• PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:music playing keyboard (yamaha tyros 2) driving
    my picasso photography and travelling

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

Hi Guys, I thought my power steering had devoleped a fault as the steering
felt a bit heavy so I checked the tyre pressure and found it to be 30 ish at
the front, called into nearest gas station and pumped them up to 38 yes you
guessed it, hey presto, new car to drive, lesson learned, watch your pressure..

Billy.. :blush:

#2 stimulator

stimulator

20HDi SX Wicked Red, best colour for your money

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7184 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

38 psi is a bit on the high side they should be 34 or 2.2 bar. IUf you run them too hard the centre pf the tread will wear quicker and the road holding will suffer
62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#3 QAB123

QAB123

1.6 Hdi Desire 2005

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:12 AM

Hi Billy,

Dont be too surprised what a difference increasing the tyre pressures actually make, I run my pic at 45 all round, yes 45psi and have been doing so for some time now. I havent noticed any loss in grip on cornering or braking, not even in the rain BUT what I have noticed is an increase in MPG. My MPG has increased quite significantly up to well in the 60's and up to 85 on a country run.

Sadly there are many members on this forum who do not agree with my attitude towards increasing tyre pressures. These people must have more money than sense, couldn't care less about fuel savings with fuel costing £1.39/ltr or just want to critisize what I do. Incidentally, the tyres DO NOT show any extra wear in the middle which proves 45psi is NOT unsafe.

My expensive Citroen agent who does all my servicing leaves the tyre pressures at 45psi. Believe me, they would advise me if they thought I was unsafe.

#4 QAB123

QAB123

1.6 Hdi Desire 2005

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:26 AM

38 psi is a bit on the high side they should be 34 or 2.2 bar. IUf you run them too hard the centre pf the tread will wear quicker and the road holding will suffer

Please don't quote rubbish unless you actually have proof.

Please read your Citroen manual on what they actually recommended especially when carrying extra weight.

I run my tyres at 45psi in all conditions and I have been doing so for many years. NO dangerous lack in braking qualities. NO noticeable lack in grip on cornering even on wet roads and NO extra wear in the centre of the tyre from over inflation even after 25,000 miles. What I do enjoy is the extra MPG.

#5 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

It's not a question of members of this forum simply disagreeing with you they are simply pointing out the manufacturers guidelines. Your Citroen Agent can't be checking your Tyre pressures during servicing because they haven't brought it to your notice, that I find worrying because it's likely they haven't checked them (probably kicked the Tyre wall if that?) because they should follow the correct specifications.

Every Tyre supplier I know specifies 2.2 bar (32psi front & 34psi Rear) I assume that the Tyre pressures are set according to the weight of the vehicle, Tyre size, payload and speed range so the pressure they specify gives maximum all round safety.

However, the label on my X-Picasso shows the fronts to run on a minimum of 2.3 Bar (33.3psi) and when loaded 2.5 Bar on the Front (36.25psi) and 2.6 Bar (37.70psi) on the rear. To me it seems the sensible thing to run at 2.4 or 2.5 Bar all round because I (like most if not all of you) do not adjust my Tyre pressures according to my load.

The only time I really adjust my Tyre pressures is in Snow or Icy conditions and then (and only then I will run them at a lower pressure) Tyres at 45psi in Snow / Ice will kill you..........

Attached Files

2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#6 gittos

gittos

1.6 SX (petrol)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:31 PM

Please don't quote rubbish unless you actually have proof

I don't think Stim is quoting rubbish

Please read your Citroen manual on what they actually recommended especially when carrying extra weight.

Citroen recommend max pressure of 36psi front & 43psi rear, this is with 5 people and a boot full of luggage - the difference in the weight of an unladen and fully laden car is 550kg (1,2200 lbs).
It is a proven fact that over inflation of tyres increases stopping distances on a wet or dry surface and will probably increase the cars tendency to understeer , read any tyre manufacturers recommendations on tyre pressures. There is also a legal requirement that "a tyre is not inflated to make it suitable for the purpose to which the motor vehicle or trailer is being put."
If you are involved in a serious accident the police will automatically check you the condition & pressure of your tyres & I would suggest that over inflating your tyres by 11 psi may be considered a contributory factor in an accident. If this is the case your insurance may not pay out.

I run my tyres at 45psi in all conditions and I have been doing so for many years. NO dangerous lack in braking qualities. NO noticeable lack in grip on cornering even on wet roads and NO extra wear in the centre of the tyre from over inflation even after 25,000 miles. What I do enjoy is the extra MPG.

Have you tried any of these manoeuvres in extreme conditions? How much extra MPG? Please don't quote rubbish unless you actually have proof

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carboundum

#7 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7184 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

QAB123
The figure I gave came from a tyre web site, I DIDN'T JUST PLUCK IT OUT OF THE AIR. Tyre pressures are set by the manufacturer for a reason, over pressure is just as bad as under pressure. The folloowing are also for your reference.

