#1 Hellraiser

Hellraiser

2.0 Hdi Desire 2 2004

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:48 AM

www.salaaminsurance.com

Been after a quote for my Pic, and cos of the area I live in the prices are rather high (200 quid more than where I lived before) - just tried Salaam insurance and they have quoted me around 390 quid and that includes no-claims protection and my tuning box as well...

Anyone tried them? Any reviews?

Hellraiser........>

#2 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:30 AM

Did they ask you if you were a Muslim?

Their introduction:

[quote]Salaam Halal insurance is the UK
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#3 Hellraiser

Hellraiser

2.0 Hdi Desire 2 2004

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:50 AM

OK, but aside from your grudge against the Islamic peeps, anyone got a view based on customer service? I'm not bothered what faith, belief, colour of skin or whatever, all I'm bothered about is the service provided and the value for money. Based on your rather bigoted opinion, I guess I shouldn't use my local garage (who are extremely efficient and charge fairly), nor my local computer shop (who again provide excellent customer service, at a fair price) simply because they are run by muslims.

Personally, I have no time for any religious belief system (that's what comes of being brought up as a Catholic and being told not to question your faith), but I think your outburst seems a little harsh, seeing as you have nothing other than rhetoric to back it up.

Oh, and you don't need to be a muslim to be a customer, this sort of thing appeals to those who like co-operatives etc, due to their faith prohibiting them from either charging interest or making ridiculous profits (one or the other anyway).

Cheers

Hellraiser..........>

Edited by Hellraiser, 16 July 2009 - 10:52 AM.

#4 Dan Gleebitz

Dan Gleebitz

2.0 HDi SX in Sahara Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,202 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:06 AM

OK, but aside from your grudge against the Islamic peeps, ......Based on your rather bigoted opinion, ....... but I think your outburst seems a little harsh, seeing as you have nothing other than rhetoric to back it up.

So you have noticed this as well ........ :(

#5 bikerhoward

bikerhoward

1.8 SX 2002 (02)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

OK done some googling and they are indeed authorised by the FSA. But given the idiocy exhibited by the FSA recently it's probably meaningless.

So they seem legit. I'm in the industry and I know motor just is not that profitable. Too many players all cutting each others throat for business and claims far too high. My hunch is that they'll fail in a couple of years. So if your getting a cheap deal, by all means go for it, for now, but don't expect them to be around for the long term.

BUT be aware that they are new, unproven and their claims performance will undoubtedly be second rate. If it was me I just wouldn't.

Plus they won't touch your Porker er Porsche!

See I got through that without making reference to Osama Bin Bloke being a non executive director...oh cr4p.....! :D

Edited by bikerhoward, 16 July 2009 - 01:08 PM.

Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....

#6 Hellraiser

Hellraiser

2.0 Hdi Desire 2 2004

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:56 PM

Lol, well I'll see how much my renewal is with Virgin, then might just consider going with them - just peed off that I'm paying over the odds for my insurance, simply because I live in a dodgy area, surely that can be classed as discrimination....

Cheers all

Hellraiser..........>

#7 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:35 PM

Surely that's what insurance companies do balance the risk of paying out against the risk? So if you live in a "dodgy Area" you must accept there's a higher risk of claiming hence you'll pay a higher premium - that's surely how it works?

My earlier comment was nothing to do with having a grudge with muslims, I was merely pointing out they shouldn't imply their intention to cater for a single faith, that surely encourages segregation? I would hardly call my comment "an outburst" just stating the facts.

You'll never know how good an isurance company is until you claim then its too late............... let them earn their reputation / track record in their claims department before you vote with your dosh. B)
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#8 bikerhoward

bikerhoward

1.8 SX 2002 (02)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:40 AM

Joe I think the essential point of this 'Takaful' concept they espouse is that they believe you should not make a profit. Which IMO is daft and frankly an alien concept to us in the 'dhimmi west. You need to make a profit to have the cash to build up reserves (through investments) for years where you make no profit. So thats just one of the reasons why I doubt they will last more than two years.

To be an insurer basically you need to start with a big pile of cash -yours or better still borrowed. If your an invester and the principles of a company that is asking for your cash are 'we seek to make no profit' then you tell me. Whats my motivation to lend you my cash? I can see none at all. I think the whole concept is stupid.

Another problem I have with this is that the concept allows no specific rating of the risk- waffles on about common pool etc etc (I wikipedia'd Takaful -ergh!). So bloke A in good area should pay the same as bloke B in downtown junkieville. If they are doing that (as they claim) they're doomed. They'll collect the biggest portfolio of deadbeats and bad risks you'll ever see (IMO).

Plus it's unfair to bloke A. If they are not doing this and are rating it the same as everyone else then they are already breaking their own self publicised ethics. A company lying to you when they are seeking your business is IMO not good.

Finally as God himself mentioned to me on the number nine bus this morning. He said he doesn't exist at all and that organised religion is wrong and stupid and inherently it causes wars, killing and wearing of frocks and silly hats. Amen!
Can't argue with the big guy can you!
:lol:

Edited by bikerhoward, 17 July 2009 - 10:45 AM.

Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....

#9 rdfb2

rdfb2

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:everything + nothing

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

free speach + choice to buy insurance , or any goods,from where you like, and from who, is what makes us free people, and a democrasy, surly thats what the boys are fighting for in far of lands, back in 1992 i was a milkman serving a indian/ ? family, six pints a day very good customer, one day a note was left cancelling her order,when i called to see her she explained she was happy with my service, but had been told by her mosque leader, to change to a indian milkman, and she had to do this, soon i was not serving any indian families, so this could happen to insurance as well, sads but true,
2001 SX 1.6 PETROL.

#10 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,615 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:11 AM

Interesting about the Shirah law. Do they charge interest on the papyments if you pay monthly. By shirah law that is illegal.

Also do they insure against

Acts of terroism
Acts of god

uinder Islam the later is wileld and therefore is not an accident and is therefore not insurable. I spent 12 years in Saudia Arabia which has all these rules.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#11 tigga

tigga

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:12 PM

Interesting about the Shirah law. Do they charge interest on the papyments if you pay monthly. By shirah law that is illegal.

Also do they insure against

Acts of terroism
Acts of god

or do they stone the guilty driver to death to keep his premiums down? sorry first post and had to join in lol :clown:

#12 pixan

pixan

1.6Hdi (57) Desire 2 Grey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:28 AM

What do the charge for a two hump camel?

#13 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

Do you have to drive a taxi to be insured by them ?

#14 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,615 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

mules & asses are grp 1
Camels one hump grp 2
Camels two hump grp 3
cars grp 4
car driven by foreigners are grp 10.

Advice from insurance company was that when invited to take part in a accident and people are involved always hit a women not a man as they are 2 for 1.
In saudi a man could rise to be very important but a women can't so the compensation is far greater for a man.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#15 Guest_sweammats_*

Guest_sweammats_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:09 AM

Thank you for good site.
Very helpful. I add your web site in my google reader. I will return again.
bye...

#16 mcdig

mcdig

Med Blue HDI owners club

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

I have my eye on you. :ninja:

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!