• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:33 AM

Are they the best thing since sliced bread ? Everybody is using them and I include Expanding Foams, they are the accepted quick fix solution to traditional materials and are proving to be by far superior ie silicone in place of mastic round windows and doors, grout round baths and showers, expanding foam for gap filling [and fixing] round pipes. As long as the correct sealant is selected they really rate as a great invention in my book although experience has taught me to stick to recognised brands.

How do you rate them and have you ever used them for 'unusual' jobs

Edited by mcdig, 23 November 2013 - 03:49 PM.
Fixed the title for you.

#2 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,619 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

Currently I am a big fan of NO NAILS by Unibond. It does exactly what it does on the tin. Don't be fooled into thinking that the cheaper supermarket ones are  as good 'cos they aren't.

The trick is to buy the product that is for the task and not to try and make do.

17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#3 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:05 AM

Tried some 'non-solvent' based tubes but not impressed, they seem to be very slow to start drying, love the vinegar smell of the proper stuff

#4 cris1117

cris1117

1.6hi 110 (2007) X-Picasso

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

Hi. Agree with stimulator, Unibond is a great product a little more expensive but gets the job done first time. 

#5 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

Once temporarily patched a mini floor using Sikaflex [?] to stick down a steel plate, when I got round to repairing the floor couldn't get the patch off 

#6 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,619 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

There are some excellent products on the market, apart from Unibond NO NAILs. I've been using Polyfiller quick filler. This is solvent based and comes in a tub. Goes on smooth and dries very quickly. Can be sanded if need be.

Also Wickes own brand painters filler in a gun. This is a filler that is applied as usual and the smoothed, (corners, cracks door frame gaps etc.) Once dry it can be sanded but it stays flexible. Cab be painted, emulsion or gloss. Great between uPVC windows and walls.

17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP