• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Not having a serviceable spare wheel on cars has me very worried, especially when your car has low profile alloys which are easily wrecked in unseen pot holes, plentiful round here, at the moment I am trying to get info on the space saver wheel for the C3 picasso 1.6 hdi, is it possible a normal steel road wheel from the scrapyard would be a cheaper alternative as long as stud centers are the same and tyre circumference match the existing low profile wheel / tyre, plus the ability to fit in the storage area of course.

Any input gratefully received

#2 scrumpymike

scrumpymike

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

I'm just in the process of removing our 17" clover-leaf alloys - not sure whether I'll replace them with 6J x 16" alloys or steel wheels but the tyres will definitely be 195/55s. Anyway, fyi you can get a nice new steel wheel on-line for around £50 and, of course, any number of cheap used ones with part-worn tyre fitted. Our car has the 'get you home' space-saver spare btw.

#3 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

May have the chance to get a 16" blade alloy to replace my spacesaver spare, can anybody confirm if this rim [with tyre of course] will fit in the wheel well, I suppose in their wisdom Citroen has made it big enough to fit a roadwheel in the event of a puncture, just need to be sure as lately Citroen has done some very illogical things

#4 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Had the wheelwell emptied and measured up, looks like a standard size wheel will fit so now hunting another alloy as my spare, then get the spacesaver on ebay eventually

#5 aurora

aurora

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Citroen Relay motor caravan. Citroen Picasso C4 hdi 63reg.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

Just got my 2012 C3 picasso and was surprised to find that it has one of those pathetic kits instead of a space saver. Like many of you, I will need to source a space saver or full size wheel. I will be interested to hear if you manage to find one. Thanks.

#6 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

The single alloy I had my eyes on did not materialise, they are being greedy on price, preferring to sell full sets of wheels instead, however one local scrappy I phoned stated that a normal Citroen 4 stud steel wheel was a suitable alternative, I will delve into this when the weather warms up a bit. I have seen cars on space saver wheels and they look as good as a bicycle wheel with bright yellow stickers on but with a limit on speed and range, with a 'conventional' wheel there are no limits and if it should be a cheaper steel wheel its tyre will also be cheaper.

#7 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Coincidental update on the alloy, looks like my low bid won the wheel so once that's delivered and fitted out with a cheapo tyre I'll think about ebaying my spacesaver

#8 Frighty

Frighty

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

I'll be interested to know if the full size wheel fits, I have 16's on mine and would much prefer a full size spare than the space saver supplied..

C3 Picasso 1.6HDI (90) Exclusive

#9 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

Mine are the 16" 'blade' alloys, tyre size 195 x 55 x 16, according to the measurements of the wheel well it should go in ok, reason for seeking an alloy as first choice was that if it had to be used then there would be no rush to get it back in the boot asap for the sake of appearance of the car, hopefully the polystyrene tool holder will slot in as before

#10 Frighty

Frighty

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

Funny, your post prompted me to have a search of Ebay to see what I could find and I can across this

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a2b107eca

So I guess that answers our question, although I think this is a little rich, I'd rather have a 5th alloy too. I'm going to nip out and actually have a look at the spare in mine now, I'm wondering if the moulded section with the jack etc will also drop right into a full size..

C3 Picasso 1.6HDI (90) Exclusive

#11 Lapin127

Lapin127

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

The eBay seller is J C Halliday, Northern Ireland Citroen dealers - they obviously know that people don't like the lack of Spare or Space Savers. As new car dealers, they just accept that people will pay these prices!

Don't forget that a Steel spare wheel needs the correct bolts (possibly our allow wheel bolts have longer reach and different seating) and most PSA wheels will be 15" or even 14"; 14" might be too close to the front calipers so best avoided and 15" will need around185/65 section tyres to match the 16" rolling diameter.

#12 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

I ended up paying £85 with free delivery for the alloy from a Lancashire salvage yard, add another £40 to £50 for tyre, valve and balance recon I got decent deal in the end, plus with it being alloy no issues with nuts / bolts

#13 aurora

aurora

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

I have just bought an alloy with a legal michelin energy tyre from ebay for £55 plus £10 postage. It is from a C4 Picasso but apparently it will be ok as a standby. The same person is selling another at £50 plus postage.

#14 Tonkatoy

Tonkatoy

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

Just to let you know I've got a 17" clover wheel and a part worn 205/45/17 michelin tyre, both the same spec as came on my wifes new C3 Picasso last week. Wheel was £70 from Hills salvage and the tyre £30 del off ebay. So the wheel weel will take a full size spare. Oh and a wheel jack for £15 del and telescopic wheel brace for £8 del. Beats a pump and a can of gunk any day. I learnt my lesson in a Mazda 6, got stuck in mid wales for 4 hours awaiting recovery as suprisingly a can of glunk wont seal a 2" gash. 

#15 MR.SKI

MR.SKI

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

I am currently considering purchasing a full size 16" alloy wheel, with tyre, as a replacement for the Space Saver wheel supplied. Reading through the thread I am still uncertain wether to purchase a full size spare wheel in the knowledge that it will fit OK in the space provided. Can anybody confirm that a full size 16" alloy wheel will fit in the boot instead of the Sapce Saver Wheel? Thanks.

#16 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

Just returned from holiday, while I was off my 16" alloy was delivered so my next step is to get it rigged out with a cheap tyre, actually quite surprised how heavy the rim is, for some strange reason thought an alloy would be lighter than a steel rim, turns out its much heavier, will report later this week on how it fits the boot

#17 MR.SKI

MR.SKI

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the reply grandpa. Looking forward to hearing how you get on. Cheers.

#18 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

OK folks, got new tyre fitted to the second hand C3 alloy this morning, it fits the well, such a snug fit the central clamp is not required, the dish in the alloy is large enough to hold the jack etc supplied with the car all wrapped in a cloth plus my 'Ring' compressor, after that the wheel well cover sits nice and flat as it should, so to all intents and purposes I'm well pleased that I now have a spare that , should I need it, will be capable of normal use.

Left over to be bunged on Ebay in the near future will be the Space Saver wheel, center clamp nut, moulded housing for jack etc [tools not included] and the polystyrene packing ring that sits on top of the Space Saver

Out of interest; the Space Saver weighs in at 10kg, the alloy [with tyre] is 19kg

Edited by granpa, 15 April 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#19 aurora

aurora

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

A C4 alloy wheel will fit the C3 but the 205 tyre is too wide to slide into the rear of the boot well. Granpa, how much would you require for your space saver please?

#20 MR.SKI

MR.SKI

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for the very useful info Granpa.

I'll be searching for a spare alloy wheel for my Pic now.

Edited by MR.SKI, 15 April 2013 - 10:50 PM.