Photo

Goodby Faithful Picasso

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

After  9 years and 10 months I've said goodby to my Picasso.  Having owned about 23 cars and driven many others including Mercs, Jags, BMW and a Bentley it may sound crazy but the PIC is the one that I thoroughly enjoyed owning.  It never let me down, was extremely comfortable, easy to get in and out of. Many cars I struggle just to get in, but the KIA Venga that I've just bought is just as easy as the PIC.  I struggle with a neighbour's C type Merc in Oz and the brother in laws L-R Freelander, having to almost double up to get in.

Unlike some, I'll still visit this site at least twice a day and if I can add anything I will, but you are all lucky to have many "experts" to help you. Thankfully I've not needed help.

• gray, Flynnwca, GeorgeNax and 18 others like this
The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#2 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

My condolences on you sad loss Lance, they say time is a great healer but when it relates to the xpic sadly it fails, still regret passing mine on to my son, who wrote it off, it was a faithfull servant, nay, almost a member of the family. A thousand curses upon the idiots at Citroen for discontinuing it

#3 Stan.S.

Stan.S.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

As you know Lance, I had the same model and colour for seven years and it was great.   I hope yours went to a good home!  :)

Keep in touch and look me up if you ever get near Llandudno.

S.

C4 Picasso, 1.6 HDi, VTR+ EGS . 61 plate. Arctic steel.

#4 Stan.S.

Stan.S.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

And the colour was 'old man's beige' which was appropriate for us of course.  :D

C4 Picasso, 1.6 HDi, VTR+ EGS . 61 plate. Arctic steel.

#5 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,587 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

The curtain comes down on another OAP production. Yes keeeping the same car for many years does seem to b eworthwhile but eventually the signs of age creep in and the modern vehicles bits and pieces finally sway the owner to pastures new.

In my cas ethe Xsara Pic I OWNED FROM 51 REG TO 07, was replaced by a C3 on a 07 plate. That eventually went to pastures new in exchange for a secondhand C4 Pic (wrong choice as it happened) and that was replaced in double quick tyime by a new C3 Pic.

Over the years I ahve had many cars 99% of which were new when they came to me, those that were 2nd hand were soon got rid of, but then that's my choice. 

Good luck lancealot with your new toy, may it serve you well.

17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#6 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

Many thanks to all, but as it was almost 10 years old, and although running well, a few things needed doing and it would continue year after year. At almost 77 I have to think that I may not have too many more years of driving so a replacement was appropriate.

How about the Venga?  Well, it has plenty of room, is comfortable. It's white and as we collected it the heavens opened. We went for a 78 mile run and went on some roads where farmers had deposited lots of mud on the road so now it is filthy.  I might even wash it myself to start with.  Haven't washed the Pic myself for years having, firstly, used a car wash and latterly a hand wash nearby.  I suppose I'll revert to having it washed by others soon though, locally it only costs £3.

As to the Pic as happens with most dealerships part exchanges it will go to auction, but I'm happy that it will give many more years of satisfaction to someone, hopefully.  Now to think where we can go for a 100 mile run, sorry drive, tomorrow!

#7 edward ward

edward ward

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:all sorts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

hear ye hear ye so Lancelot is deserting France so it seems ,he will be summoned to stand in front of  Angela  marcel

forth with and sent on trial for treason and will be fined 50euros to help fill the black hole deficit  and will have to say

200 hail Marys a day for 3 weeks for mentioning a forbidden make of vehicle ,and on release from the dungeon will

be sent to the  stocks  for 2 days for the French to throw croissants and kippers at him, so beware and take heed all you

that might be thinking of going away don't let temptation drive you down this road lol        

#8 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

Brochure for Skoda arrived, may test drive the Roomster and Yeti

#9 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

Both good cars granps but neither fitted my bill.  No "proper" auto-box.  Most manufacturers are moving from fluid flywheel auto to dual clutch manual boxes controlled by electronics or to the elastic band type.

#10 edward ward

edward ward

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:all sorts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

WHAT did I see that right another  traitor by the name of granpa deserting the French, send him down to the gallows you shout 

stretch him on the table let the French foreign legion take him feed him to the lions for such sins until he repents lol   

#11 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

The move has not been made yet, just strongly considered since I started driving the C3 pic a bigger turn-off I've yet to find, I have thought about the Scenic but too many reliability issues, Peugeot and VW asking too much, Ford & Vauxhall too nickable, somehow don't particularly fancy the Far East products. Had Skoda before, an old technology Favorit, utterly reliable and good load carrier, once or twice down on its bump stops with bricks and paving flags in the rear.

