thanks for the help.

#13 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:38 PM

welcome

#14 SepticSid

SepticSid

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

Before I pay for this new part - are there any sensors or anything  else that can be causing this power steering problem?

Or is it always a case of replace the actual motor assembly?

Also are any electrical diagrams available?

Cheers.

Edited by SepticSid, 14 January 2017 - 10:49 AM.

#15 SepticSid

SepticSid

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:06 PM

Part collected and delivered to someone who is changing it.

I'll do an investigation of the old one when I get it.

#16 SepticSid

SepticSid

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

Ok, an update on this.

The part has been fitted and it now drives a lot better than it did, apparently noises when setting off are gone, the steering is a lot smoother and lighter so the mrs is a lot happier with it and has decided to keep it.

My car on the other hand is destined for being sold off :(

Stlll.... all working now.

I'll try and look at the computer etc for the old power steering module when I get a chance, if I can fix it I'll save it for a replacement when this one goes :)

• gray likes this

#17 davyo

davyo

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

Just an update on my fixed power steering,car was in for nearly 3 days as Citroen had to order in the part,steering rack and motor.They offered a loan car but I refused as I have another motor.If this happens to your C3 pic I would definitely phone Citroen as they took it in no questions asked.The cost is around £1100 for part and labour apparently, I did have the benefit of my 2 yr warranty but Citroen did it through them.Speaking with the services manager when I collected the car,I asked if it's a factory recall and the answer was no.However they are aware of the issue with all Citroen models with this electric PS and Citroen have stated that they will honour any claim.So before going down the DIY route I would advise to call your nearest dealer 1st.
Oh and mines been fine since replaced.

Edited by davyo, 22 January 2017 - 04:56 PM.

• gray likes this

#18 mrickle

mrickle

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

we have a 2011 c3 pic. my wife was driving home yesterday on a major a road when as she turned into a bend, the bleep warning came up with power steering failure and the steering locked up as she describes it. she managed to stop, turned engine off and restarted. message still on screen but steering back to normal. it went again a mile later, so she stopped again but it was still stiff. left it a few mins then message disappeared and it drove back normal. i have an icarsoft cit/pug specific reader, so i searched for codes but nothing was found. i driven it around checked obvious stuff i.e tyre pressures etc etc, but nothing. i put live data on my tool, and turning the wheel the current draw was identical both ways. only thing im not sure if it is normal or not is in the status bar, it kep flashing between active and deactivated. could this be a blip do you think, or start of problems to come. it is under a evans halshaw warranty which we are 1 year in. does anyone have any suggestions or advice please

#19 davyo

davyo

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

I got no previous problem or indication it was going to go and it just went,still could drive but just needed arms like Popeyes's lol. The good news for you as mine like your was with Evans Halshaw 2011 car with 73k on the clock.It was intended to get done on the 2yr warranty I have with them.However when it was took in to where I got it Halshaw Renault, they phoned to say Citroen will cover the repair as it was a known issue.The car was taken to their Citreon branch and new steering rack/motor was fitted with no cost to me or impact on my Evanshalshaw warranty.I suggest you here on to Evans Halshaw and say you know another customer who's car was fixed no questions asked.If they give you beef I will PM you my registration number for them to verify and this should get you fixed as it's about £11000 plus if it's out your own pocket.

Edited by davyo, 05 March 2017 - 11:53 AM.

• mrickle likes this

#20 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:48 PM

hope that the £11000 plus is a typo as car ain't worth that, just being picky as you said £1100 in previous post. Interesting that it was changed with no argument.