UK Legal requirements on tyre pressure

It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that tyres are in proper condition and penalties for offences are very severe. The penalties for having illegal tyres are currently up to a £2500 fine and 3 penalty points PER TYRE. Two faulty tyres could cost six penalty points, loss of license and a £5000 fine!

Apart from the requirements regarding tyre wear, tread depth, damaged sidewalls, etc, the tyres must be correctly inflated. Regulation 27 section b states “the tyre is not so inflated as to make it fit for the use to which the motor vehicle or trailer is put”. This definition is not very helpful, but correct tyre pressures are vital for safe handling and optimum braking, grip and tyre life.

Low tyre pressures

Cause increased fuel consumption, more air pollution, shorter tyre life and greater risk of tyre failure.

High tyre pressures

Cause reduced comfort, less grip, greater risk of impact tyre damage and reduced stability in braking and cornering.

Published on September 2, 2009

Also see

http://www.kwik-fit....re-pressure.asp

http://www.tyre-pres...49/00 SEPTEMBER

http://www.oponeo.co..._2_0_66kw.htmlx

Edited by stimulator, 16 August 2011 - 01:01 PM.

Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#8 Charliee

Charliee

2.0 Hdi Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:29 PM

Guys, calm down! As the actress said to the bishop, "I like 'em hard"! But.....
There are so many variables; Citroen quote pressures for specific Michelin tyres - my non-Mich front tyres are marked "max load 560kg @51psi" but my non-Mich back tyres of yet another make say "max load 560kg @44psi" so irrespective of load (perhaps someone can add what the "correct" Michelins say?), tyre manufacturers clearly have different specifications; do we follow the car maker who assumes one particular make, or our particular tyre maker? Don't answer this yet, because none of them quote a temperature, although it usually is when "cold" - is that cold as overnight or cold as standing on the drive after lunch (don't even think about sun shining on one side of the car!!) anyway, this is enough to throw in a 5psi variation...... oh, and how many of us go to the garage to check our pressures?? yes, cool night to warmed up tyre in use can throw in a 8 or 10psi variable even in the UK, so if you set them "correctly" having driven to the garage then you are in all probability under inflating them!
I know these markings are for the USA market, but must be consistent with use elsewhere, likewise we may not be loading to 560kg, but the comparison is my point.
Answers? No, sorry! All I can say is that now I tend to run mine on the high side of "Citroen recommended" and find wear is even across the tread, but previously my edges went first.

#9 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7184 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

Max pressure is the max that the carcass will take before blow out. It has nothing to do with the normal running pressure of the tyre.

Cold tyre means cold out off sun shine at ambient temp.

#10 gittos

gittos

1.6 SX (petrol)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:33 PM

If you normally drive your car with say one person in with tyres at 45psi, as it is usual practice to increase tyre pressure with overall vehicle weight what tyre pressure do you use when fully laden with five people and a boot full of luggage?

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carboundum

#11 pilot

pilot

1.6Hdi 2005 Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Interests:Flying and drinking red wine. ( Not at the same time since I spilt a glass)
    Now driving 2013 Peugeot 2008 Allure EGS 1.6Hdi.

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

How many more times must we answer this question. Without a doubt if you increase tyre pressures you decrease the amount of tread in contact with the road and decrease rolling resistance hence lighter steering and higher MPG. If you think that the manufacturers engineers are stupid for recommending the pressures that they do, when the sales people would bite their arms off for a better mpg to advertise you must be mental.I have worked for 30+ years for a motor manufacturer (not Citroen) and can assure anyone reading this post that the greatest care is taken to ascertain the best pressures for the tyres in order to maximise grip and maintain steering and suspension geometry (hence increased pressures for increased loads). Of course there is always somone who knows better,never mind the vast amount of time and money that is spent in determining the optimum settings. Go ahead and increase pressures, but when you have a serious shunt and your tyre pressures are checked by the Police and found to be outside of manufacturers recommendations,I wish you well and hope nobody is hurt.
Posted Image

#12 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:41 PM

So, getting back to the original posters question - 37.7psi is only the maximum end of the range according to Citroen so if you are running at 38psi it's not so bad really, with your vehicle unladen it will be a slightly harder ride but fully loaded would be right. I think we all forget all the bits and pieces we do carry also, junk in the boot, glove compartment, floor storage boxes, door pockets, etc........... I suppose a lot also depends on the size of the occupants, i.e 2 x 18 stone men are equal to 4 smaller people. I think most people will find they are better off by keeping their tyres at 2.5 bar on the back and 2.4 bar on the front.

The other point is Tyre pressures should be checked regularly something I'm sure we'd all fail on...................Posted Image
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#13 esseffb

esseffb

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

I have a 1.8 sx petrol and run my tyres at 34 all round - seems steady enough and i'd rather pay a bit extra in fuel to actually stop when i NEED to.

#14 Bornagainbiker

Bornagainbiker

1.8 Desire (Petrol) 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:Classic Cars, DIY mechanics, home computing

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:46 AM

There is also a legal requirement that "a tyre is not inflated to make it suitable for the purpose to which the motor vehicle or trailer is being put."
If you are involved in a serious accident the police will automatically check you the condition & pressure of your tyres & I would suggest that over inflating your tyres by 11 psi may be considered a contributory factor in an accident. If this is the case your insurance may not pay out.

