Photo

Car Insurance 2010

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:18 PM

Mine is due 18th Jan. Quotes so far.

Car Insurance 2011

Current 1 C.S.M.A - LV £239.75 Last Year £236.08
2 Nationwide £294.90
3 Hastings Direct £339.00
4 AXA £343.39
5 Tesco £370.23
6 SAGA 1 £409.49
7 AA £427.00
8 Churchill £435.66
9 CSIS £472.53
10 SAGA 2 £472.70
11 esure £535.38
12 AGE U.K £557.17
13 R.A.I.S £577.07
14 Morethan £634.20
15 Castle Cover £747.28
16 Co-operative £822.12

Guess who I'm staying with!
The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#22 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,597 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:53 AM

can I phone a friend? :blush:

seriously, how do they justify the big differences?
I know from surfing the web for insurance that many of the companies are in fact the same group. many come under Groupama (Spanish what else) so if oone can do it for £200 why can't Coop at £882.
Strange times we live in

Edited by stimulator, 29 December 2010 - 08:56 AM.

17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#23 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:52 AM

From 24 years as a Sales Engineer I know how some companies work. It's get what you can where you can get it. For a specific electric motor repair I was told "We want £1,000 but we'll take it even at £580 if that is the best price that you can get as it mean that the opposition loses the job and it keeps our production hours higher. See what you can do." No doubt we still made a profit at £580 although not the profit that we aimed for. It's dog eat dog in the real world out there.

#24 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,597 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

I see the point and the last company I worked for had a policy that it would undercut the opposition just to get the job.

we ran one of our flight simulators at a loss of $100/hour just to get customers thru the door away from the opposition across the street.

Now that poilcy seems to have backfired on both of the companies, one sold all but 20% of its holding and the other had to reduce its operation from 4 centres to one in the space of a year.

Problem is that a loss of $100/hour on a 20hr day works out at a $2000/day loss which becomes unsustainable as the other equipment cannot be overcharged to make up the difference. The overheads of the power required to run and the staffing levels to run the department increase. Problem is that the bean counters run the companies not the operators who know the true costs.

I brokered a deal with a company to supply high quality projector bulbs (LCD on quartz) that had to be changed every 2000 hrs at a 20% discount, originally that was 18% but by ordering 6 months supply in one go I got the extra discount. However when the bill was presented to accounts they sat on it for two months. The supplier pulled the plug and I had to look else where. Result, ended up paying 5% over the original pre discount price. Bean counter then told me to look else where, told him to call the original company and the manufacturer of the equiptment and see what he could get. He couldn't bettre my original and ended up paying thru the nose. QED
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#25 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:47 PM

Maybe they should be called clowns not bean counters. Although retired for 10 years now they were increasingly outruling Engineers when it came to puchasing and at times the result were a disaster. Who had the best office, the Accountant or the Engineer who kept the factory in production, don't ask.

#26 Guest_hypnoman_*

Guest_hypnoman_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

I have 6 years N.C.D. Swift insurance £158 included my wife on same policy fully comp.

#27 EBT_Dad

EBT_Dad

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

My Ins is due in Feb and the renewal from the my present insurer was £525 with no explanation of why it had increased by over £250? I eventualy got the same level of cover as last year for £240 inc legal cover and protected no claims etc. It REALY does pay to shop around on Go compare etc! :0)

#28 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,597 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:24 AM

The reason is cheap to get you and then they hike the price the second year, thinking you won't bother to shoip around. believe me for everyone of us who do shop and move 100s don't.

my neighbour for instance is still with Britsh gas and Southern Electric and paying through the nose. Reason, because she has always been with them. That attitude is how they operate and keep the suckers.

#29 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

Are C.S.M.A L-V the acception to the rule? My insurance for the Pic with them only went up £3 this year and about £7 last year. I've just paid £239.

I got 17 quotes from £239 to £822 with the Co-op. Saga were 6th dearest at £409 and AGE UK 11th at £557. So much for helping the older generation! All quotes were using the same details. No accidents or claims for more than 40 years.

#30 Guest_pinguish_*

Guest_pinguish_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:39 PM

it sometimes does pay to use a broker.
I spent hours calling various companys last year and got a range of quotes but the cheapest came from swinton (LV policy),
This year when the renewal came my premium arrived and was £70 more - for a car thats a year older and i now have another years NCD.
i moaned and they searched again...with the 'cashback' they offered me of £50 final quote came in just £10 more than last year at £360
coincidently it was mentioned earlier in the thread that you put your wife on the policy this can massively reduce premiums.
my wife is a named driver on my policy and she is mine it reduces our premiums by over £150!

#31 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,597 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:36 AM

Wife on car insurance is a good premium reducer. Now get this. My hephew is getting divorced, so he called the insurance company to take her off his policy. Advised it would be better to keep her as a named driver or your premium will increase. So the old adage of ball and chain is true you can't ditch the bitch even if divorced or it will cost you.

#32 clevs

clevs

16 Hdi VTr+ EGS (2008)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:03 AM

Hi`
just insured my c4 pic with` ADRIAN FLUX` lot cheaper than anyone. not sure if the premiums change from county to county to be honest. paying £301 for my wife and me , 45 year old and 10+ yrs ncb protected. GREEN FLAG recovery plus £67

#33 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

Just had the renewal through for the 11 year old Yaris... self as main driver, wife and 19 y.o. daughter as named drivers - £1260.64, up 33% from £945 last year!

Cheapest on-line quote was Admiral at £753.05 but they don't seem to get very good customer reviews. This could be part of the 'only going on-line to complain' culture.

Most expensive quote was over £8000! I didn't even note their name!Posted Image

However, on-line quote from LV is, sit down for this, £663.47, even less than last year. Unless it goes up by silly amounts next year, it's still a bargain.
Growing old is compulsory; growing up isn't!
If you're not part of the solution...
...you're part of the precipitate!