8 replies to this topic

#1 edddiec

edddiec

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

Recently after the cold weather the screen washers on my wifes Picasso stopped working.

I assumed that it was the fuse and was pleased to find today that the fuse was in fact blown. I replaced the fuse, pressed the wiper switch to wash the screen front and back and some water came out onto the windscreen/rear window - and then nothing - it stopped working. (Yes I did fill up the fluid!)

I checked the fuse agin and it seems be be ok. Any advice as to what could be wrong and how to go about fixing it would be gratefully received as the wife is beginning to bite my head about it! :unsure:

EC

#2 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, woder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7590 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:08 AM

The reason the fuse blew in the first place was most likely a frozen tube. Now that the weather is slightly warmer it should have defrosted. However there are several weak points in the system.

1) In the rear tail gate there is a joint in the pipe that can blow apart if the jet is blocked. It's near the top of the gate.

2) The same motor is used to drive the pump for both the front and rear screens. it rotates one way for the front and the other for the rear. a small valve swops over to direct the flow. This valve can become blocked with 'cr?p' in the washer bottle. This is hidden behind the driver's side wheel arch liner. Howver if you can apply an air line to the outlet nozzle or the tubes near the jets it is possible to blow the crud out.

3) The last is that the pump may have given up the ghost.

search in the tech section FAQs for how to change it.
62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#3 jimux

jimux

C4 1.6 Hdi SX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:45 PM

Citroen dealers advise replacing the original 10amp fuse with a 15 amp one.

#4 edddiec

edddiec

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

Tried to blow the crud out with the air line and the front washer system started to work OK but when I tried to use the rear wash wipe it wouldn't work and the front one doesn't work either now.

Could it be a fault on the switch? How could I find out? The motor does not seem to be turning (it isn't making a noise when I switch on!)

EC

#5 mcbolland

mcbolland

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

Hi everyone,

My car has suffered the same fault from the cold weather, I had a look at the Haynes manual and I couldn't a fuse in the circuit diagram (is it just me?) so I went straight to the washer pump and gave it a strip-down. I also connected a spare battery to the connections of the detached washer pump and it worked a treat.

Put the washer pump back on the car and it still doesn't work.

Come this weekend I'll blast the tubes with a pressure hose, but where is the fuse?

Regards

Mike Bolland

#6 Johncarey

Johncarey

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

Hi all.

Having a similar problem with my front washers. The rear works fine but the front does not even wipe or squirt when the stalk is pulled. The pump does not activate either. Like I have said the rear makes the pump run fine. This all seems to have started when the washer bottle ran dry. I have read in other posts that it is probably dirt on the pump selector ( front or back ) but I was not sure if this would stop the wipers functioning as well. The front wipers work fine when switched on to any other position apart from wash. Its a 2.0 Hdi Xsara Pic.

Any help before I get ripped by a mian dealer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
John

#7 rodderstrotter

rodderstrotter

2.0 Hdi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

So when you pull the stalk, the wipers don't move either? Is so, sounds like the column switch.

2004 2.0HDI PICASSO EXCLUSIVE
2010 HYUNDAI i20

#8 stumped

stumped

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Heres a good one my wipers work fine when i pull the stalk towards me for the washer to release water on windscreen the wipers activate correctly....only the water doesn't come out the front as it should it comes out the rear washer nozzle  :blush:  when turned to activate the rear wash facility it work fine on the rear just no water getting to front screen.....any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance  Picasso 2004 1.6 petrol if that helps any clues.

Edited by stumped, 16 February 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#9 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, woder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7590 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

look in FAQs in the TECH FORUM for Mk1 and MK2 there is a thread about this and how to fix it.

62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS