• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 callisr

callisr

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family.
    Anything that involves tinkering!
    Ex Landrover junkie

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:38 PM

What a cool new addition! And just at the right time too!

I am fitting a new kitchen and have completed the units on one side of the room. I have a tall fridge cupboard at one end, a tall oven unit at the other end and there will be worktop inbetween. I have put off cutting the worktop (which is 50mm thick) as I don't really fancy a hand saw due to chipping the laminate. How do you guys do it?

Rich

PS can we have a medical section too? My 18mnth old daughter has a mouth full of ulcers and swollen gums!

#2 Gteuk

Gteuk

Technical Genius, In my dreams

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,649 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

There are many ways to do this., if it is a straight cut then a circular saw will surfice, you will need to ensure a straight cut so I would use a pair of clamps and a straight piece of wood to use as your track unless you got a plunge saw with track.

If you are doing corners then more complicated, you can get a template for a router that will give you perfect scribes so you can create biscuit joints but all very costly so depends on what you want as a finish and how much you want to spend.

Glen

#3 gregers

gregers

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:family,golf,and the ford galaxy site lol

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

if using a skilsaw(circular)then the worktop has to be cut finish side down,or the laminate will tear/chip out,because of the way the saw cuts.
i mainly use a normal hand held saw when i cut mine to length,let the saw do the work,and i really only let it cut on the down stroke to eliminate and tear out.

others will no doubt have there own method of doing these jobs,but as im a qualified chippy for over 20 years this is mine,only mine and no one elses :lol:

galaxy forum moderator.

ford smax titianium 08 convers+ dash half leather etc.lurvly SOLD
lexus is200 navigator,oooh nice car but gave me a bloody bad back.so also now sold
ford galaxy 03 tdi ghia(proper mpv)with the same ammount of problems as your cars.now sold

also driving a 63 reg vw tiguan bluemotion,wow wot a mota.WAS.

GONE TO THE DARK SIDE,

vwt28 64 reg full camper conversion with poptop oh the fun.

#4 callisr

callisr

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
    Ex Landrover junkie

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hand saw it is then! Luckily most of the cut edge will be hidden so it won't matter too much if I get some chippage!

I am going to get a proper chippie in to do the round-the-corner worktop on the other side of the room. Definately not brave enough to go there!!

Cheers,

Rich

#5 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:21 PM

Our kitchen fitting friend uses a circular saw and cuts them laminate side down. IIRC, he's got a carbide tipped saw blade as the backing can blunt the blades fairly quickly. How about putting a strip of masking tape along the cut line on the laminate side - it may also help reduce/stop chipping.
Growing old is compulsory; growing up isn't!
If you're not part of the solution...
...you're part of the precipitate!

#6 callisr

callisr

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
    Ex Landrover junkie

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

Went with the circular saw option in the end, worktop upside down with a batton screwed to the underside to act as a guide. Brilliant result - no chipping of the laminate at all!! Massive amount of dust despite having the vacuum attatched to the saw (don't tell Mrs callisr!!!)

Cheers,

Rich

#7 Big G

Big G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

Probably too late this but for the corner joint, I'd ensure that your joiner uses a router and template with the worktop bolts underneath to give a perfect join. Looks so much better than having a piece of aluminium trim on top.

G

#8 gregers

gregers

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:family,golf,and the ford galaxy site lol

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:00 PM

i too would go down the masons mitre route,if your really clever you can do it by hand, ;) i dont have a jig so i use biscuits and poly glue.

galaxy forum moderator.

ford smax titianium 08 convers+ dash half leather etc.lurvly SOLD
lexus is200 navigator,oooh nice car but gave me a bloody bad back.so also now sold
ford galaxy 03 tdi ghia(proper mpv)with the same ammount of problems as your cars.now sold

also driving a 63 reg vw tiguan bluemotion,wow wot a mota.WAS.

GONE TO THE DARK SIDE,

vwt28 64 reg full camper conversion with poptop oh the fun.

#9 callisr

callisr

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
    Ex Landrover junkie

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

Probably too late this but for the corner joint, I'd ensure that your joiner uses a router and template with the worktop bolts underneath to give a perfect join. Looks so much better than having a piece of aluminium trim on top.

G

Too late eh??? Not flippin likely! The cut I asked about originally was a straight cut to length on the 'new' bit of kitchen. I still have to rip out most of the old kitchen and replace it with the new (just waiting for sparky to come and inspect my handy work with the new wiring before this stage). This stage will involve the joiner doing a corner joint.

The job kind of came to a halt due to work commitments etc!

if your really clever you can do it by hand, ;)

Im not LOL!!!

Rich

#10 Guest_Timbo66_*

Guest_Timbo66_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:02 PM

You can easily do the mitred corners if you have a Saw a Router and a Straight edge.
Cut the 45 degree at the front back about an inch, set an clamp the straight edge so that the cutter is in the right place and route the straight section, Lay this over the top of the second piece and mark with a pencil, again cut the 45 degree section with a saw and the straight part with the straight edge and a router. to get a really close fit under cut slightly on the routed section and use work top sealer to ensure no water gets into the joint. 3 or 4 straight repair plates will be sufficient to hold the 2 sections together.

#11 nikdb

nikdb

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:20 PM

When we done ours we loaned a work top guide and routed it out under the counter look has good as a brought one

#12 Dannyboy58

Dannyboy58

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

Post 4 (I want to start a thread for info and advice)

#13 rob39

rob39

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

Post 3, need advice

#14 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

Plenty knowledge out there from all walks of life, just ask. ps don't rush with a jigsaw, when it starts to wander its a devil to get back on line.