20 replies to this topic

#1 Sign of the times

Sign of the times

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

I know that the battery is under the passenger seat(never seen it though)on my 2000 Picasso 1.6 and to remove it I have to tilt the passenger seat (apparantly) but pushing and pulling the levers does not seem to make any diffence, the seat is solid as a rock. I only want to check the battery connections.... can anybody offer any practical advice?

#2 QAB123

QAB123

1.6 Hdi Desire 2005

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:54 PM

The battery is easy to access, off the top of my head without digging through the snow to open the car the front passenger seat is on two rails, move it forwards and at the end of the rails are 2 levers at either side, they move very easily which unlocks the seat to enable it to tilt towards the windscreen. The battery is covered by a black plastic box which lifts off. The connections are only held on by lever type connectors which slacken by the levers, you will see. Tip, disconnecting the battery can upset auto door locking, radio (if coded) I didn't notice anything else on my 1.6Hdi. I hope this helps for starters.

Edited by JoeBlunt, 28 November 2010 - 02:09 PM.
Quote Removed - No need to Quote the Previous Post if you are replying immediately afterwards.

#3 whatsinaname

whatsinaname

2.0 Hdi Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4646 posts
  • Interests:fishing, motorbikes, garden, my dog

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:25 PM

You will find the seat hard to lift because you have lift both catches at same time, i pushed seat over with my shoulder,or get some to help

it wont upset the radio code, you will have reset the time and date ,auto door locking is very simple to do ,but it did not alter on mine

Edited by whatsinaname, 27 November 2010 - 10:28 PM.

#4 Charliee

Charliee

2.0 Hdi Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:09 AM

Take the headrest off first, or it stops seat tilting far enough. The seat seems to only release and tilt in certain position, so try changing that - also the release clips at the back need quite a bit of pressure to "click" and release, they must both be moved and held as you push the seat up with your third hand!! Shoulder works if you're agile.....

#5 martyn404

martyn404

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Caravanning, camping, days out, real ale.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:21 AM

I know that the battery is under the passenger seat(never seen it though)on my 2000 Picasso 1.6 and to remove it I have to tilt the passenger seat (apparantly) but pushing and pulling the levers does not seem to make any diffence, the seat is solid as a rock. I only want to check the battery connections.... can anybody offer any practical advice?

There are two levers at the rear of the seat ( they have to be pressed downwards) and they need to be pressed simultaneously and a click should be heard where the seat stubs are released.
I know this because this morning I have had to put my battery on charge!
Posted Image

Happy days..

#6 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6230 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

I believe that you could have charged the battery under the bonnet by using the large + terminal and any suitable earth point without going to the battery compartment.
The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#7 stevenm

stevenm

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

Hello i am newto the forum and am in need of some help. I cannot for the life of me find thesetwo catches needed to lift the passenger chair forward, has anybody got any pics they could post? also have thought about jump starting the car but cannot find the plastic cover with the plus sign, think it may have fallen off. I have two metal bolts right next to a thick pipe, right hand side of engine, are any of these the ones you need to jump start.
Hope that makes kind of sense.
Thanks
steven :wacko:

#8 People's Front of Judia

People's Front of Judia

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:57 PM

Steven, could be wrong but think it depends on year of manufacture. There are no levers on my passenger seat instead there's 3 torx bolts to remove 1 on the left and two on right, remove these bolts then the seat lifts/pivots out of the way (remember to remove headrest first). There's a torx bar fixed to the underside of the rear passenger side storage compartment for this purpose.

#9 stevenm

stevenm

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:01 PM

Thanks for the reply, you are right and there are 3 bolts, turns out manual was wrong. What a waste of a day, looking for a lever that was never there. :bhead:
Oh well

#10 blondchaser

blondchaser

1.6 Hdi (Royal Blue)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts
  • Interests:fast trucks and even faster women.

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

My second XPic had these torx bolt things, but i found them a hassle so replaced them with ordinary bolts which are easily and quickly removed by an ordinary socket.

