#1 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,597 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

Ok 3 years ago I sold my C3, and we were left with just one car in the household that was in my wife's name and insured by her with me as a named driver.

We are now about to buy a new car and we wanted to put it in my name and insure it in my name.

So I ring up the current company and tell them. Sorry they say most companies will not apply your 45 years NCD if you have not held insurance in your name for more than 2 years, even though I am the main driver named on SWMBO insurance. They will let me insure a C3 Picasso 1.6 for £300 and that's with a 40% discount as NEW customer.

So I dig through my computer files and find my old Swiftsure policy and drop them an email. Now remember I was a customer with them for the last 3 years before I sold my car and cancelled the policy, I have no driving convictions or otherwise in the period since and I am a named main driver. Their reply Sorry but you have to had insurance again within 2 years, go on our site and reuest a quote. Guess what they will not quote me.

SO currently undecided whether to take AA at £300 or register car in wife's name and keep her insurance running.

SO it's not just the young uns, one company Santander (my bank) want £1050/year, do what!!

Beware of companies like Direct Line who will they say honour named drivers NCD on anothers policy, however that has to be a Direct line policy and they will only give about 45% off that.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#2 fastbysuzuki

fastbysuzuki

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

It's standard practice by insurance company's , if you do not take out a policy for two years in your name you lose any no claims you have built up same on motorcycles as well

#3 bvs

bvs

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation related,Malt Whisky,Music,Cycling

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

Yes it is a real pain but it has been like that as far back as I remember !...There never has been any logic to the way that insurance works !!

2009 C3 picasso 1.6 hdi vtr+

Previous inc a couple of zx diesels,zantia diesel !

#4 Swampey

Swampey

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:34 PM

I got my new ride on Friday....Citroen insurance quoted me £700 for a 38 year old with 16 odd years NCD... what a joke.......

Think lowest quote I've seen is £225 with Admiral ... but must ring my current insures as I took advantage of the 7 day free insurance