#1 mpike

mpike

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

Hi Guys

Wondering if you can offer any suggestions with regards a creaking near side wheel.

When I turn the steering wheel to the right for the last 1/2 a turn the left wheel creaks, moving the wteering wheel between fully right and 1/2 a turn back it creaks, at no other point does the wheel creak, it is just at the extreme of a right wheel lock.

I've took off the tyre and tried another tyre and it does the same, strangely I found that if I jack up the chassis (on the near side) even by a very small amount like 1 cm, the creaking stops even though the tyre is still fully in contact with the ground. Removing the left tyre completely and having the car jacked up the creaking doesn't occur either.

I'm thinking ball joint or track rod end issue, does that seem about right?

I've only had the car about 4 weeks so i'm not used to working on them at all. It's a Citreon Xsara Picasso, 1.6 petrol, 54 plate.

Many regards

Martin

• semisizaqor, Michaelbok, Garrettevop and 20 others like this

#2 hotpoint

hotpoint

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

Hi It sounds like it could be the top strut bearing they are about £12 quid on ebay

#3 mpike

mpike

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

Fantastic knowledge hotpoint!

Had it in at garage yesterday to take a look at it, the rubber boot on the track rod ball joint is slightly loose on one side but isn't making a noise at the moment, they did find a very small amount of play in the top strut bearing (as you said hotpoint), so going to replace it in a few weeks.

Brilliant! :)

Cheers

Martin