11 replies to this topic

#1 Fernando

Fernando

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:50 AM

I'VE GOT A C4 PICASSO WHICH IS 11 MONTHS OLD. ALL WAS OK FOR THE 1st FEW MONTHS, WHEN I TURNED OFF THE IGNITION THE RADIO STAYED ON FOR ABOUT 30 MINS IF REQUIRED THEN THE ECONOMY MODE CUT IN BUT NOW I ONLY GET ABOUT 2 MINS IF I'M LUCKY!!
THIS ALSO RESTRICTS THE ABILITY TO BE ABLE TO RAISE OR LOWER THE PNUMATIC REAR SUSPENSION.
THE CAR WAS SERVICED THIS WEEK AND THE DEALER CARRIED OUT A "SOFTWARE UPDATE" WHICH THEY SAID WOULD CURE THE PROBLEM BUT IT'S STILL EXACTLY THE SAME. CITROEN CUSTOMER SERVICE SEEM UNABLE OR UNWILLING TO HELP SO HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM & ANY IDEAS HOW TO RECTIFY IT ?

#2 Ross 744

Ross 744

1.6 Hdi (110) Excl (Storm Grey)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Aviation (Future Pilot), Picasso's (Ofcourse :P), Photography, Travelling, My Dog (Max-Border Collie)

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:13 AM

New Battery?
PRESENT
NEW: '53 Volkswagen Bora 1.9TDi 150 Sport in Bora Bora Red

PAST
NEW: '54 1.6HDi 110 Exclusive in Storm Grey with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLD: '04 2.0HDi Exclusive in Arctic Steel with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLDEST: '02 1.6i SX in Sahara Gold

Future Airline Pilot

#3 Rob.S

Rob.S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2346 posts
  • Interests:Severn Valley Railway. Steam Locomotives. Photography. Rallying

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

11 months old - Still under warranty then? The dealership really should sort this.
'02 2.0Hdi.... in Cool Mint

Volunteer worker... Severn Valley Railway.

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.

View my Flickr photos here

How to drive in snow - no studs !!!

#4 Fernando

Fernando

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

Hi, I have been suffering with the dreaded economy mode problems. My car is 11 months old but the economy mode started cutting in after only 2 or 3 mins. Last week it had a software update to cure the problem but to no effect so I returned this week insisting on a more detailed inspection. The dealer has now found a bulletin from Citroen which referred to potentially corroded battery terminals causing the problem. They carried out repairs in line with the buletin & now all is well at last.

Edited by JoeBlunt, 13 August 2009 - 12:56 PM.
Merged Topics

#5 chris2009

chris2009

1.6 2005 Desire 2 XPic Petrol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

so what does " economy mode " mean ? i had my xsara picasso for two weeks and when i fitted the speakers and turned radio on to test them they worked but after some time it displayed economy mode. whats it mean?
Chris

#6 Fernando

Fernando

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:09 PM

Hi, apparantly the economy mode is a system built in to protect the battery from going flat. When you turn the ignition off you should be able to continue listening to the radio for a further 30mins after which the economy mode cuts in to protect the battery

#7 chris2009

chris2009

1.6 2005 Desire 2 XPic Petrol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:42 PM

Hi, apparantly the economy mode is a system built in to protect the battery from going flat. When you turn the ignition off you should be able to continue listening to the radio for a further 30mins after which the economy mode cuts in to protect the battery

oh, i take it some people on here are getting it while driving? when i got the message the radio went off but when i started the car radio came back on , so i guess thats how it should work?
Chris

#8 blondchaser

blondchaser

1.6 Hdi (Royal Blue)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1119 posts
  • Interests:fast trucks and even faster women.

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

I'VE GOT A C4 PICASSO WHICH IS 11 MONTHS OLD. ALL WAS OK FOR THE 1st FEW MONTHS, WHEN I TURNED OFF THE IGNITION THE RADIO STAYED ON FOR ABOUT 30 MINS IF REQUIRED THEN THE ECONOMY MODE CUT IN BUT NOW I ONLY GET ABOUT 2 MINS IF I'M LUCKY!!
THIS ALSO RESTRICTS THE ABILITY TO BE ABLE TO RAISE OR LOWER THE PNUMATIC REAR SUSPENSION.
THE CAR WAS SERVICED THIS WEEK AND THE DEALER CARRIED OUT A "SOFTWARE UPDATE" WHICH THEY SAID WOULD CURE THE PROBLEM BUT IT'S STILL EXACTLY THE SAME. CITROEN CUSTOMER SERVICE SEEM UNABLE OR UNWILLING TO HELP SO HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM & ANY IDEAS HOW TO RECTIFY IT ?

Please do me a great big favour, and report your negative experiences with Citroen Service Dept to your local press. If they refuse to fix any future problems (excessive tyre wear/ clutch problems) etc under warranty, then please contact trading standards. It's high times that Citroen Aftersales Care was brought to book, as it seems this 3year warranty is only a sales/marketing tool. Also, write a pretty straight letter to Gary Savage, MD. Citroen UK at Slough. I have.

#9 Navigator

Navigator

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

Hi blondchaser,
I have the same annoying problem. Can't even listen to the radio for more than 5 mins after engine off.... I read on another forum that the Grand C4 has a battery monitor and if it drops below 70% it will force encomomy mode early.
I wish I could find a way around it.
C4 Grand Picasso 1.8 Petrol 08

#10 davegila

davegila

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

Hi blondchaser,
I have the same annoying problem. Can't even listen to the radio for more than 5 mins after engine off.... I read on another forum that the Grand C4 has a battery monitor and if it drops below 70% it will force encomomy mode early.
I wish I could find a way around it.

My Dealer has told me that once it is out of warranty, they can change the software so that the economy mode monitor is turned off. But, I "must understand that the battery is at risk from running low and not starting the engine because of all the electrical things that are running ie, suspension leveler pump etc". As an electrician I do understand the implications, but also expect a good battery to run a car radio for a couple of hours without worrying if the engine will start.

Edited by davegila, 22 August 2010 - 11:25 AM.

#11 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, woder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7430 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:12 PM

Economy mode is activated by the cars brain. As others have said it's to stop you havig a flat battery. Now it dowesn't just work on the radio, to be honest the battery drain by that is small, but the interiro lights the side lights etc will also acivate it

Thiose of you with auto air con will also note that there is an ECO MODE on that. Now that is ifferent and has nothing to do with the battery. In this case it allows the auto air con system to operate BUT without the air con compressor running. Strange but true.
62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#12 pixan

pixan

1.6Hdi (57) Desire 2 Grey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3245 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:11 AM

Thiose of you with auto air con will also note that there is an ECO MODE on that. Now that is ifferent and has nothing to do with the battery. In this case it allows the auto air con system to operate BUT without the air con compressor running. Strange but true.

Stim, I thought only the Japanese were clever little bu&&ers! They don't have EXOCET either!