• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

This week my project was to replace the rotted threshold timber on the garage as the ravages of many years weather and woodlice had destroyed it, unfortunately the garage is on a site, ie no electrics, fully charging my cordless hammer drill I prepared to drill the concrete base for two plastic plugs starting with a small masonry drill with the intention of opening it up to size once the pilot was done, no chance, managed one hole about 2" deep and drill died, gathering all available extension reels, two of my own and one borrowed, I grovelled at the nearest house to 'borrow' some electric and resorted to the trusty mains drill, job done in a couple of minutes. Ok, my cordless is not heavy duty tradesman grade but I expected more than one bl***y hole. At least it will not be required again on the site, the timber has now been replaced by steel bar, proper job.

#2 Border_Collie

Border_Collie

2.0 Hdi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

A friend of mine had the same trouble as you, so when I bought my cordless hammer drill I made sure it was one which has two batteries. What a difference, the extra money was worth it.

But as you say, they come nowhere near a mains one.

#3 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

Watch out for the rust worm now though Granpa

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#4 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

Watch out for the rust worm now though Granpa

No worries there, thick section steel bar with plenty red oxide paint, it will outlast me

#5 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

A cardboard one would probably outlast me!

#6 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

If that's your picture often wondered what happened to Jimmy Edwards of Whacko fame

#7 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

Certainly is my piccie.  Put it on as when I joined the Pic site most people were doing the same, now not so many put theirs on.

#8 blondchaser

blondchaser

1.6 Hdi (Royal Blue)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Interests:fast trucks and even faster women.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

I had the same problem twice with Homebase 12v drills, and couldn't find out if batteries were duff or charger not working properly. So being a brilliant engineer????? i got a good length of twin core wire and made fixings to fit inside of drill where battery would contact and fastened in place with cord grip from 3 pin plug. The other ends of the wire have aligator clips fitted and go on to spare leisure battery i have for the caravan.

Have yet to make an attachment for fag lighter in car and caravan.

Ok, so it's not perfect in that i have to carry a muckle battery around, but at least i have loads of power that will last for even a big job. Once i get the fag lighter attachment made it will make life a bit easier.

Initially, i deliberately bought 12v just in case of trouble, and it has paid off as compared to other voltages available at the time.

#9 cris1117

cris1117

1.6hi 110 (2007) X-Picasso

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

Hi. I was in the property development game for a while and learnt that cheap tools are a waste of money; you get what you pay for.

I found that most cordless tools are completely useless for anything more than as a screwdriver.

Cordless hammer drills are completely useless unless you pay serious money and even then they are streets behind mains power drills.

Then of course you need decent drill bits always buy expensive bits they will last a lifetime for the average DIY enthusiast and are only a few pounds more.

It is in our nature to try and find a cheaper product but I have learned from bitter experience it doesn’t pay.

As with tools good materials cut the job in half cheap paint will need two or three coats Dulux will usually do it in one.