• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ross 744

Ross 744

1.6 Hdi (110) Excl (Storm Grey)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Aviation (Future Pilot), Picasso's (Ofcourse :P), Photography, Travelling, My Dog (Max-Border Collie)

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:04 PM

5th July marks 2 important things for the year.... 1) Its my 19th Birthday :) ... 2) INSURANCE RENEWAL :(

Now im literally ripping my hair out over this one. Got my renewal letter from Zurich Connect a few days back... £1973 Posted Image I have had one accident earlier this year in the ice and had to claim... amounting to £4605 after vol. excess. I pay monthly so this would amount to £182 a month. Now I love the Picasso so want to keep it and stay as the owner and main driver. I lost my 1yr no-claims bonus when I had my claim on the silver picasso put in.

I have looked on gocomapre, comparethemarket, confused.com etc.... and their best prices are in excess of £2400 Posted Image I have been with Zurich every since I was learning and would like to stay with them but does anyone know of anyway I can get this premium lowered.. or what I can say on the phone to a Zurich rep to try and lower it!

This is based on an average mileage of 10,000, vol. excess of £300, fully comprehensive. I managed to get a lower premium with admiral I think it was by putting a Vol. Excess of £1000!! Which actually dropped the premium to around £1400 but I dont think I could pay this if anything happened as I have to pay for my holiday next month (which is a bank breaker!).

Thanks all in advance for any advice given :)

Ross S
PRESENT
NEW: '53 Volkswagen Bora 1.9TDi 150 Sport in Bora Bora Red

PAST
NEW: '54 1.6HDi 110 Exclusive in Storm Grey with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLD: '04 2.0HDi Exclusive in Arctic Steel with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLDEST: '02 1.6i SX in Sahara Gold

Future Airline Pilot

#2 Wireless

Wireless

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Rugby Union, Aircooled Volkswagens, 4x4, Amateur Radio, & Shooting.

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

Not a lot you can do about it, you're a 19 year old male with a 1.6 litre car with exclusive trim, have zero no claims bonus, and will also have a percentage weighting applied to your premium because you've had nearly £5,000 worth of accident and claim. As far as the insurance company are concerned, you're a high risk.

The only way you can offset this is to drive a much smaller, older, and less powerful car, for at least two years, so that you can build up the no claims bonus and then pay the extra to protect it.

Believe it or not, you could probably put the Pic on stands in your garage for two years, and buy another small car and insure it third party for two years for less than the premium you've been quoted on the Pic.

Not what you wanted to hear I know, but the Insurance Companies have you over a barrel, and there's nothing you can do about it.

73 de M5WJF

2010 Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 1.6 EGS Exclusive
2011 Citroen C3 1.6 Airdream+

1973 Volkswagen Type 3 Variant 1600A

#3 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

Hi Ross,

Have you tried this lot...Club Marmalade ?

Pete
Growing old is compulsory; growing up isn't!
If you're not part of the solution...
...you're part of the precipitate!

#4 Ross 744

Ross 744

1.6 Hdi (110) Excl (Storm Grey)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Aviation (Future Pilot), Picasso's (Ofcourse :P), Photography, Travelling, My Dog (Max-Border Collie)

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the link! I thought they only done new/nearly new cars with insurance (only previously seen young marmalade) as I had never seen the Club Marmalade section before. So now awaiting a reply from them and hopefully they will be able to do something to help me out... if not... giving up the Picasso is NOT an option! I shall have to grin and bear giving the insurance company £182/month Posted Image Weird to think that some people dont even pay that a year!

Cheers
PRESENT
NEW: '53 Volkswagen Bora 1.9TDi 150 Sport in Bora Bora Red

PAST
NEW: '54 1.6HDi 110 Exclusive in Storm Grey with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLD: '04 2.0HDi Exclusive in Arctic Steel with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLDEST: '02 1.6i SX in Sahara Gold

Future Airline Pilot

#5 Jim Lumsden

Jim Lumsden

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:23 PM

Hi Ross - I'm one of those who doesn't pay that in a year. It's because I live in a rural area, aged 44 with a clean licence and 27 years of claim free driving. Being middle aged and boring has some benefits!

It's not worth jacking up your excess to ridiculous levels - it just exposes you to more risk than is reasonable.
1.8 52 Exclusive in Pentland Green
Peugeot 306 Diesel

#6 blondchaser

blondchaser

1.6 Hdi (Royal Blue)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • Interests:fast trucks and even faster women.

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

Hi Young Ross, it'as a real buzger this insurance for youngsters. I know it sounds daft but have you asked SAGA for a quote? When i came off Motability, i had a heck of a job getting reasonably priced insurance, which was not helped by my having bent my last Pic. Saga came up trumps. Insurance prices can vary a lot in a short space of time depending on the volume of business each insurance company is doing at that particular time.
Keep at it mate.

