• 52 posts
  • Interests:family,golf,and the ford galaxy site lol

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

measure twice cut once :con:

just had to post something to get it started :cheers:
  • nikebchgpq, miecehxk, rhusaqod and 12 others like this

galaxy forum moderator.

ford smax titianium 08 convers+ dash half leather etc.lurvly SOLD
lexus is200 navigator,oooh nice car but gave me a bloody bad back.so also now sold
ford galaxy 03 tdi ghia(proper mpv)with the same ammount of problems as your cars.now sold

also driving a 63 reg vw tiguan bluemotion,wow wot a mota.WAS.

GONE TO THE DARK SIDE,

vwt28 64 reg full camper conversion with poptop oh the fun.

#2 Gteuk

Gteuk

Technical Genius, In my dreams

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,649 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

Remember to take into account the width if the saw when cutting, especially when using rip saws

Glen

#3 nikdb

nikdb

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:17 PM

If your not sure get someone else to do it

#4 Guest_tenpins_*

Guest_tenpins_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

but you then must pay

Edited by JoeBlunt, 16 February 2012 - 01:24 AM.
Quote Removed

#5 Guest_tenpins_*

Guest_tenpins_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

cant open new thread so im piggy backing this one any tips on driving in france

Edited by JoeBlunt, 16 February 2012 - 01:23 AM.
Quote Removed

#6 stevo p

stevo p

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Play cricket for a local team
    DIY, tinkering with mine and wife's car.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

Dont forget to drive on the right hand side of the road. :woot:

Edited by JoeBlunt, 16 February 2012 - 01:23 AM.
Quote Removed

#7 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,597 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

make sure that you go by ferry or the tunnel as the bridge isn't open yet
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#8 Border_Collie

Border_Collie

2.0 Hdi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

any tips on driving in france

The MOST important thing is the Priority Right where traffic coming from side turnings have priority (Priorty Droit) and can, and do, drive straight out into your path. When you see the yellow diamond sign, edged in white, with a black diagonal line across it, make sure you slow right down when approching a turning on the right and double check all is clear. These are now mainly in City's, Towns, Villages and Hamlets. If however the above mentioned sign has no black diagonal line then you drive as normal as you would here.

Another thing to look out for is there are no speed limit signs shown for Villages and Hamlets, the village name sign idicates you are entering a 50kph limit, when you get to the other end it wall have another name sign with a black diagonal line which means you are back to 90kph. I've noticed more and more there is a speed limit sign, usually 70kph, some distance before reaching the Village/Hamlet and occasionally there will be a sign the other end should the limit be lower than 90kph.

Stick to speed limits, the Gendarmes have fun setting up almost everywhere and use annoying tactics e.g. A rusty old corrugated Citroen or Ranault van, either jacked up with a wheel off or maybe the bonnet up apparently broken down BUT it has a camera inside.

Should you get stopped by the Gendarmes, for one reason or another, don't argue with them, they are right even if they are wrong. If you have no money to pay an on the spot fine they will drive you to the nearest bank or 'hole-in-the wall', take your money and then leave you there to make your own way back. (B******s!!!).

Double check the latest information I've received from my French friends.

Yellow vests must be worn if you get out of your car on a motorway. There must be one yellow vest for each passenger and keep them in the car, the boots no good because if you have to get out to go to the boot you won't be wearing a vest.

Tyres must not be more than six years old, regardless of how much tread they have. Not sure if this rule is in yet or coming later this year.

Everyone must have a breathalyser in the car to check if they are over the limit before driving. Again not sure if this applies now or later in the year.

Don't forget a red triangle should you break down. Not compulsory as hazard lights may be used but in the event of a rear end shunt your hazards may not be working.

Spare set of bulbs (Compulsory).

A first aid kit, not compulsory but you are obliged under French law to assist anyone injured in an accident, whether you were involved or not.

Headlamp deflectors, even if all your travel will be in daylight.

Don't forget your insurance 'green card', although no longer issued as a card you need to inform your insurance company.

No longer allowed to have 'speed cameras' on your Sat Nav device. A fine and device confiscated.

I'd recommend travelling via the Channel Tunnel and use their insurance and breakdown cover as it's quite cheap compared to other forms of insurance.

Can't think of anything else at the moment but will add below, in red, should anything come to mind.

A simple way to mentally convert kph to mph is ignore the zero and multiply by six. e.g. 50kph, ignore 0 =5 multiplied by 6 = 30mph, 110kph = 11 times 6 =66.

The worst bit about driving to France is on your return to England and the M20.

Sit back and enjoy the, most of the time, empty roads, it spoils you.

Good luck and enjoy. (How far are you travelling in France?)

More reading here > http://wikitravel.or...iving_in_France

Oh, nearly forgot, you will come across 45kph (27mph) signs when approaching schools and some 30kph (18mph) in some residential areas, the Police are very strict with thes limits so be careful. Also a STOP sign means STOP, if your wheels don't come to a halt the police will give you an on the spot fine.

When overtaking on the Autoroutes or Motorways, keep your indicator on until you pull back in. If, as here, you indicate to overtake then switch the indicator off, your rear view mirror will quickly be filled by someone expectinng you to pull back in.

#9 John Hellis

John Hellis

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Everyone must have a breathalyser in the car to check if they are over the limit before driving. Again not sure if this applies now or later in the year.

I have been told that you need TWO breathalysers because the police may ask you to test yourself with your breathalyser, then, guess what, they will do you for not having a working one in the car! :bhead:
What great guys they are :gun:

John

#10 diggy

diggy

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:camping,drinking and watching many various sports and did i mention drinking?? lol

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

learn some french swear words because i have seen how they drive and would make a nun swear lol :devil:

#11 cjem

cjem

1.6 Hdi 2005 Silver XPic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

The breathalyser comes into force at the begining of July. cjem

#12 2m00ns

2m00ns

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

Hi wise one. I'm in the same boat. Just starting today& no idea yet how this thing works. It all seems really complicated for a question and answer forum. Well good luck :bhead:

#13 2m00ns

2m00ns

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

A great maintenance tip.
Spray your indicator light stalk and wiper switch with WD40 while gently operating the switches. This will double the life expectancy of the switches. These switches contain multiple complicated contacts and levers, if one sticks it can cause no end of problems that you may not relate to the associated switch. I was recently quoted £350.00+ because I was experiencing my dipped headlights coming on in the day on their own. A sympathetic auto electrician volunteered this info. It not only cured the self operating light it also fixed a dimming problem that I had on the dashboard. Cost 0.00 I borrowed the WD40 from my brother. Good result or what?
:cheers:

#14 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Did someone leave the asylum door open again?
The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#15 mcdig

mcdig

Med Blue HDI owners club

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Lance, he has been banned. :ninja: :ninja:

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

#16 mikkisned

mikkisned

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

I noticed on my 04 pic you can change speed from mph into kph

#17 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Change it and scare your passengers, at 60 mph they'll think you are doing 96.

#18 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,597 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

if you really want to go metric then the gallons appear in litres too and the litres/100km reads zero when the car is on the overrun (diesel do anyway)

17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#19 Border_Collie

Border_Collie

2.0 Hdi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Change it and scare your passengers, at 60 mph they'll think you are doing 96.

My mate had told me the 90bhp Pics were slow, so last time I was in France I set to kph and took a photo of the clock showing 134, He said he hadn't realised Pics, which he thought was showing mph, would go that fast.  :lol:

#20 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Not certain but believe that my 2tr petrol is listed with top speed 118 mph.