#11 seagull

seagull

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:36 AM

Another point to watch when removing these three bolts is that, at least on my vehicle, the two on the right screw into nuts welded to the frame. The one on the left has a removable nut underneath. The only way to remove that bolt is by using a spanner underneath the frame while holding the bolt with the 'special' removal tool.

Edited by seagull, 19 July 2011 - 08:36 AM.

#12 seagull

seagull

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

I replaced the battery on my 2005 Xsara Picasso Desire 1587cc with a Varta Blue D59. After the frustrating removal of the three seat bolts the process was straight forward. Removed the negative quick release clamp and then the positive. Removed the small push-in overspill tube. Removed two nuts on the battery clamp. Replaced battery, reconnected positive first then negative. Vehicle started first time. No subsequent problems with the on-board computer or radio. Needed to reset clock and date.

#13 esseffb

esseffb

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

You will find the seat hard to lift because you have lift both catches at same time

I'm okay up to this point but then it's like hitting a brick wall - tempted to really force it and cannot find a location when it will tilt fully forwards. I'm sure this should be really simple and cannot understand what i'm doing wrong - any tips?

#14 esseffb

esseffb

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

btw - how many posts do you need until you can start a topic - a real pain in the *** rule if you ask me.

#15 rawthey

rawthey

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

I'm okay up to this point but then it's like hitting a brick wall - tempted to really force it and cannot find a location when it will tilt fully forwards. I'm sure this should be really simple and cannot understand what i'm doing wrong - any tips?

Providing the catches have been released (on early models) or the 3 bolts removed (on later models) it should swing forwards quite easily. Did you slide the seat fully backwards (and remove the headrest) before trying to tilt it?
On the later models bear in mind it's the bolts holding the seat to the runner that have to be undone - not the ones holding the back of the rails to the floor.
Mike
Xsara Picasso (58) 1.6i 16V Desire, Iron Grey

#16 esseffb

esseffb

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

i've finally sorted it - mental note, seat fully back and headrest off = simple success. :)

#17 PembsPanther

PembsPanther

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Technology
    Food :)

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

Interesting that Citroen saw fit to replace the easy to use catches with bolts on the later models, does anyone know why? My concern is that these were changed due to a safety issue, maybe upon impact the catches were not strong enough to hold the seat in place, does anyone know for sure? I have these catches and have often thought about how they would perform during an impact, if Citroen did replace them due to safety then I for one would look at retro fitting bolts on mine, just to be sure..................

Anyone??

#18 rawthey

rawthey

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

Interesting that Citroen saw fit to replace the easy to use catches with bolts on the later models, does anyone know why? My concern is that these were changed due to a safety issue, maybe upon impact the catches were not strong enough to hold the seat in place, does anyone know for sure? I have these catches and have often thought about how they would perform during an impact, if Citroen did replace them due to safety then I for one would look at retro fitting bolts on mine, just to be sure..................

I think it's very unlikely to have been for safety reasons. From what I remember the catches are very similar to those still used on the 3 rear seats and they didn't get rid of them. My guess is that it was purely a cost cutting exercise.

I'm not sure but I suspect retro fitting bolts would be far from trivial, possibly involving replacing the entire seat and rails..
Mike
Xsara Picasso (58) 1.6i 16V Desire, Iron Grey

#19 cris1117

cris1117

1.6hi 110 (2007) X-Picasso

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

I think the older style catches used to rattle sometimes.

#20 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7776 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

You have to think like a bean counter.

Two seat catches at 2 Euros each = 4 Euros/car
Two bolts at 0.25 euros each =0.5 euros/car.

1,000,000 cars produced = 500,000 euros saved or profit.

Think like an engineer

Do I use the catches very often NO. Replace with bolts Yes. Saved 500,000 euros.

Think like MOST car owners.

Must check battery, can't find it, am I bothered. NO. ( now go back to think like a bean counter)
62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS