Photo

Constant Whine, 2.0 Hdi....revs Make No Difference!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sully1263

Sully1263

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Hi all, got a 110k, 2.0 HDi that normally gives no problem at all, extremely efficient apart from the pre-heater fire last winter!...now we have a new problem...start her up, constant engine whine, no change with the revs, obviously drivers side where all the exterior moving bits are!...had the pulley belt changed about 6 months ago, this may have put extra pressure on alternator, water pump, air con etc....but generally the whine is constant...apart from long journeys and it goes quiet after 50-60 + miles?!?!?....any ideas would be useful...thanks

#2 grant2258

grant2258

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

Spray some belt dressing on the belt see if it's the belt or the pulleys sometimes it's glazing on the belts that cause this but it's usually more of a chirp than a whine

#3 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:30 AM

I'm confused as there is no change of sound in line with engine revs ! 

If it's a whine, then that would suggest a smaller cog, but it could be anything ...  Power steering, AC Compressor, alternator, etc.  Can you remove the belt to ensure it's coming from one of those driven parts (or the belt itself - if it's off anyway, try a new belt ??).  You could try using a listening rod, on the body of each component - but obviously take care with the moving parts !  :)

I'd not heard of belt dressing before, so looked it up (Had heard of using fairly liquid though ;) ).  Not sure if these belts are neoprene or not, but this link suggests not to use it on newer belts:  http://www.daycoprod...et-a-noisy-belt   

#4 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:23 AM

In that the OP is over 4 years old- I would guess the problem, for whatever reason, no longer exists!

Like you gray, the 'constant' sound puzzled me. I went for starter motor- solenoid stuck.

I can't think of anything else that would not vary

• gray likes this

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2008)

#5 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:38 AM

In that the OP is over 4 years old- I would guess the problem, for whatever reason, no longer exists!

Like you gray, the 'constant' sound puzzled me. I went for starter motor- solenoid stuck.

I can't think of anything else that would not vary

Never even looked at that  :)