#1 sofnet2000

sofnet2000

2.0Hdi (2002) Excl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

Hi all

I am getting fed up changing my drop links every couple of months, i had them changed last year in a garage with 12 month warranty, i had to go back to the garage 3 times during the year to have them changed until they refunded the money and asked me not to come again.

Surely the drop links should last more than 2-3 months, tried to ask the garage to find why they are going so soon, they couldn't be bothered

I want to find out why? any one had a similar problem or knows why they failing so soon your input is much appreciated.

I have 1.6 HDI exclusive 70k on the clock with no more than 9000 miles /year

Thanks

• semisizaqor, JosephbuG, Robertdax and 19 others like this

C4 GP 1.6 HDI Exclu 2007 

#2 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

Mine have also started rattling again after only a few months, I question if it is down to atrocious roads or garages using copy parts from motor factors

#3 pjg

pjg

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music, Motorbikes, Cars, Computers,

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

Could be cheap parts or something else is failing putting extra pressure on the drop links,

12 Berlingo Multispace 1.6HDI VTR H White

09 C4 Picasso 1.6 HDI VTR+ Metallic Blue Replaced after 1 week due to ECU failure 

52 Picasso 2.0Hdi Silver - Passed on to Son

#4 sofnet2000

sofnet2000

2.0Hdi (2002) Excl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

i have replaced last ones myself with the most expensive drop links (£50 a pair) back in December and after 3 months i am back to square one! 

could it be shock absorbers? i can't figure it out! even mechanic did not think of anything!

C4 GP 1.6 HDI Exclu 2007 

#5 blondchaser

blondchaser

1.6 Hdi (Royal Blue)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • Interests:fast trucks and even faster women.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

Check for broken springs

#6 sofnet2000

sofnet2000

2.0Hdi (2002) Excl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

Check for broken springs

do you mean shock springs? you broken as snapped? i thought they were very strong and durable !

C4 GP 1.6 HDI Exclu 2007 

#7 pjg

pjg

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music, Motorbikes, Cars, Computers,

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

They are strong..... BUT the picasso has a habit of snapping coil springs,both of mine were snapped on last MOT, We are not alone there either i have at least 3 mates who drive Fords and have had the same problem. Coil springs snapping.

12 Berlingo Multispace 1.6HDI VTR H White

09 C4 Picasso 1.6 HDI VTR+ Metallic Blue Replaced after 1 week due to ECU failure 

52 Picasso 2.0Hdi Silver - Passed on to Son

#8 taffy001

taffy001

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

when you say drop links, is this whats causing the knocking from the drivers side when i turn the steering to the right or is it something else wrong with mine other then the drop link. i am no mechanic and do not have a clue, but this seems to be the best place to get answers.

#9 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

Drops links usually knock when going over bumps/potholes.  I've only had the one coil spring snap... so far !!  Knocking when turning the steering could be a number of things - if it knocks/clicks whilst moving on a tight turn, then it could be the CV joint.

#10 merton

merton

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

have you checked the anti roll bar bushes? if these are badly worn maybe they are causing the over wear on the drop links.   Cheap ones are crap , you get what you pay for, sometimes you get screwed on price for cheap parts paying too much, use a brand thats trusted.  What is happening to the drop links, are they breaking or worn ball joints? there must be something else wrong causing the links to go,  i would get a full suspention set up check to find whats causing the problem.  Are there any other suspension problems? uneven tyre wear? knocks or rattles? play in wishbone bushes? i've seen some terrible wear on the wishbones with loads of play, which must stress other components of the suspension. use somethin like lemforder or boge, moog, not QH or trw i found this place, http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/ ,  better priced on most, than eurocarparts or gsf. i wouldn't use there cheaper stuff tho. 

#11 Charliee

Charliee

2.0 Hdi Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

Drop links seem to knock long before any discernable play evident. A bit of lube in the gaiters seems to help, packing with grease when replacing prolongs life. Also the slightest tension on them stops the knock - I tried winding a ring of old inner tube rubber (remember them!!) round, and they became quiet....

#12 sofnet2000

sofnet2000

2.0Hdi (2002) Excl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

Drop links seem to knock long before any discernable play evident. A bit of lube in the gaiters seems to help, packing with grease when replacing prolongs life. Also the slightest tension on them stops the knock - I tried winding a ring of old inner tube rubber (remember them!!) round, and they became quiet....

how did you do that?

C4 GP 1.6 HDI Exclu 2007 

#13 Charliee

Charliee

2.0 Hdi Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

watch anyone with long hair to see how they tie it back.......... then do that around the ball joint!

I'm not claiming this as an engineering cure, but it may work as a simple diagnostic to prove where a clonk comes from!

#14 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:22 AM

Are you masking a noise that is warning you of possible component failure

#15 Charliee

Charliee

2.0 Hdi Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

Are you masking a noise that is warning you of possible component failure

No, read my words:  - not ... cure......  and: -diagnotic....

Edited by Charliee, 25 March 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#16 rayl5

rayl5

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

strip on of these down and you will see why they fail often, its a plastic cup with a metal ball and hardly any grease in there, they need a grease nipple fitting if possible

#17 PembsPanther

PembsPanther

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Technology
    Food :)

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

`My drivers side one has popped off, been like that for a week or 2 now it is on my to do list over the next few days, when fitting a new one how do you make everything line up? At the moment the top of the link is about 2 inches above where it has snapped off the ball joint, even when jacked up it is still a good inch away, do I have to compress the spring or something?

#18 rayl5

rayl5

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

the way i did it was.......i jacked up the car with a trolly jack under the side of the car then used another jack under the suspension to to line things up,