#1 Valhalla

Valhalla

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

Evening all,

Anyone know how quick the DVLA act on getting info on un-taxed cars?. I've got two idiot neighbours who have got cars with out of date tax on them. One from January this year and the one that is more alarming is October last year ! Both of the owners are not your typical boy racers who would struggle or forget to do the tax every year. One is a teacher and the other person we don't actually know what he does.

I'm worried that these people might have an accident in un-taxed cars that might also be un-insured.

Cheers

Mathew

(52 Citroen Xsara Picasso HDI)

• GeorgeNax, JosephKine, JosephbuG and 19 others like this

#2 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

Give the Police a call, as you say its the consequences IF something happens

#3 jimmk

jimmk

1.6 (8v) 2004 Petrol XPic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

put in the car reg  www.askmid.com

"I don't think this debate is negative, it is enriching"
Xsara Picasso 1.6 8v Desire 2 (petrol) 2004 SAHARA GOLD

#4 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:41 PM

It will get worse when they stop issuing tax discs and rely on the "eye" catching people, although the DVLA are normally pretty hot.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#5 crickleymal

crickleymal

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

They don't in my experience. I reported our local drug dealer several years ago on several occasions for not having tax but to no avail.

Malc

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

#6 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,587 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

The law states that you must (at present) have a valid tax disc showing on a car that is driven OR left parked on a public road. If it doesn't then it can be towed and possibly crushed. So near us is a red mini that is kept under a car cover so that the tax disc is not visible. The police were called and eventually turned up. The cover was removed and the police went away happy. But the cover was then put back ON. The car is also blocking a dropped kerb (again illegal) preventing pushchair / wheel chair use. BUt does that count bet your life it doiesn't BUT if I dare to exceed the speed limit by 1 mph +10% wham points and fine. 

17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#7 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

Many [common sense] rules have fallen by the wayside; parking in the direction of traffic flow to ensure your reflectors showed your vehicle, lighting on skips dumped in the road, pavement parking, cyclop cars with only one front [or rear] light in working order, cars still throwing out dense smoke, the list is endless if you really think about it, the fuzz could have a field day if they took the trouble but life is easier sitting in their patrol cars

Edited by granpa, 20 March 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#8 Valhalla

Valhalla

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

Afternoon all,

An up-date, The cars are still on the road! they are still showing the out of date tax discs and the DVLA/Police haven't been done the street to act of the information I have given them. I know this as I'm currently house bound from a back operation and can see the cars leaving every morning with the people going to and from work. So what the point of being a responsible person of the community and reporting stuff that's not right and nothing getting done about it! I had a situation about 5 weeks ago when 4 youth broke into a yard and started to smash up a builders yard, luckily I had the owners number as I've done business with him in the past, I rang him up and said the following :-

ME:- Hi Mr XXXXX It's Mr XXXX from XXXX

MR X:- Hello How can I help you today?

ME:- I live near to your yard and 4 youths have broke in and are smashing up some of your stock! you better get down here quick. I'm going to call the police after calling you.

MR X:- Don't call the police, it takes them 15 minutes to arrive as they have to come from XXXX as the local police station is closed on a weekend.

ME:- OH Crap! better get here quick them.

End of call.

I then rang the police who in fact did turn up before the owner and arrest the 4 youth for breaking and entering, criminal damage, and i think 5 other offences. I got a knock on the door the next day from the guy at the builders yard who thanked me for calling him as it saved him alot of money as it turned out the youths also had started a fire in part of the yard which could have turned nasty.

I think another call to the police tomorrow or maybe a call to the DVLA again might get them to act, but then again who knows.

Will keep you informed.

Mathew.

#9 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Maybe they keep drugs or firearms in the untaxed cars ;)

#10 crickleymal

crickleymal

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

I have never seen the DVLA act on out of date tax discs. As for the police, I count myself lucky if I see one patrol car per week, and I commute 100 miles a day (mostly motorway). How on earth they are supposed to enforce the any road traffic laws is anyone's guess.
Malc

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

#11 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

Are there no Community Support Officers in your area you could collar, what about local authority traffic wardens, seen them in our area booking cars parked at a bus stop.

#12 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,587 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:18 AM

Much as I like my rates frozen the reduction in some services is a reflection on this. This year my rates went up 0.2% for the police. Now we have here an indication where the problem is really a different ministry, not HOME OFFICE but DVLA. So the cops don't really want to know as it means paperwork. Simple solution as a good guy send a picture of the car windscreen to the chief constable with letter saying you're worried about clear up rate or if you have one the commisioner in your area or better still the local paper.

however to put this in prespective my neighbour got caught in a mobile speed trap this week 35 in a 30 and as he got caught less than 3 years ago he can't go on the remedial training course, but the cops had time for that, as it brings in MONEY with little effort. 

17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#13 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

It is very frustrating this sort of situation, you would imagine the cops etc would be grateful to get info like this, sods law if you or I were to do it we would be caught immediately

#14 Valhalla

Valhalla

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

Evening all,

Quick up-date, 1 car now has new tax disc with today date on and the other was loaded onto a low loader this afternoon after it was discovered that the driver of said car didn't have insurance on it, The owner apparently could not afford neither car insurance or car tax but could afford diesel to run the car and had the car taken away from her despite her strong and quite bad language protest.

Thanks for all advice given.

Mathew

Edited by Valhalla, 28 March 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#15 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:11 AM

Were you having a good chuckle behind the curtain, I would. Success !!!

#16 Valhalla

Valhalla

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

I was loving it loads, why should I sit back and not do anything when these tax dodgers are getting away without paying what is an essential part of owning a road worthy car. I'll be having a drink tonight for sure.

Mathew

• gray likes this

#17 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

100% with you, well done

#18 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

Nice one !

#19 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:42 AM

do you know which party initiated the response, police or DVLA ?

#20 mark1316

mark1316

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

I agree that everyone should be taxing their cars and its an offence not to . But its an offence that the Road tax money is not used fix the bloody roads local to me . I have seen reports from Afghan with better roads than the UK.

I also dont understany why people on bikes do not need to pay to use the roads ? They complained the drains were the wrong way round and their wheels could get caught in them. They were changed . I  complain I bust and alloy in a poy hole and got told to make a claim lol .

I always have tax on my car but what are we really paying for ?