• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

I can vividly recall the very first time I used a motorway, it was the M1 and had not been opened long, I pulled in at the start of the slip road and as recommended at the time, reduced all my tyre pressures by a couple of PSI's to prevent tyres exploding, got back into the driving seat and put on the little used seat belt, feeling like I was in the Steve McQueen movie 'Bullitt', then accelerating down the sliproad onto the M1, slowly nursing the old Anglia up to 70, it felt like flying. Not long after the big end went, maybe that's why I remember
  • GeorgeNax, Robertdax, Ronniemuch and 15 others like this

#2 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

Being from the 'Islands' originally, the 1st time was on a motorway was when I was about 19, driving from Slightly North of John O Groats to Bedford.  Think the motorway started around Edinburgh in 1984 (M90 ?) .  Had to change the brake pads on my Maxi before driving home again.  Bit of a culture shock !

#3 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,587 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Was taken on the original M1 open section in my dad's Vauxhall WYvern reg RAH990. In 1959. Heady stuff, nospeed limit.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#4 Border_Collie

Border_Collie

2.0 Hdi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

1959 went up the M1, not long after it was opened, on my motorbike. No crash barriers (or crash helmet), only the odd car about, no speed limit, got my bike up to just under the magic 'ton'. Never realised it would use more fuel and had to use reserve on the way home at a steady 50 mph until I found a garage. Only had half a crown (12.5p) so could only top up with half a gallon. Made it home though. I wish I could remember how long it took.

#5 Stan.S.

Stan.S.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

I vaguely remember driving on Britain's first motorway, the Preston by pass, which opened in 1958. Two lanes each side and eight miles long. Quite an experience in its day.
C4 Picasso, 1.6 HDi, VTR+ EGS . 61 plate. Arctic steel.

#6 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

Glad I'm not driving the old Anglia now trying to pass, rephrase that, keep up with the traffic on the very congested m'ways, it had a nought to sixty time approaching 30 seconds

#7 bvs

bvs

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation related,Malt Whisky,Music,Cycling

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:15 PM

My first mway drive was in 1971 in my Austin A40 Cambridge YKX971 (no - not the little Farina model : ))...1200 cc of pulsating power and with a column change mechanism so worn I had to scrape the wheel to get 1st and 2nd : ) !

But the thing I remember most was not actually the driving experience but more the 'Van' I saw in the mirror ,I was thrashing along at 60mph and then the 'Van' just pissed past me like I was standing still...first time I ever saw a Range Rover LOL

2009 C3 picasso 1.6 hdi vtr+

Previous inc a couple of zx diesels,zantia diesel !

#8 bvs

bvs

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation related,Malt Whisky,Music,Cycling

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:53 AM

On reflection - the best thing about that car was the starting handle ! - very useful : )

2009 C3 picasso 1.6 hdi vtr+

Previous inc a couple of zx diesels,zantia diesel !