• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:34 PM

Fitted a suspended ceiling in sons kitchen last week with plastic faced wipeable plasterboard tiles, installed 8 LED downlights and it looks a million dollars, fantastic spread of light to say each bulb is only 4.5w

#42 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,597 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:40 AM

I have found that the beam angle on LED bulbs is inconsistent. I found some that are 85 degrees but next time I went to get more they don't have them, now they seems to be three/four bulbs in a GU10 fitting with 35 degree spreads which makes them like a spot light. If you find one you like, make sure you have spares as they do pack up. I also go for DAYLIGHT 6500Knot WARM WHITE, 6500K much better in a kitchen.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#43 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

These are wide angle warm white, not too stark, but matching the ones I have installed in his front room, landing and stairs, cutting down on number of spares to be stocked

#44 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,597 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:48 AM

was amazed at how quick Screwfix stopped selling the one I had previously bought (4 months).

Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#45 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

Got these off ebay, thought I would try the ones with a diffuser covering the LEDs, makes no difference to the output just a bit better to glance at, ps they were 5w not 4.5w, 110 degree angle

Pack of 10 MiniSun 5W LED GU10 Light Bulbs Thermal Plastic Warm White Lightbulbs

#46 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

The end is in sight now, moved on to changing the BC cap compact fluorescent bulbs for filament LED bulbs which resemble a normal bulb in shape and size but have a spider web like filament that lights up, they are superb, plenty light output. 10w for the single bedroom centre lights, 8w for the 3 branch centre lights downstairs and 4w for wall & table lamps, even got one in the garden hut too. Ended up with a huggin of the compact fluorescents to get shut of now ranging from 9w to 20w some bought for spare still boxed

Delegated to update some lights at sons house including altering a bedroom light to 2 way switching, doesnt he know I'VE RETIRED

Edited by granpa, 09 October 2017 - 08:47 PM.

#47 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:54 PM

Have you calculated how long it will take you to break even?

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#48 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:33 AM

A long time but it certainly reduces all future leccy bills, Im on dual fuel and the monthly direct debit is in the mid £50, swap suppliers at the end of every deal, next possible swap is due end of nov

#49 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,597 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

one of the best items I have fitted are 5ft LED strip (tube) fluorescent replacements. These are coming down in price but run at only 25W instead of 55W for a normal. They also have the advantage of instant ON not wait while the starter flashes away. My garage has two, office and model railway room 1 each. They were £11 when I bought and fit straight into the existing batten holder, which if plug in starter fitted needs that taking out and same sized fuse unit (supplied fitted instead). If original batten holder has ballast starter then you have to bypass it.

#50 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

I've looked at them but now I'm down to a few in the attic and a 4' double in the cellar, all have limited useage so dismissed the idea of changing, the only other tubes were in the kitchen, now been replaced with 5 flush fitting LED downlights reducing the 80w to 25w

#51 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

Getting bored in retirement, converting all our poundshop solar fence lights [pathetic output ] to a 12v system with timer, photocel and transformer in a weatherproof outdoor box, held up by weather, its bloody cold out there, too cold to consider mending the lads fence that was demolished by the gales last week, time he learned DIY anyway

Edited by granpa, 07 January 2018 - 03:54 PM.

#52 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:12 PM

He'll never learn if you keep doing repairs for him!

#53 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:35 PM

With his lack of interest not sure hes mine

#54 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:02 PM

He's wise, plead that he doesn't know how to do it and you step in.  He's a fast learner, give him credit, but seriously I'm sure that we've all know people who just cannot do certain things. 

I was painting our front railings some years ago.  Our neighbour cam out and said "I might do ours, what do I need?"   "A paint brush and a tin of black paint" was my answer.  He didn't get around to painting them, maybe he wanted me to do them.

#55 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,597 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:57 AM

Yep all through my working life I was astounded by the lack of ability of others. My father use to say things like there goes a clever man he's got a first honours degree in some thing or other BUT he can't put a plug on a wire.

#56 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

It was when I started my engineering apprenticeship at 16 that dad moved from an Ariel sq 4 combination to a car, '56 Ford Pop, that was the beginning of DIY, keeping that damn car on the road, mainly engine repairs and major overhaul, with a bit of bodywork thrown in, good old Davids Isopon. Use the same length of clothes line to remove quite a few Ford engines, Anglias, cortinas etc, for rebuilds over the years, not helped when Castrol introduced GTX oil, the engine wrecker, it was an asset being in engineering and having a load of tools and hammers

#57 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:57 AM

I met the ability of many University educated engineers to do practical work so many times, and even their theory was often suspect.  Can't beat serving a trade and do the job properly. My work was in the repair/rewind of motors, generators and transformers but took in so very much more in the breakdown work. 25 years "on the tools" and 24 years as an Area Sales Engineer.  Still don't know it all!! 

Example, phone call 6pm Friday.  "Ship generator failure off Norway."  Six of us still at work, spun a coin to see who was going. Thankfully not me. Company travel agent still open booked 4 flights (4 aircraft to get there ) via Germany with the last one by helicopter. Then a launch to the ship. Time was important hence the various flights that night.

#58 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:33 PM

Would you believe its dec 2013 when this thread started, in all that time I've only had about 4 LEDs to replace, now the garden has been converted all those pathetic solar cheapies from the pound shop have been wired to take 12v LEDs  and the output is fantastic, bit worried when aircraft fly over at night, gardens a bit too short for a landing.

Daughter got one of those LED strip lights Stim, its very impressive, to look at its identical to a proper fluorescent tube, you cant see the individual LEDs, wow is it bright