#1 franglais

franglais

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

Hello, a little introduction perhaps.

Im an ex pat, raised a Mancunian, i left the UK 4 years ago, now living in Frace. I've been a lurker since the beginning of the year when my mrs bought a (French) 2003 2.0 Hdi pack, and thanks to previous threads, i have solved a fair few problems without having to post myself, including the climate control fan *constantly on full blast* problem (a real PITA for a LHD) but his time i can't find anything that matches my current problem, so....

I have an air leak somewhere in the brake system, the brake servo wont hold a vacuum for more than a couple of minutes, HRH started complaining last week that when starting the car and pulling straight off, she had no brakes, but that it would sort it's self out. low and behold i confirm her findings, i have emptied the servo and held my foot on the pedal while starting up the engine, and vacuum builds and the pedal sinks, i've left the motor running a minute and then switched off, come back 5 minutes later an the pedal is rock solid. the one way valve seems to be working, i can't blow through it the wrong way, although my lungs aren't all too powerful, and seeing as it's a vacuum, i cant go spraying gas detector fluid and look for bubbles on joints during normal operation. i haven't ruled out a dodgy/failing pump, but im not used to any servo ever having lost vacuum on any of the vehicles i've driven, so i'm looking at that as the main culprit.

your thoughts, opinions, ramblings, and occasional nonsense would be welcomed on the matter, where should i continue my investigation?

thanks,

Allan

2003 Xsara Picasso 2.0HDI 66Kw/90ps Pack.

#2 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,682 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:44 AM

As you have a diesel engine , you also have a vacuum pump, that supplies the vacuum to the servo. (diesels run with the throttle wide open so no depression in a manifold to use as vacuum source).

Check the hose from the pump to the servo, best to check from servo to pump. Failing that your servo diaphragm has a leak in it or your brake master cylinder seals have gone.

Have a look here http://www.citroenpi...846-faqs/page-2 (THEN scroll down to #27) for FAQ section about the hose.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#3 franglais

franglais

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the reply,

there is no engine cover on this car, seems a previous owner had rid of it, no evidence of wear either, so i assume it was some time ago.

i'll be having another fiddle tomorrow, see what i can come up with.

#4 franglais

franglais

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

a very unsuccessful day, i got nowhere with the brake problem, and i was too confident that the part on order would solve the blower on full blast problem, it didn't.

the car's going to the garage tomorrow for the brakes, i'll see what i can come up with for the blower. think i might head to the scrappies and pull a unit out out of a dead car, just to see if that makes any difference. :(

#5 franglais

franglais

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

FIXED

turns out it was the check valve, theory of changing the cheapest piece first, that got changed yesterday, came to the car this morning after it had been sitting all night, and there was still vacuum in the servo. winner.

thanks, Allan.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes, vacuum, diesel, servo