• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

Been doing a lot of work in the cellar recently and sad to say LED has not been the total answer for this room, too many reflections & shadows, I have 2 rows of 3 LEDs but the row immediately over the workbench will have to be returned to a fluorescent tube

#22 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,619 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:37 PM

These are the items I purchased
http://www.ebay.co.u...359.m2034.l3391

Most GU10 halogen bulbs are warm white and have a beam angle of only 35 to 50 degrees. The compact fluorescent (CFC) that were in my holders were crap. These new LEDs are SMD (surface mounted devices and contain 60 small LEDs; are DAYLIGHT brightness and have a beam angle of 120 degrees. At 6W power consumption they are about half what the old CFC where.

You need to have 6W plus to get the lumens required. Most that are sold are 3W to 4.5W and give warm white.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#23 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:47 PM

Latest LED project was a replacement PIR security floodlight in the back garden, when it arrived from Ebay it was surprising how much bigger the casing was compared to the standard halogen unit, the more I inspected it the more its size was illogical, I didn't open it up to have a nosey at its innards but the location of the led cluster would never have its light output enhanced by the reflector, it was bordering on being flush / slightly recessed, and so it proved on installation, every bit of light was from the forward throw of the LEDs , zilch from the reflector, still the output is very good for 30w instead of 500w, now I can wind up the duration to its max and still save brass

#24 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

Mid june 2015 pdate, since starting the swap-over to LED's in december 2013, only 1 has had to be replaced, plus I have had to refit one 4ft fluorescent over my workbench as the shadows caste by the LED's were not comfortable to work with. January the old timber conservatory died from rot after 40 years, the plastic replacement has now, with the use of adaptors, also been lit by LED's. 5w instead of 40w per light

#25 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,619 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

have had two of my 6W LEDs fail on me. The first refused to light and was replaced by the supplier. The second one failed in such a way that when it is ON it just barely glows and when the lights are switched off it flashes at full brightness for a Nano second. I have ordered 4 new ones.

I have to say though that even with the one missing the others do a brilliant (excuse pun) job illuminating the kitchen.
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#26 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:18 PM

Time flies, exactly 2 years on and only had 1 LED bulb fail, the rest have lost none of their brightness and continue to give full light on switch-on, unlike some economy bulbs.

Got one of them new fangled dessicant dehumidifiers in the cellar to help with drying the winter washing, must admit it does a mighty fine job, its about the same size & price as the more usual compressor type but a lot lighter to move about and dries the washing a treat with its directional air vents, when not used for washing it just gets the dial turned down slightly to go on stand-by, each half hour it starts up to sample the air and chooses whether to activate or sleep, love it.

#27 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:46 PM

We have a 3 branch pendant light fitting in the back room, for ages it has had the stick-like compact fluorescent bulbs in, rated at 14w each, according to various sits the largest 'normal' looking BC 22 led was a filament type of 6w throwing out the equivalent of 60+ watts, though they are expensive there is a long guarantee on them and a life expectancy of over15 years, bonus of no delay on start-up or fading with age. sadly they were way below expectations so the CFL's have been put back in and the expensive leds now illuminate the bedrooms. In a way its lucky I depend on the CFL's as living room main lighting, I have a large stock of these types of bulbs.

#28 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:54 PM

Regarding the aformentioned 3 branch light fitting,we replaced it in january '16 only on delivery did we discover the bulbs required were SES fitting there and were limits in the wattages available in economy bulbs and as the wife was wanting brighter bulbs, I found some 18w spiral cfl in cool white on fleabay, not cheap, but they were superb once we adapted to the white light, then within 4 months the first one popped, at 6 months 2 more went and I was into reserve stock, somehow by tightly coiling the tubes the lifespan has been disasterously reduced in comparison to the stick type, anyway I have now put standard BC holders in the light unit instead of the SES ones, now I can revert back to the normal stick cfl's again
ps. still only 1 of the LED bulbs has had to be changed so far, all going strong, almost 3 years now

Edited by granpa, 23 October 2016 - 06:08 PM.

#29 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,619 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:40 AM

My latest supplied TLC fluorescent 5ft tubes are great, the instant light no flickering is also liked. Don't regret the purchase at all.