#7 Border_Collie

Border_Collie

2.0 Hdi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

Ross, have you tried Direct Line? When my two sons started driving they found they were the cheapest. If they do quote lower than Zurich telephone Zurich and ask if they'll match it. Also, do you really do 10000 miles per year or could it be less?. May make a difference if you up your Excess to £500.

#8 iamian

iamian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:46 PM

Anyone over 19 who has passed the IAM test (one off £135) can get discounted insurance from age of 19 through IAM Surety (Adelaide). Their quotes were not competitive for me (boring driver, boring car) but were quite reasonable for my IAM-qualified son.
I'd rather be boating

#9 mr-pic

mr-pic

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:00 model railway,
    Airfix
    making music.....

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

I have looked on Go compare, comparethemarket, confused.com etc.... I have been with Zurich every since I was learning and would like to stay with them but does anyone know of anyway I can get this premium lowered.. or what I can say on the phone to a Zurich rep to try and lower it! Thanks all in advance for any advice given

Hi....
Try the go compare web site? I was with hastings direct...they wanted over 600 quids third party.. after going on go compare i found "smart people budget" rang them they said it was with the co-op....£350..FULLY COMP..saved over 250 quid..... very happy..... Good luck....

#10 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,615 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:25 PM

Last year the C3 1.6Hdi was insured with One call, through the Gocompare site. total premium, £178, included Fully C, legal, protected 9 yr+ NCB, two named drivers both 65+, rescue service, excess £150, 5000miles/year.

Year later no accidents/no claims, premium £320.

Before left for the USA contacted them for renewal, sorry too early, will mail it, BUT we won't be in UK.
So nearer renewal date I email get email, back with attachment but it's empty.
Send email to daughter to read mail, find out it's £320.
email onecall again and get no reply of any substance so go to Gocompare.

which company comes out cheapest Onecall, premium £198.
So email One call and say will not be renewing this year.

Will now wait till we get home and then insure from that date maybe with a different company.Car is locked in garage not on public raod.

I used to think that being loyal earned you bonuses but with car/house insurance forget it. Change every year to a different company and save your loot
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#11 nitropixie

nitropixie

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Mini's, electronics, gadgets, general boys stuff

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

It's probably a bit late, but Adrian Flux usually have very competitive rates of car insurance, especially for youngers drivers. They are not on comparable websites and need to be contacted directly. They do a free call back facility though which is nice ;)
52 Plate Picasso SX HDI 2.0 - family car

2 x Golf Mk1 GTI's - projects

Classic (real) Mini City - Modified most bits and an engine for a stereo ;-)

#12 nitropixie

nitropixie

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Mini's, electronics, gadgets, general boys stuff

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:56 PM

It's probably a bit late, but Adrian Flux usually have very competitive rates of car insurance, especially for youngers drivers. They are not on comparable websites and need to be contacted directly. They do a free call back facility though which is nice ;)

http://www.adrianflux.co.uk/ for the link

Edited by nitropixie, 09 November 2010 - 07:57 PM.

52 Plate Picasso SX HDI 2.0 - family car

2 x Golf Mk1 GTI's - projects

Classic (real) Mini City - Modified most bits and an engine for a stereo ;-)

#13 Rybo

Rybo

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

I feel your pain! I bought my Pic last year as my first car after passing my test. My insurance was 1200 fully comp with NFU Mutual which I had to grin and bear due to being a new driver. I'm 30 next week but when I got my renewal a couple of months back NFU wanted £2900 which included my 1st year no claims discount and a renewal discount!! Obviously I told them were to put it. Bearing in mind I hadn't made any claims or got any points etc. I eventually managed to get a quote of 1200 with Admiral which I thought, well at least its the same and not more expensive than last year. This was the cheapest I could get but when I asked them to set it up on monthly payments this rocketed to £1680!! Disgusting! Nowt I could do about it so I had to pay it! I'm just hoping that my next remewal will be when I'm 30 and driving my "Dads Taxi" will finallly see my insurance come down! Here's hoping!

The new laws passed were there is now a register for insurance in the same way as MOTs should bring down the number of uninsured drivers which in turn should bring down the cost of insurance but I wont hold my breath!! Just another way to make sure the insurance companies are raking it in!