17 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony55CPICASSO

Anthony55CPICASSO

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:14 AM

Hi Please can someone help me with this annoying problem that I have.

Bought my 2005 Cireon Picasso with only 45000 miles on the clock. in August 2015. However soon noticed that when I was turning slowly or parking there was a vibration on the steering. Took into garage and it was confirmed that there was a leak in the steering rack. Had this replaced but still vibrating at slow turns and when parking. When I took it back to the garage they said it is the power steering pump that needs to be replaced as it might have been damaged when it ran low out of fluid when I had the leak in the steering rack.I have had this replaced but guess what? No different. When I mentioned this to the mechanic he said that it is the design of the pump that is the problem with this car. Ive never heard such rubbish I have never contemplated this problem before on other cars I have had. Regards,

Anthony.

#2 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:36 PM

Sounds like someone is talk out of his botty.

Never had vibration in my picasso xsara or c4. C3 is electric so diffrrent system.

have checkec that there is nothing rubing on the wheels. What about the pressure switch in the system that increases engine speed when you turn the wheels at low speed to prevent stalling, if dicky then the pump will be running too slow which could give problem. The switch is in the line from the rack back to the pump, mounted in the engine bay.

Edited by stimulator, 04 November 2015 - 07:39 PM.

17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#3 Anthony55CPICASSO

Anthony55CPICASSO

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:04 PM

Thanks very much for that. I will phone the garage up tomorrow and book it in to look at this pressure switch. I will let you know the outcome.

Regards,

Anthony.

#4 Anthony55CPICASSO

Anthony55CPICASSO

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

Hi again update on my Citreon Picasso. Citreon had my car all day on Thursday to check the power sensor switch on the power steering  amongst other things, No faults found. Still have vibration when parking and turning slowly. 

Regards.

#5 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,675 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:16 AM

Problem with todays, so called, mechanics. If it doesn't show a fault code on the computer it is in perfect working order.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#6 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:09 AM

This is where a small backstreet mechanic may win, still using tools and brain power

#7 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:38 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...9-/271422291289

This the switch not really expensive, might be worth getting one and fitting it.

this a demo on a 206 but once you find the switch the action will be the same.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#8 Anthony55CPICASSO

Anthony55CPICASSO

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:46 PM

Many thanks for all of your comments, I will change the pressure switch anyway as it looks quite easy to do. If that still does not cure the problem then I suppose I will have to venture further. Bye the way has anyone else had a similar problem?

Regards,

Anthony.

#9 Anthony55CPICASSO

Anthony55CPICASSO

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:37 PM

Hi update on my Picasso after replacing the power steering pressure switch sensor on the rack. Still no change when turning slowly and when parking. no one seems to know what is wrong because they are saying nothing is wrong. I am not convinced. 

#10 bamba

bamba

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

Steering column UJ ,could either be siezing or worn. Not sure if the next applies, but cars that have 2 UJs on the steering column, if they are not in correct alignment, it will cause a tight spot as the UJs are working against each other. Try with your cars front end up on jacks /stands . Turn the steering wheel without the enging running to see is actually a PAS fault or a mechanical fault.

#11 Landmark

Landmark

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

Whilst your checking the above - make sure your CV joints are ok.

Griff

Griff

2016 C3 Picasso 1.2 Puretech 110 Platinum

#12 Anthony55CPICASSO

Anthony55CPICASSO

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:23 PM

Many thanks for your comments I will try all of the above. I will update when done. Regards, Anthony.

#13 Anthony55CPICASSO

Anthony55CPICASSO

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:22 PM

Hi update on my vibration on my citreon picasso when parking and turning slowly. After the garage telling me that it is this, or it is that and including Citreon the main dealer.

I have managed to sort the problem out myself. On close inspection I noted the power steering hose had a slight kink in it. I undone this and refitted it. Result no more vibration when parking and turning slowly. Hard to believe that so many so called professional  people failed to spot this.

Thank you for all of your help people.

Anthony.

• Nektaf21 likes this

#14 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:15 PM

Problem with todays, so called, mechanics. If it doesn't show a fault code on the computer it is in perfect working order.

Beautifully proven by the outcome. 

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2008)

#15 Nektaf21

Nektaf21

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:52 AM

Hi update on my vibration on my citreon picasso when parking and turning slowly. After the garage telling me that it is this, or it is that and including Citreon the main dealer.

I have managed to sort the problem out myself. On close inspection I noted the power steering hose had a slight kink in it. I undone this and refitted it. Result no more vibration when parking and turning slowly. Hard to believe that so many so called professional  people failed to spot this.

Thank you for all of your help people.

Anthony.

Hi Anthony!

I was trying to figure out what's wrong with my steering wheel and I found your post.
I am glad you found a solution and I will try to do the same as soon as possible.
Just to make sure... is everything still alright with your steering wheel?

Thank you in advance for your reply!
Nektarios

#16 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:38 AM

Normal braking pressure from 50 mph upward give a violent steering wheel shake which fades as speed drops, not the pulsing of ABS although not ruling this out, more like driving with out of balance wheels, have been noticing for a while now that gentle braking gives a slight feeling of brake/ release as you draw to a halt, like oval drums on old cars, it has recently been in for a service and mot, thought it may have failed on disc thickness or contamination related to this fault but it sailed through

#17 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:51 AM

Normal braking pressure from 50 mph upward give a violent steering wheel shake which fades as speed drops, not the pulsing of ABS although not ruling this out, more like driving with out of balance wheels, have been noticing for a while now that gentle braking gives a slight feeling of brake/ release as you draw to a halt, like oval drums on old cars, it has recently been in for a service and mot, thought it may have failed on disc thickness or contamination related to this fault but it sailed through

Sounds like warped disks...  

#18 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:27 AM

Would have expected it to be picked up on the MOT though, maybe Arnold Clark did a rush job