30 replies to this topic

#1 Adventure Boy

Adventure Boy

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

Ive got a puddle (few drips each time parked) of sort of red sticky goo driping from the drivers side (RHD) at the back

It looks like its coming from a black palstic box close to the axle at first it looked like transmission fluid but its very sticky like the feel of thick Honey

Ive never seen and fluid like this on any vehicle before so am a bit bewildered at this goo

anyone got any ideas

Thanks Rob

#2 Marvin

Marvin

Skoda Yeti SE Greenline II, 1.6TDi, Steel Grey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

My guess would be that you've got a leak in the Eolys fluid tank  (the tank of additive that gets dispensed when the particulate filter regenerates).  I've never seen the fluid myself,  so don't know what colour and consistency it has,  but that is my guess.

You need to get it fixed because if it runs out the filter won't regenrate and will become blocked,  and replacement costs megabucks.

Edited by Marvin, 09 August 2013 - 09:10 AM.

"Life? Don't talk to me about life....."

#3 Adventure Boy

Adventure Boy

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for that Ill get it checked today

#4 mike_C3

mike_C3

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

Spooky that - I opened the site on Sunday to put exactly the same problem in!

I reckon that Marvin is correct. That certainly is the issue with my car.

Having researched the net on 'Eolys fluid' I found out where the tank was (alongside drivers side rear wheel) and how to access it (three white quarter turn fasteners).

The plastic bag that holds the fluid can be easily removed, as it has a cut off valve.

My bag is now sitting on the garage table (still pretty full fortunately) and is leaking from a few small puncture wounds.

No reason for them - suspect that the plastic bag just isn't strong enough.

The local dealer quotes about £113 + VAT for a filled replacement. Not too disasterous.

Not currently in stock, so I will try a bit of 'puncture repair' and see how that works! Messy sticky stuff though, although white spirit seems to do the job!

#5 gittos

gittos

1.6 Blue HDi EAT6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

Aren't modern diesels wonderful.........glad mine is a petrol engine.

• Was - 2002 1.6 Petrol Picasso SX     Then -2009 C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 VTI Petrol   Then- 2015 C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue HDi EAT6 Exclusive   Now..2018 C4 Picasso 1.2 PureTech Feel EAT6

#6 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

Is this a blind holder for the bag, if so then the bag should not have been holed by flying objects and is therefore not fit for purpose. To spend £113 +VAT for a design problem is not on. How old is your car? I would be very tempted to have a go at Citroen over this.

17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#7 mike_C3

mike_C3

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

The 'puncture repair' didn't work, and it started leaking worse!

I have now fitted a new bag, which was £113 including VAT!

The car is 2010, and has done 26000 miles,

Definitely think that the bag is 'not fit for purpose', as it was leaking in two places. No evidence of any damage to the plastic container it is in.

On fitting the new bag, I ensured that it was wrapped in another bag - if those start leaking I might make more of a fuss!

#8 gittos

gittos

1.6 Blue HDi EAT6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

Sorry to to be the bringer of bad news, but If you have replaced the Eolys fluid bag yourself, I think you need someone with a computer with Lexia or a dealer diagnostic to tell the ECU that you have changed the bag or the ECU won't know that it's a full bag and it may not work properly. Hope someone will correctly if I am wrong.

• Was - 2002 1.6 Petrol Picasso SX     Then -2009 C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 VTI Petrol   Then- 2015 C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue HDi EAT6 Exclusive   Now..2018 C4 Picasso 1.2 PureTech Feel EAT6

#9 Adventure Boy

Adventure Boy

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

It is the Eolys bladder thats at fault it seems to have deteriorated as its leaking from about 4 places when squeezed

I put a zip lock bag around it and cable tied it on with 4 ties fitted it back into the holder which once again is not damaged at all, cleaned all the gooie crap off and will keep an eye on it before I spend £113 on a bag of fluid !!!

also the car is a 2010 with 23K miles on it !!!

Not Impressed Mr Citroen

• stroudbiker likes this

#10 Frighty

Frighty

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

I had the same problem with the Eolys bladder, turned in to a right fiasco, you can read my thread on here (photo competition). The thing that annoys me is, what designer thought it would be a great idea to place a bladder full of oil under a car?

C3 Picasso 1.6HDI (90) Exclusive

#11 Adventure Boy

Adventure Boy

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

Ok the saga continues, Found a suitable Zip lock bag and put the Bladder in the bag and cable ties it nice and tight, it still leaks Phoned Citroen and had a long chat with a service dept chappie who informs me that the bag is failing all the time due to deteriation, and that the new one is a differant design and dont deteriorate and leak price of the new bag £ 96.35 +VAT £115.62 !!

Ok Ill BIte it and have one of them mate please, O and of corse youll need it coded into your car another £138.80 incl VAT so now for a crappy design the cost is £254.42, is this a joke ??

Straight on the phone to Citroen UK and started a case 3 days later I had a phone call asking questions about service history etc, next day another call re the same stuff

Yesterday another call saying sorry we cant do anything for you to help with the cost as the car has been serviced by a non Citroen Dealer

The car has had 2 services at citroen main dealers and a further service at the dealers where I bought it the service intervals according to Citroen ase 12500 Miles or 2 years whichever the sooner my car is a 2010 with 23K miles so its over serviced by Citroen and had the bonus of a further service by a VAT registered garage

When speaking to the Service guy I asked if there was anything that was done to this Bloody Bladder on the services he said they will visually inspect the outer case for leaks as they are all too afraid of opening the box for fear of damaging the bladder only on services from 48 K would they open it and check the fluid amount

Trading standards I feel is due a call now what do you guys think ??

• stroudbiker likes this

#12 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

Sounds like slopping shoulders to me.

This eloys bladder would appear to be not fit for purpose as it leaks and has failed in a short space of time. If what your service man has said, "that they are scared to open the box" is true it would appear that it's a known fault.

as for service my 1 year old C3 Pic has just been serviced by the dealer at 12 months with only 4330 miles on the clock. So it like yours will be over serviced. They called me not me them. My understanding like you is that under the law a car can be serviced by a garage not only dealer provided any parts used are original parts.

It's worth a call to your local trading standard's just to have things clarified.

This green policy is costing us all loads of money

• stroudbiker likes this
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#13 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,675 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

Right Stim - the car can be serviced by any garage that is VAT registered but a condition is that it has to have Citroen parts fitted. I'll bet that there is no mention of checking the bag in the service book.

Not fit for purpose comes to mind and a good probability of a successful claim.  Also leaking fluid onto the road a danger to other road users.  It could be a reason for a recall. Contact Vehicle & Operator Services Agency. -    Email: vsb@vosa.gov.uk | Phone: 0300 123 9000  Tell Citroen that if they do not modify free of charge you'll contact VOSA.

• stroudbiker likes this
The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#14 aurora

aurora

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Citroen Relay motor caravan. Citroen Picasso C4 hdi 63reg.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

Some interesting comments on this Forum.  http://www.frenchcar...php?f=3&t=44019

#15 Adventure Boy

Adventure Boy

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

Finally got someone from Citroen UK to say yes or no and guess what !! they said no

2 days later I got an email from Citroen UK customer services asking me to take a survey which I did and low and behold after answering all the questions with a answers of exactly what I thought I get a Phone call agreeing that if I bought the bag and fitted it they would cover the cost of the light Reset !!! this is what I wanted in the first place

Ordered the Bag collected it and spoke to the service dept to book in the car to have the light turned off that would come on when the bag was changed !! and GUESS WHAT

yep you guessed the light does not come on when the bag is fitted it will only require the reset if the light is on before the bag is fitted so all in all I could have saved a load of time and stress if I wasn't told this would need a reset in the first place !!

anyway its all done now and the driveway will hopefully remain red goo free !!

• stroudbiker likes this

#16 bvs

bvs

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation related,Malt Whisky,Music,Cycling

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

Glad you got it sorted !

Just as general info - the dpf can be removed and the ecu massaged to get rid of the light  !

2009 C3 picasso 1.6 hdi vtr+

Previous inc a couple of zx diesels,zantia diesel !

#17 Grumps

Grumps

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

Howdie folks from a noob -

I've just got back from the Vauixhall dealer which sold me my 1.6Hdi C3 Picasso.

They told me the red goo drips were run-off from the aircon. It runs along exhaust and drops through the Eolys bag carrier.

Apparantly it was flushing out a small pool of additive residue remaining in the carrier.

So that's OK then.

Unless anyone knows better?

I'm now digging out service history to see if the bag has ever been changed. At 35,00 miles it would be unusual unless the first bag split.

#18 Grumps

Grumps

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

Oh, and while we're talking -

what's the story about gutting the DPF and remapping CPU?

Is that now an MOT failure? Is it legal? Anyone know a car that has been so treated?

Is this de-engineering an improvement as claimed by those who sell the service?

Ever think - 'Sod it, I'll sell the car and buy a horse?'

#19 Red

Red

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

Hi Grumps

I think your Vauxhall dealer is trying to fob you off. The Eolys bag on the C3 Picasso is known to leak after a few years due to the plastic material the bag is made from deteriorating. Happened on my daughters C3 and there are numerous other posts online about this problem - also the same problem with various Peugeot models. At the time the cost of a replacement bag was £96.35, plus VAT and about half an hours labour to fit.

#20 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

There should be no free eloys in the protective carrier. Can only be due to a bag split. The aircon run off is at the front of the car and should be clear. My c3 Pic is 2 years old and the aircon drips from the front not the rear.