#1 BigAl53

BigAl53

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:09 PM

Hi, 

I have a 59 plate C3 Picasso 1.6 HDI exclusive. My front side lights and one of my headlights stopped working so I popped into my local Citroen dealer to get some new bulbs. 30 minutes later, they came back and said I had a faulty fuse box (since confirmed as broken pins by an independent auto electrician) and that I need a new fuse box, wiring loom and washer pump. This information was obtained by reference to their online faults database. I have been quoted a heck of a lot of money by the dealer to fix this, but my question is: has anyone else on this forum had the same problem? If it's a known fault, shouldn't Citroen be prepared to fix it free of charge (or at least make a significant contribution towards the cost of repair as it's out of warranty)? Any help much appreciated. 

• veclkgjzv likes this

#2 Paul-in-Bath

Paul-in-Bath

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

Hi, I don't have an answer but might share a similar problem as both of my sidelights have stopped working.  I'll leet you know what I find out later this week.

#3 Paul-in-Bath

Paul-in-Bath

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:40 PM

Hi again, my C3 Picasso has just been diagnosed with exactly the problem you have.  Mine is a 2011 model with 21,000 miles.  The cost is likely to be over

#4 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,600 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:45 AM

Is this the engine bay box or the interior bay box?  This is not an uncommon fault on Citroens, there was a recall for the C4 Pic to add more protection to the engine bay to stop water getting in. Maybe worth a punt at Citroen or motoring org or WATCHDOG. Let's face it, it's not tat you have been fiddling around in the box connections is it?

Edited by stimulator, 02 November 2014 - 07:46 AM.

• Retired TD likes this
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#5 Paul-in-Bath

Paul-in-Bath

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:56 AM

Hi, Stimulator, many thanks for your reply.  The fuse-box is in the engine compartment.  As soon as I bought the car I took it to the garage I have used for years to repair the faulty sidelights and they traced the problem to the damaged fuse-box and wiring loom.  Neither I nor anyone else has fiddled with it so far as I know - not the sort of thing to fiddle with, is it?  The more I find out about this problem the more I think that Citroen needs to do something about the design - that so much potentially dangerous and expensive damage can be done by such trivial a fault is truly shocking (forgive the pun!).  I certainly think that this deserves wider publicity.  Any other comments gratefully received.

• Retired TD likes this

#6 BlackCherry

BlackCherry

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:46 AM

Big Al, did your independent auto-electrician suggest he could carry out a cheaper repair to sort the problem as opposed to Citroen's 'replacement' of the wiring?

#7 Paul-in-Bath

Paul-in-Bath

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:38 AM

Hi Big Al - thanks for your response.  Yes, I had the problem diagnosed by an independent and well-respected local garage here in Bath.  Another local auto-electrician advised me that, although they could replace the components, a Citroen dealership would have to reprogram/reboot the computer system and they were unable to do that.  I am going ahead with the repair (

• Retired TD likes this

#8 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:42 AM

Not just daft its gross stupidity, I was always led to believe new models were subjected to months of development tests that would have highlighted this type of design flaw long before it went into production, Has the car market shelved this as a cost cutting measure, same applies to the turbo on the 1.6, special methods of oil changing at prescribed intervals is not the answer, ithas a design fault and it needs addressing.

#9 BlackCherry

BlackCherry

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:03 PM

Jeepers.

Where is this fuse box located, exactly?

Have you tackled Citroen about this?

#10 Paul-in-Bath

Paul-in-Bath

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:42 PM

Hi, thanks for your post: it's the fuse-box in the engine compartment.  It is vulnerable to water ingress from a faulty windscreen washer pump and/or leaking washer bottle.  Water runs along wires back into the fuse-box and damages the connection marked 'PF MARRON".  The amount of corrosion has to be seen to be believed and is potentially catastrophic - imagine driving at night along a tree-lined twisting country road and losing all lights! 

All C3 Picasso owners need to know about this and Citroen needs to recall all affected cars to remedy the fault.  I will be contacting Citroen and will provide photographic evidence of the damage.

#11 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:55 PM

Why not contact VOSA

Edited by Lancelot, 06 November 2014 - 09:01 PM.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#12 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:00 PM

Best to contact VOSA and they will tell Citroen to issue a recall if they think that there is a safety problem.  www.dft.gov.uk/vosa

• Retired TD likes this
The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#13 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:17 PM

My c4 had a similar corrosion problem to the fuse box in the same area, different cause I think, so its again, another design fault

Edited by granpa, 06 November 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#14 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,600 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

CONTACT BBC WATCHDOG today. They thrive on this sort of thing.
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#15 Paul-in-Bath

Paul-in-Bath

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:17 PM

Just got the car back -

#16 BlackCherry

BlackCherry

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:11 AM

That is just bludy shocking :-(

I mean, you'd expect that kind of money for a new engine or 'box, but a water-damaged fusebox?!  Jeepers...

For what it's worth, I have asked 'Honest John' for his thought on this.  I'll report back on any answer he may give.

#17 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,600 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:36 AM

You say that this is water from the washer system. So how does the water get from there to the fuse box, is it along the outside of the wires or capillary action along the actual inside on the conductors?
  • Retired TD likes this

#18 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:29 PM

Likewise pump and /or washer bottle, aren't they down in the wings, pretty sure mine was rainwater on the fusebox

Edited by granpa, 09 November 2014 - 01:32 PM.

#19 Paul-in-Bath

Paul-in-Bath

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:54 PM

Thanks to everyone for your posts.  The cost breakdown: total parts,

#20 Paul-in-Bath

Paul-in-Bath

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:03 PM

Oh yes: only the 'MARRON' plugs were damaged - all others appear to be in good condition.