• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,615 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:35 AM

BE AWARE.
Warning! You now NEED car insurance even when not driving

You'll be fined if cover lapses

You've always needed cover to drive, but the new Continuous Insurance Enforcement regime means from 20 June, if you've an uninsured car, van, motorbike or motor home, you're breaking the law whether you drive it or not.

You can be fined or have your car destroyed. Even if you let cover lapse during holidays or hospital stays you'll be breaking the law.

There's a £100 fine followed by clamping, seizure or it being DESTROYED, though warning letters come first.

Avoid it with a Sorn. Those with a valid Statutory Off-Road Notice who keep their motor off-road (garage or driveway - not roadside or grass verges) don't need cover

Edited by stimulator, 25 May 2011 - 07:36 AM.

17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#2 blondchaser

blondchaser

1.6 Hdi (Royal Blue)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • Interests:fast trucks and even faster women.

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

Mor Frigging red tape---what will they think of next????? :torch:

#3 PembsPanther

PembsPanther

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Technology
    Food :)

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

Hello

Yes this is correct I got a little leaflet this morning from DVLA along with my TAX reminder!!!!!!!!! Do you know my 1.8 petrol Picasso costs MORE to tax than my old 2.5 Volvo 850 that I have just got rid of!

Anyway yes keep it insured or SORN'd on private land or loose it, I kind of agree with the new rules if I am being honest, if it is on the road it should be insured if it is not on the road it should be SORN'd straight forward enough really.

I thought the requirement to SORN it if it was not taxed would have taken care of this though, if it is taxed then it has to be insured to tax it, if its not taxed then they know already and if it is not SORN'd then they should be issuing fixed penalties already mmmmmmmmm strange but hey there are plenty of other strange things coming out of Number 10 at the moment!!!!

#4 M2RTY

M2RTY

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

i sell cars on for family members, makes it harder now as i used to be able to keep them in my garage whilst on ebay/auto trader etc - taxed but not insured (as insurance had been swapped to their new cars)

now I need to SORN them, which makes them harder to sell with no TAX, I cant insure them just for 1 day (for test drives, etc as they are not taxed) AND you don't get the cash back from the tax IF the car is re-taxed within 21 days

load of rubbish

it wont stop ANYONE who drives with no tax/insurance/licence who has been driving like this before the change

just another way for the government to issue fines to the poor motorists

#5 jet

jet

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

more expense

#6 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

So here we are with a new law designed to keep uninsured and untaxed cars off the road, BUT a pain if you are changing your car and NOT trading in at the same time.

Tomorrow we pick up our Picasso C4, but haven't yet sold the C3. We are insured with the AA this year (cheapest we could find) so I rang them. A very nice lady called Jan dealt with me.
I explained that I wanted to change the car insure from the C3 to a C4 Picasso. No problem there an additional premium of £40 required and then the bit about continuous cover for a car while trying to sell it on. No problem we give you 2 weeks for free and then 2 weeks paid for at £20. After that it will need a poilcy of its own. So all sorted for now, if C3 is sold in 2 weeks they will repay the £20.
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#7 medwaypic

medwaypic

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

Very useful bit posted there ......how much was....the cheapest this year?

#8 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

Original C3 1.6HDi 2007 £4500 policy was £185 which included protected NCB, legal and free rescue. That was in November. Now the C4 VTR+ 1.6HDi 2008 £9000 policy for the remainder of the year (9 mths) is £25 more. £25 was admin charge and £20 the 2 weeks for second car.
I don't stay with the same company anymore and this wa sthe cheapest for us. Car ius registered in wife's name with me a named and main driver.

Edited by stimulator, 17 February 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#9 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

While using comparison sites out of curiosity I did a bit of mucking about adding older / younger / male / female drivers as both keepers or second drivers, as Martins Money Tips suggested it could bring premiums down..... it didn't, in every single case it raised the amount, likewise increasing the excess didn't save any significant amount to justify it, we are well and truely being shafted, its not only the Banks [and Oil companies] guilty of extortion and our only recourse is to pay up or pack up.

Edited by granpa, 18 March 2012 - 07:34 PM.