col21

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

Hi

I'm new to this forum.

I have just bought a 08 Exclusive C4 Picasso (44k) and as this suspension is all new to me.  

I noticed on a couple of occasions that it looked low at the back in the morning, more so one one side, however I would get in and it would adjust itself so I thought it was normal.  However one evening I went to the supermarket and  when I came back to the car it looked really low on both sides as you could not see the tops of the tires.  I started the engine and a warning flagged "don't exceed 5 mph".  I panicked and didn't know what to do, however I decided to reverse out slowly and the suspension sorted itself out.

I have since done some research and discovered it to be a common fault.  I took it back to the garage and they sent it to Citroen dealer to test and it came back with no fault!! they are nor prepared to replace the airbags, my argument is that this could happen again and I could be stranded somewhere.

Could it be something else that is causing it? such as a valve or compressor or something electrical?

Thanks

• semisizaqor, Roberttony, CarlosOr and 15 others like this

#2 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,587 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

Have a look on the Citroen C4 owners site, common fault an dthere are ways around it.

• col21 likes this
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#3 gittos

gittos

1.6 Blue HDi EAT6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

Best resolution to the problem is to get the car converted to coil spring suspension, which will cost less than fixing the air suspension and stop theproblem coming back which it probably will. The problem is that you can have a small leak in an air bag which puts excess strain on the compressor trying to keep it inflated leading to compressor failure. Go to c4owners.org and use the search box at the top of the page. Good luck

• Was - 2002 1.6 Petrol Picasso SX     Then -2009 C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 VTI Petrol   Then- 2015 C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue HDi EAT6 Exclusive   Now..2018 C4 Picasso 1.2 PureTech Feel EAT6

#4 col21

col21

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

Best resolution to the problem is to get the car converted to coil spring suspension, which will cost less than fixing the air suspension and stop theproblem coming back which it probably will. The problem is that you can have a small leak in an air bag which puts excess strain on the compressor trying to keep it inflated leading to compressor failure. Go to c4owners.org and use the search box at the top of the page. Good luck

Thanks for reply, the problem I have is that I have only just bought the car from the garage so they are not going to agree to pay for coil spring conversion as at the moment Citroen dealer has not found a fault.

#5 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,587 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

Sale of goods act, local trading standards first port of call if garage are messing about.

17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#6 Barrowboybill

Barrowboybill

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Antiques & Collectables, Touring around in Motorhome, Owning & Flying light aircraft.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:14 PM

We have an Exclusive on a 57 plate,  which we purchased from Luffields with a Citroen select warranty and only 15 000 miles on it,  just 1 month out of warranty the compresser unit for the suspension failed,  faced with an £800 bill we talked to Citroen and they covered the cost of compresser,  now 14 months later and a total of 50 000 miles one of the suspension airbags is failing and thats being quoted at £281 a side,   so I like the C4 picasso but shall make sure I never buy another car with air suspension on the rear,  just not worth the extra grey hairs and expense.

Oh yes and our local dealer did not find the fault when it was hooked up to computer either,  it took a couple of phone calls by Marshalls to Citroen to diagnose the fault as a pin hole in the air spring, 

Edited by Barrowboybill, 16 April 2014 - 12:17 PM.

Bye Bye Xsara Picasso's......Hello 2 off 1600hdi EGS so its VTR+ for me and Exclusive for her ladyship.

#7 gittos

gittos

1.6 Blue HDi EAT6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

Go to C4owners.org and use the search box and type c4 spring conversion, you can easily and cheaply convert the car to coil springs

• Was - 2002 1.6 Petrol Picasso SX     Then -2009 C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 VTI Petrol   Then- 2015 C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue HDi EAT6 Exclusive   Now..2018 C4 Picasso 1.2 PureTech Feel EAT6