• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 iamian

iamian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:24 PM

Last year my insurer provided "free" roadside and onward travel breakdown cover.
When the insurance came up for renewal the fee was now £106 pa.
AA and RAC advertise similar cover for ~ £65 but there are others offering the same for as little as £19.50 on a 3.5 year-old car.

Does anyone know if any of these low-cost options are any good?

Edited by iamian, 31 December 2010 - 01:24 PM.

I'd rather be boating

#2 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

I'd guess that it's just a case of checking which benefits you get with each subscription. Some will not cover call-outs to your home, others will not take you to your destination or home in the event of a breakdown, some will provide a car to complete your journey. When I was with one company they only took you to a garage/dealer withing 6 miles of the breakdown. When I needed them I had to pay another £12 to the driver to go to a Citroen dealer a few miles further away. Most compamies offer differing levels of cover at different prices.
The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#3 Wireless

Wireless

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Rugby Union, Aircooled Volkswagens, 4x4, Amateur Radio, & Shooting.

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:22 AM

I found that GEM Recovery were the most competitive in this respect, in the past becoming a member of GEM was a requirement, before being able to purchase member benefits like breakdown cover, and this wasn't as easy a thing to do as it is today. I've been a Member since 1987, and I did get a discounted holiday boating on the Caledonian Canal a number of years back, through GEM.

GEM was once the Guild of Experienced Motorists, but that title is now not used, but the breakdown claim back policy is a good one if you can afford to bankroll the breakdown yourself. I've done this in the past, they do not normally quibble such breakdowns when entertaining a claim, and in fact they still send the same recovery agent to your car that they would send if you buy the full breakdown service.

The above probably confuses most readers, but you really have to visit their website and check out the different Breakdown policies.

We still have Joint GEM Recovery Membership, mainly for the wife's car as she uses it for business, but she may end up Leasing this year, and at that point I may drop our cover to just my Membership, initially while driving the VW, but when I have that away sold, for covering the 109.

Other than being Members, we have no other connection with GEM Recovery.

73 de M5WJF

2010 Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 1.6 EGS Exclusive
2011 Citroen C3 1.6 Airdream+

1973 Volkswagen Type 3 Variant 1600A

#4 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,597 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

Got mine with Green insurance company, not because they were Green but because they were the cheapest.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#5 5254

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

Hi I found Green Flag very good when needed. They came when they said and dealt with the problem. I have found out that thay are connected with Direct Line Insurance. I got a cheeper quote from D Line for the same level of cover. But in the end you get what you pay for.

#6 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

I tried Green Flag when I got the Picasso. Engine fault light came on. Stopped and phoned them. One and a half hours to get to us even though I gave the exact location in a town. Driver couldn't find us and was searching 5 miles away. Simply started to load us onto trailer. I asked him if he was going to look at the problem. "No point" he said. He never even lifted the bonnet.

Obviously they vary from place to place.
The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#7 mcdig

mcdig

Med Blue HDI owners club

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:25 PM

Had to RAC recently when the dog van expired, they were very quick, phoned me with updates on arrival time, got the big transporter out to get us home. All went well except the transporter taking us home broke down so had to get 2 more RAC trucks out to fix theirs and take us the rest of the way home. Shit happens :rolleyes:

Whatever cover you choose I always go through the quidco cashback site as there is currently up to £100 cashback available. Makes the RAC, AA etc cheap that way.

www.quidco.com

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

#8 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,597 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:19 AM

I said GREEN insurance company (www.greeninsurancecompany.co.uk) not GREEN FLAG; different companies.

Edited by stimulator, 04 January 2011 - 10:21 AM.

17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#9 mcw1965

mcw1965

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

dont forget to go via quidco or top cash back for even bigger savings

#10 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

I'm with Start Rescue, package 2 which includes home start, never needed them but they were cheap

#11 josh263uk

josh263uk

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

I used to be with the RAC and they took hours to come and recover me when I was stuck on the the side of a Belgium motorway. I have EU cover too. RAC renewal was mega £££. So I went with Britannia Rescue, a lot cheaper, I haven't have to use them yet, so cant comment on the service.

Josh

#12 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:30 PM

Coming to the end of a year with Green Insurance Breakdown Cover, renewal too expensive at £58 so returning to Start Rescue [£30 after cash back], got me thinking about how many times I've needed a breakdown service in the last 45 years, when the big two saluted you, answer, twice, both back in the late '60s early '70s, first was for an NSU 1000 that refused to turn over while on holiday & then a Cortina that broke its cam belt while i was towing a caravan, luckily i was homeward bound so a wrecked engine was not a problem, apart from that i think it would be a bit of a gamble not to have this back up service, just in case.