#30 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:22 AM

If the price drops may consider one for the cellar

#31 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:23 PM

Having difficulty seeing in the wine cellar gramps?

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#32 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:27 PM

A laugh last time we were in west Australia the brother in law checked the house for us and rang to say the kitchen light, which we left on for 3 months, was flickering, I told him where a spare tube was.  He told me he clouldn't fit it as he couldn't find a hacksaw!    I'd bought a 6ft tube for a 5ft fitting.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#33 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

Looking at replacing 5 ft fluorescent tubes  for LED tubes [strips ?], any recommendations

#34 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:38 PM

Looking at replacing 5 ft fluorescent tubes  for LED tubes [strips ?], any recommendations

Looks like Stim, a few posts up has done this already :)

#35 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,619 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:14 PM

Look at TLC on google. Put in 5ft strip LED. No probs with mine, 2 in garage 1 in train room.

Look here this is the mounting:

https://www.tlc-dire...tens/index.html

Now click on the tubes below for the actual item.

I bought the DAYLIGHT ones as I needed the brightness

NOTE YOU DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE THE BATTEN IF YOU ALREADY HAVE THEM. On ones with small starter you take that out and replace with a small item that comes with the tube, which is a fuse in a starter capsule. If yoy batten has a ballast unit , then you have to open the batten cover and change some wires about. All covered in the leaflet in the box. So easy even a monkey could do it.

Edited by stimulator, 26 January 2017 - 05:24 PM.

#36 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

Been perusing Amazon some makers have the 5 ft as 20w others are 24w, fancy the 4000 / 4500 white range.

While were on the subject some of our streetlights have been updated to LED, excellent if you are directly under them but are nowhere near as usefull at lighting pavements or the space between posts as the old sodium or mercury units, there about as useful as the solar garden path lights....useless

#37 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,619 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:23 PM

Believe me the 5 foot LED strips are better than the 5 foot fluorescents they replaced. As I said I have daylight same as my kitchen GU10S . The strips do not flicker, come on straight away and do not buzz. Our street lights were changed from discharge units to LEds, the reason was because we the residents pay the electric bills as it's an unadopted road. The discharge type cost £260 per year in electric. The LEDs cost £120/year which saves each of us money. The light given out is OK but then I did the homework before they were changed. So your council bought low output units, not daylight bulbs, cos they were cheaper. But then would you have been happy if they put up the rates to cover the cost?

#38 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:51 AM

Rates are going up 10% services going down, rapidly, take me back to the '60s please, or even the '50s when we had the gas lighting on the streets and the only electric lighting was small bulbs suspended on the support cables of the overhead trolley wires

#39 Triumph Guy

Triumph Guy

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:26 PM

This is an interesting thread because I've replaced all the halogen bulbs in the house (GU 5.3s) with LED units a few years back and they're all still going strong. Not only do you save electric, they also produce less heat which is what finishes off the connectors. I had to replace a few connectors in the kitchen ones because they've melted with the heat.

I've also fitted LED bulbs in the lamps. All the LED lights are warm white which produces a similar light to filament bulbs. The local Lidl is a good source of cheap LED bulbs. Sometimes Asda have some on sale so it is best to grab them while you can. You start saving money as soon as you start using them and provided that they're of decent quality they will pay for themselves in the long run.

Edited by Triumph Guy, 10 February 2017 - 11:27 PM.

2008 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL - gradually eliminating the annoying niggles)

1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - the classic)

1995 BMW E36 318i (M265 PNC - Project Bimmer)

#40 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:44 AM

Only had to replace 1 in 3 years so very pleased, now the entire house has been converted to use LED's, compact fluorescent bulbs and fluorescent tubes, some applications suit different bulbs better for spread of light or just looks, Ebay has been a great help bulk buying lamp holders to convert to common LED fittings to replace edison screw and bayonet.

Stocked up on GU10 from Ebay with an order for a 10 pack of 5w Minisun thermoplastic LEDs which have a frosted face that hides the yellow squares from view and at £18 the prices are continually dropping, I gave up buying off Amazon because of the minimum £20 order ruling but still read [and contribute] the reviews

Only a couple of week ago I had to replace 3 halogens [150w ?] with LEDs [15w ]  and 2 complete spot light fittings in the stairs [120w now 10w] for the lad, he reports back that they are very bright, still getting used to them