10 replies to this topic

#1 pixan

pixan

1.6Hdi (57) Desire 2 Grey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

Members should be aware that this company operates an "ageist" policy with regards to car insurance. They say it's their underwriters who are responsible for making policy decisions, and have set a cut-off age for car insurance at 70.

In view of the general acceptance that we are all living longer, and that ageism is been or will be illegal very soon, I think this company is shooting itself in the foot.

They don't appear to be very competitive anyway, despite their claims to the contrary, and ignore the fact that every motorist is a potential customer for home and other insurance services, often getting all their insurance requirements with the same insurers.

#2 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

Same with travel insurance. It gets harder every year after you are 70 to get a reasonable price and I wonder if us old coggers are any more risk to them than a 25 year old when on holiday. We don't get drunk and fall off balconies etc.
The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#3 pixan

pixan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:01 PM

Know what you mean Lancelot.

But, the younger generation are without doubt the reasons why we are all paying the price for their irresponsible attitudes to motoring and exuberance of youth!

I'll bet that's hit the fan! Better go and get my helmet on.

#4 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

It's really six of one & half a dozen of the other, yes there are the 'boy racer' types in the younger generation but I have seen some pretty bad driving from the elderly. Many a time I've come across an elderly driver doing 45mph on the motorway or driving at 55mph in the middle lane when the nearside lane is free.
All insurance is a balance of risk as you know, so the risk of a 70yr+ person is a higher risk of 'falling off the perch' whilst on their holiday than an 18yr old.
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#5 pixan

pixan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

Six of one, and half-a-dozen of the other? Don't think so Joe.

In all my motoring miles on A roads, B roads, and the motorway (average around 45 thou/year, and yes, I'm usually very glad to get home!), I've seen more "boy racers" doing the wrong things on the roads than doddering old doddys doing 45 or 55 in the middle lane.

The insanity of having a drag on a fag, while holding a conversation on a phone stuck to one year while driving, and trying to impress a blond/brunette dolly in the passenger seat is the domain of the young.

However, there are a huge number of cars on the roads without insurance, tax and in unroadworthy condition that are usually driven by the financially challenged, and they tend to be the younger generation and "boy racers", not the silver tops, who can usually afford to be on the roads legally.

Neither have I ever witnessed a convoy of "dodderers" racing each other in convoy on A roads without a care for any other road users.

The silver haired "dodderers" are not the reason for the horrendous increase in motor insurance premiums. Youth, inexperience, and the irresponsible are.

#6 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

I'm not saying there's not an element of bad drivers in the young just you shouldn't really tar them all with the same brush. I do 2000 to 2500 miles per week (without my personal mileage back & forth to work and weekends) 90% of this is on 'A' roads and motorways, strangely 80/20% if I come across a bad driver it's usually an elderly person who seem to be 'out of their depth' on the type of road we're on. I guess the examples you quote possibly relate to town driving especially on the estates etc.
I regularly see elderly drivers with absolutely no idea which lane they should be on at Roundabouts & Motorways, pulling out in front of my vehicle not being able to judge my speed causing me to brake. Sometimes driving at 45mph on a 70mph road is more dangerous to other road users than speeders.
There's actually more uninsured drivers in London in the 30-50 bracket than all the under 25's in the whole of the UK I reckon.
There is good and bad in all........................ :rolleyes:
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#7 Ross 744

Ross 744

1.6 Hdi (110) Excl (Storm Grey)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Aviation (Future Pilot), Picasso's (Ofcourse :P), Photography, Travelling, My Dog (Max-Border Collie)

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:06 PM

I cant comment on travel insurance as that is included with my bank account (Natwest Advantage Gold)... but im paying the price for being a young driver!

I cannot understand how people over the 25 age boundary can moan about how their insurance is £130 rather than say £128 like they were hoping... when there are people like myself, 19, paying £1200 for a fully comprehensive policy in my own name! Now I wouldnt rate myself as being the best driver in the world due to inexperience, but in over 2 years driving I didnt have a single bump, scrape, ding or dent at all until I thought I would be fine driving in unfamiliar weather circumstances and ended up in a tree! (snow and ice back in Jan) Yes, my accident may have bumped everyones insurance up by 0.00001p but I have learnt from my mistakes and that makes things better in my opinion. I know now not to go out driving in the snow and ice at 22:30 when its pitch black and visibility is poor. However, I have seen my fair share of terrible driving by people in my age group and know of people that are the same age as me with 3,4 even 5 write-offs already! Then again I have also seen elderly people who simply shouldnt be on the road and are going to cause an accident before long.... pulling out when they think its ok and its not, using wrong lanes on roundabouts, going slower in the fast lane on dual carriageway/motorway than cars in the slow lane (like Joe has said) and just a few days ago I had seen an elderly lady park in Morrisons and smash into the side of another car, come out of that space and drive off! We are all in the same boat...no-one is perfect! I would say, apart from my bad experience in the snow, that I am a much 'safer' driver than most elderly people on the road as im up-to-date with all of the highway code, know the Picasso like the back of my hand and can judge nearly every aspect of 'normal' driving conditions in advance. This is the reason why my next door neighbours father (who is in his mid-late 70s) has been taken off of the road... he is no longer safe!

Rant over lol Need a pint after that! Posted Image

Ross

Edited by Ross 744, 05 August 2010 - 04:08 PM.