To me, this is why I find the "more money than sense" comment to be complete nonsense.

If you wrote off your car, someone else's car(s) and killed/injured someone - could you afford that? Both morally, and from the inevitable litigation that would ensue? Insurance companies are expert at wriggling out of things.

I very much doubt that your expensive Citroen agent actually check your tyre pressures.

Edited by Bornagainbiker, 17 August 2011 - 08:46 AM.

Current vehicles: 2004 Citroën Picasso 1.8 Desire (owned since 2008), 2004 Ford Fiesta 1.2 Finesse (owned since 2009)
Previous vehicles (in approx reverse order of ownership): Ford Galaxy (2000 1.9TDi), Rover 200 (1999 1.1), Toyota Carina E (1993 1.6), Toyota Previa (1992 2.4), Peugeot 309 (1990 1.3), Renault 5 (1990 1.1), Austin Montego (1986 1.6), Fiat Tempra (1992 1.8), Renault 5 (1989 1.2), Lada Riva (1986 1.5), Vauxhall Cavalier SRi (1983 1.8), Lada 1200 Estate (1984 1.2) - what a lot of cars!
Also owned the following bikes (reverse order): Yamaha Radian YX600 (1986), Honda CD175 (c.1970s), Yamaha YB100 (c.1980s), Honda C50 (c. 1980s)

Should probably change my forum name as I sold the Radian a while ago! Currently get my thrills co-driving a friend's 914.

#15 blondchaser

blondchaser

1.6 Hdi (Royal Blue)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1062 posts
  • Interests:fast trucks and even faster women.

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:54 PM

Very interesting comments, especially about shitroen stealers checking (or not) tyre pressures during service. Following my last shitroen service i was handed a work sheet where it stated the tyre tread depth. Very good in that it even stated the tread depth for the spare--??? almost unbelievable since my spare is encased in a thick polythene cover which is well sealed with strong tape. These shitroen TECHNICIANS are absolutely marvellous!!!!!.
Almost as good as the brake fluid change that they failed to do ---until i kicked up a real stink.

#16 Barryn

Barryn

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:11 PM

Hi everyone - New to the forum. Have visited it many times before joining. Superb facility

Have just replaced the front tyres on my 2006 1.6 hdi Picasso after 27,222 miles. Tyres still had 2.8mm at most worn parts but sidewalls starting to crack with age - Vehicle kept outside.

#17 Bornagainbiker

Bornagainbiker

1.8 Desire (Petrol) 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:Classic Cars, DIY mechanics, home computing

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:40 AM

That's a good point to raise as well. Low mileage + age can be an issue with tyres. I don't tow a caravan at the moment, but that topic regularly crops up in magazines and the like.

Current vehicles: 2004 Citroën Picasso 1.8 Desire (owned since 2008), 2004 Ford Fiesta 1.2 Finesse (owned since 2009)
Previous vehicles (in approx reverse order of ownership): Ford Galaxy (2000 1.9TDi), Rover 200 (1999 1.1), Toyota Carina E (1993 1.6), Toyota Previa (1992 2.4), Peugeot 309 (1990 1.3), Renault 5 (1990 1.1), Austin Montego (1986 1.6), Fiat Tempra (1992 1.8), Renault 5 (1989 1.2), Lada Riva (1986 1.5), Vauxhall Cavalier SRi (1983 1.8), Lada 1200 Estate (1984 1.2) - what a lot of cars!
Also owned the following bikes (reverse order): Yamaha Radian YX600 (1986), Honda CD175 (c.1970s), Yamaha YB100 (c.1980s), Honda C50 (c. 1980s)

Should probably change my forum name as I sold the Radian a while ago! Currently get my thrills co-driving a friend's 914.

#18 mcdig

mcdig

Med Blue HDI owners club

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3782 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

Hi everyone - New to the forum. Have visited it many times before joining. Superb facility

Have just replaced the front tyres on my 2006 1.6 hdi Picasso after 27,222 miles. Tyres still had 2.8mm at most worn parts but sidewalls starting to crack with age - Vehicle kept outside.

Were they Michelins by any chance? Had to change the 2 rear tyres on my old Pic due to side wall cracking but still had lots of tread left.

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

#19 Barryn

Barryn

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

Yes - Michelin Energy Savers supplied as standard when new. Always run at 36psi.

#20 kerrywez

kerrywez

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:44 PM

Very interesting read, I am now to the forum and new to a Pic, I take delivery next Wen, but I would have never looked at the recommendations and had 32 PSI in them all round. When I took the car for a drive yesterday I found that the steering was indeed a bit heavy and do recall that the tiers looked a bit under-inflated, which would account for it. I shall be putting around 37 PSI in mine as I usually carry a lot of stuff in the motor, fishing gear and the likes. Thanks to this tread and all the posters, I now can have a better steering motor.

Regards Wez

Edited by JoeBlunt, 26 August 2011 - 12:52 PM.
Quote Removed