• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

It may be about 5 years since we parted company with the good old cathode ray television and bought our first flat screen model, an LG 20", after 3 years of good service it developed the dreaded 'green line' and we went shopping for a replacement settling on a Hitachi Combi which would enable us to get rid of the DVD player, haven't the sets got thinner and lighter, problem being that despite all the different settings I just could not find a satisfactory audio for the speakers, they all sounded a bit tinny, the payoff for thinning down speakers, did a bit of research and was impressed by a pair of Logitech Z120 speakers at less than £14 getting very impressive user reviews so took the plunge and got myself a set, what a difference, they really bring back quality sound, no hassle installing them, jack plug into the headset socket and a USB plug into the TV and that's it.

12 months later I replaced another CR TV in the front room so opted for another, but a bit bigger Hitachi Combi, this time ordering another set of these speakers at the same time, still remain impressed, thoroughly recommend them..

#2 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

Are you saying that I should part with my 12" black & white TV and go to colour? I would if I thought that there were any programmes worth watching.

Edited by Lancelot, 16 January 2014 - 09:15 AM.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#3 Stan.S.

Stan.S.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

Now don't go rushing things Lance - you'll be changing your trusty old Pic next!  :D

Granpa that sounds a good inexpensive upgrade for TV sound improvement.   These flat screen TVs are fine but they don't leave much room for decent speakers so the sound is often not as good as some of the old TVs.  I have just treated myself to a Panasonic soundbar with sub woofer for my Panasonic TV and there  is a big improvement, but at much greater cost of course.

C4 Picasso, 1.6 HDi, VTR+ EGS . 61 plate. Arctic steel.

#4 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Some truth in that Stan, I'm wondering about a Vauxhall Meriva 1.4 petrol auto mit cruise control, and separate climate control. A change for the sake of a change. 

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#5 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

Update on my Logitech Z120 speakers, both my Hitachi TV's have packed up providing power from the USB connection to the speakers, when you consider the speakers, only just discovered, are rated at 1.2 amps I don't think the TV was capable of sustaining this power, it did well for 11 months though, My intention now is to use a usb charger plug rated @ 2.4 amps, well on top of the job

#6 Gteuk

Gteuk

Technical Genius, In my dreams

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,649 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:40 AM

I would suggest any additional sound improvements are powered by their own source as most TVs have very poor power for good external devices.

Glen

#7 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

Got a pair of 5v charger plugs with usb output off ebay at £6 each, rated at 2.4ma, well on top of the job, they also speed up recharging my kindle fire