PRESENT
NEW: '53 Volkswagen Bora 1.9TDi 150 Sport in Bora Bora Red

PAST
NEW: '54 1.6HDi 110 Exclusive in Storm Grey with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLD: '04 2.0HDi Exclusive in Arctic Steel with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLDEST: '02 1.6i SX in Sahara Gold

Future Airline Pilot

#8 pixan

pixan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

Ross744,

My heart goes out to you, and all other safe young drivers trying their best to survive todays insurance market. I really do have sympathy for your plight. I only wish I had a magic wand to reduce premiums for you and all responsible young drivers strugling to keep their cars on the road.

I agree with a lot of what you and Joe have said. But ask any insurer who the greater risk to them is and you will find it as I've said.

I'm sure you are a extremely responsible and a very savvy guy for your age. Buying a Xpic exclusive demonstrates that, especially if its a HDi 110 diesel!

BTW, what brand and grade of oils do you use in the engine and gearbox?

Hope you have a safe and accident-free period to enable you to two-finger the insurers. (Or should that be ONE finger?) :)

Edited by pixan, 05 August 2010 - 04:58 PM.

#9 g4jnw

g4jnw

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:work as Orthotech - semi-retired
    Hobbies: Sea Fishing, Radioham

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

Chris Knott are brokers so they should try and get the best for their customers, I have just had my renewal from them and they quoted 2 companies, 1 was the company i already had and another was a new one.

I just went on to a few search engine type companies, compare the market, money supermarket and a couple of others and beat their quote by over £100, wasn't compare the market that won unfortunatelys (didn't get the free meercat, shame)

One thing I did find out was some companies only quote up to 9 years no claims and I have more than 15 years.

I told them last year but when i quoted 15 years with one company they wanted to see the renewal notice from my previous company - via Chris Knott and they would not honor the 15 years as it said 9 (Buyer Beware)

Another one you have to watch and this was co-op insurance - they charge £25 admin fee if changing your car, I have had to change my other car twice this last year so just add £50 on the price again buyer beware.

#10 Border_Collie

Border_Collie

2.0 Hdi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

Ross, it's a shame there are not more drivers like you with your attitude, even the younger ones, however, there are two mistakes you have made.

1. There is NO fast lane. Lane one is for driving and 2, 3, 4 are overtaking lanes.
2. Ice mishap. At least you are safe but did you take a turn too fast or use your brakes, not realising there was black ice. If you were aware then changing down and letting the engine slow you is a better option.

Nowadays it appears to me people are taught to pass their test rather than how to drive. When I was taught, over 50 years ago, the first half hour of the first lesson was being parked up watching other cars and pointing out to the instructor what I thought they were doing wrong and if I missed something he would tell me.

A number of things come to mind, which I hope will help you.

If in doubt, don't pull out.

When travelling behind someone think, if the car in front was a brick wall, could I stop?

If driving in the winter and the road looks wet, open your window a few inches. If you can't hear the 'squishiness' of the tyres on the road, you are on black ice. Lift off the throttle and at an appropriate speed change down. So in my Pic I change 5 to 4 at 40, 4 to 3 at 30 etc. ABS doesn't stop you faster, it allows you to steer, gently, around obstructions.

In the Autumn when leaves are covering the road, usually country lanes, the leaves could look nice and dry but underneath will be wet and almost as bad as black ice.

And one of my own. 'Be hospitable and patient, not a hospital patient'.

------------------------------------------------------

Here's a thought. Imagine you are about to travel on a 140 mile trip and a next door neighbour, an old wrinkly like me, is doing the same. Two miles from home to the motorway and two miles from motorway to destination.

If you could average 70mph over the journey and me 60, you would get there in 2 hours whereas it would take me 2h 20m. The 20 minutes would be the maximum you would save. Obviously you would have to speed on the motorway to average 70 but would often have to slow a number of times for those keeping at 70. You would arrive uptight and I would arrive refreshed having travelled mostly in an empty lane 1, except when overtaking HGV's. You'd probably find you'd arrive no more than 10 minutes before me and would have used more fuel.

All worth thinking about Ross, I'm not critising you in any way, you appear very level headed and I think it's unfair you should be penalised with insurance because of your age. I've always thought a better idea would be to set an insurance rate and then give 10% discount for each accident free year but add on 20% per year for each accident within that year. Good luck to you and may you have many happy carefree, accident free miles in the future.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you realise most accidents occur within two miles of your home, best to move then. :lol:

#11 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

If you could average 70mph over the journey and me 60, you would get there in 2 hours whereas it would take me 2h 20m. The 20 minutes would be the maximum you would save. Obviously you would have to speed on the motorway to average 70 but would often have to slow a number of times for those keeping at 70. You would arrive uptight and I would arrive refreshed having travelled mostly in an empty lane 1, except when overtaking HGV's. You'd probably find you'd arrive no more than 10 minutes before me and would have used more fuel.
================================================================

Much wisdom there. When I "graduated" from the tools to be an Area Sales Engineer (it was also before speeding was looked on as it is today, and no speed cameras)I had to make a 100 mile trip from home each day in the company car and 100 miles home again. In the first few months I used to fly as fast as possible, not taking chances, but exeeding the speed limit by a big, big margin. Then I found that by cruising at a reasonable speed I was never more than 10 minutes later arriving at my destination and much more composed.
The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!