#12 blondchaser

blondchaser

1.6 Hdi (Royal Blue)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Interests:fast trucks and even faster women.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:10 PM

Well, well, well, Lance of all people selling his Xpic. Shame on you Lance. As Granpa says, Citroen don't deserve to be selling cars since they discontinued the Xpic.

However, this is the time of year that many of us think about replacing our car,  Blond and I just can't find a replacement for the Pic. We need a car that allows easy entry and exit, and as comfortable a seat as the Pic. There appears to be nothing out there that can compare. (I must check out Venga)

Stim, what are the problems associated with a C4 pick???

I have just returned from Algarve where we were given a new Opel Astra diesel estate as a free upgrade hire. In over 50 years of driving (mostly bangers) this is undoubtedly the worst car I ever had. My back still hurts from trying to enter/exit this heap. The seats were dreadful and one would need an electronics degree to know how to operate this vehicle.

LONG LIVE THE XPIC

#13 blondchaser

blondchaser

1.6 Hdi (Royal Blue)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

Have just checked out Venga on the computer and it seems impressive for that type of car.

However, I checked out the "Specs" and it falls slightly short of the Xpic in the towing department. If we were to sell the caravan, I would seriously consider the Venga as a replacement for the Pic.

One thing which sets it apart from all the others, is that for people like Blond, who require an armrest in the front, this ticks the box.

#14 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

The Venga certainly fits the entry and exit question for me. I don't have to work it out before I try to get in or out as I do with so many other vehicles . We use a taxi every Saturday night and so very many of them I struggle to get in and out of.  The Venga looks small on the outside but is quite large inside.

#15 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

Not considered the Berlingo Lance

#16 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

It doesn't have an auto-box  gramps.

#17 Grandad

Grandad

2.0 HDI SX, in Silver to match her hair.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Interests:Travel, building web sites, photography, inventing.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

My eleven year old manual diesel is still going strong and passed its MOT with flying colours yesterday.

I damaged it for the first time last week by backing into a bollard. The only damage it sustained was a cracked rear nearside lens, it cost £30 for a new one. I discovered that the lens clips are very strong!

Hi to all my old mates.

#18 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,587 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

Re Blondchaser q about C4 Pic.

Mine was an ex motability 1.6 110HP VTR+, which SWMBO thought we would like, as she had become tired of the bumpy rid ein the C3 Saloon we had, 07 Reg.

So we bought it. Has 6 speed EGS. While I quite liked the car, the EGS took a lot of getting used too. It juddered which didn't help, that was 99% cured by a recal. The Electronic handbrake was OK but SWMBO hated it and the EGS and to make matters worse the ride was harsh and crashy. The front setas both had collapsed cushions sides. it's abig car inside bigger that an Xpic and we didn't need all that space either. Was economic far better than our Xpic was thatw e used to ahve.

So we got rid of it after 6 moinths, and bought a wonderful C3 Pic. Yes I know that Grandpa hates his but ours is a 2012 model, last before the face lift and we love it. SWMBO likwe all of it. has averaged 54 mpg since we bought, came with 3 years free service and maint and 0% finance.

17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#19 blondchaser

blondchaser

1.6 Hdi (Royal Blue)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

How are you getting on with these seats Lance?  Are they as comfy as the Pic?

#20 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

No problem with the seats and I'm not easy to please as I've had back trouble for over 30 years, plus over 6 feet and 19 stone.  The ride is not as good as the PIc, a bit more bumpy, but not too bad, wife hasn't mentioned it, so far. 

After 311 miles in a week I'm still not used to the very direct, and light, steering compared to the Pic. It is not hydraulic but electric.  According to the salesman many mfrs are turning from hydraulics as electrics are less likey to present problems.

Mpg for the 311 miles covered has worked out at 35.4 but remember its a 1.6 petrol automatic.  Expect a bit more when its got more miles on the clock.  The auto is much smoother change than the Pic. and the engine even quieter.

At this stage would I buy the Venger again - yes.

I left several ex-business cards around the Pic so hopefully whoever gets it at an auction will contact me.  I still log onto this site at least twice a day and will continue to.  I enjoyed the Pic so very much.

• gray likes this