Photo

Radio change old one works new one doesn't but does in other cars?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jamiesmith

Jamiesmith

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Hi all, can anyone help with this strange one.

I have plugged a new radio (sonichi dab) and it fired up initially, but now does not. I have checked the 20amp fuse and that is ok.

I place the old unit back in the Car and it works fine??

I have tried the new rad in another citroen and it works, took it to halfords and it works fine, just not in the citroen C4 we have.

As I said I have changed fuse although was not blown and have also left the battery disconnected for 20 mins then tried again and same scenario?

Am I missing a secret hidden fuse or is the car just not happy with the quality of radio :)

Please help

Thanks
  • semisizaqor, GeorgeNax, PhillipCax and 15 others like this

#2 Jamiesmith

Jamiesmith

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

I am new to this but is this williamtam a trouble maker?

#3 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

I am new to this but is this williamtam a trouble maker?

The forum seems to have become a target for weirdly named spammers !

#4 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

Like Gypsies they just choose a pitch, contaminate then move on

#5 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,604 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

Hi firstly you will note that the rubbish post has been removed by the webmaster Glen. We get attacked like that from time to time. This time it was really bad.

Your original radio has two power feeds, the power for useing the head and a memory power for when the ignition is off. Are they both there. I don't have a C4 Pic anymore so can't advis ethe pin number or the fuse number for both of them.

When some different heads are fitted the power an dthe memory power leads have to be reversed to get proper operation.

17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#6 Jamiesmith

Jamiesmith

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

Thanks off your post, both leads and feeds are there and it worked once then popped and not again since, but fuses are ok? Is there a fuse for both feeds?

#7 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,604 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

Yes, one via the BSI the other direct from the battery. The BSI one is switched by the ignition, powers radio when ignition ON. The other from the battery is for the memory. 8/10 replacement after market heads need these changing over.

On the C3 saloon wiring diagrams there are 6 fuses shown that can affect the radio head circuit.

MF7 labled ignition switch 20 to 80 amps (if car runs OK then this can be assumed to be OK

MF5 labled built in system interface 20 to 80 amps if other things work then can be assumed to be OK

F8 Engine management

BSI fuses

F4 20A  Steering wheel swicthes, clock display,RADIO, automatic transmission

F14 10A Steering wheel switches, airbag, RADIO

F15 15A Instrument panel, RADIO, air conditioning 

Edited by stimulator, 26 March 2014 - 08:11 AM.

Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#8 Jamiesmith

Jamiesmith

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

Thanks stimulator, I'll check them out and report back

Thank you

#9 Jamiesmith

Jamiesmith

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

Hi guys,

Checked the fuses under the dash and they are all fine???.

Have tried the radio again but nothing, thought reseating them might have worked, but still no joy?

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

Jamie

#10 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,604 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

does the old head still work?

#11 Olias2k9

Olias2k9

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Family, Friends, decent movies, being old.

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

Did halfods remember to tell you to change the aerial on your car to a DAB one which they sell. Remeber they change staff more often than stock.

DAB aerials are different to normal ones and have to be fitted to a car for the unit to work. I had that issue then found out DAB is one of these new fads and went back to my old radio with RDS and TA that interrupts the cd. The stations on DAB are larger than the ones on normal radio, FM , but theres a kicker in the pipes. In the near future DAB will get to be old hat and the next batch of radio reception will come out.

DAB works on a whole different frequency band than FM and hence the aerial needs to be changed and some even need a preamp in certain areas. Its just like turning off the old TV screens to get everyone on a flat screen, then flat screens went to HDTV, the HDTV went to smart TV, then SmartTV went to all in one PC's then all in one PC's went to........... See where this is going. Its a money spinner. FM is still going to be on the air when our beloved XPics are recycled to beercans.

Sorry that Halfords didnt mention the new aerial. The ones they sell if memory serves are the ones like the old sun strips that stick across the top of the windscreen and wires tuck down behind the plastic cover that never comes off without breaking. Oh and depending where you live in England, its like broadband, some places youll get it, London, Birmingham, Glasgow, and other places like Barkston Heath, Woodhall Spa, Skegness, not a glimmer of it. I just spent £180 on a DAB for my tower system, then got told there would be an extra charge of £75 to have a guy fit me a new DAB aerial on my chimney and then I would need planning permission to have the aerial, yada yada yada, the guy got his radio back i got my money back and was still able to listen to radio 4 and 2 whenever I wanted in my living room.

So DAB buyers beware of ill informed sales persons. DAB radios generally require DAB aerials, although some cars aerials especially if they are electronic in nature may not. Check with your dealer.

To quote my grandad "If it doesnt work right your either not hitting it hard enough or using too small a hammer", he was a man of profound knowledge in the automotive trade.