3 replies to this topic

#1 Abacus

Abacus

C4 1.8 SX 2007 (petrol)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:42 PM

Who has used both and which did you prefer?

I've been looking at roof boxes and trailers and they seem to be of a similar price.
My C4 Pic has a tow bar fitted but I don't have fitted rails for a top box.
I would have storage problems with both options when they are not in use.
The trailer could be used for trips to the tip. But isn't there a speed limit and lane restrictions when towing?
How did the roof box affect fuel consumption and wind noise?
My computer might beat me at chess but it will lose everytime at kick boxing.

Dave Liverpool 2007 C4 Picasso 1.8i SX

#2 halli

halli

Fiat Ulysse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:54 PM

I used a roof box last year when we travelled to Disneyland Paris from Northumberland.

No problems whatsoever, about 10-15mpg sacrificed for the pleasure (2.0 HDI)

No problems with parking (as I would imagine with a trailer), speed limits and no problems with manoeuvrability.

I was however very, very "careful" (spam filter cropped my first choice of words) when it came to attaching the roof box to the rails. I used the standard U clips as well as drilling some holes to allow cable ties to be used. Add to this the four ratchet straps around the box and it wasn't going anywhere.

You would be able to get more in a trailer though, and you can fit a roof box onto a trailer too. I suppose if you were that way inclined (or had loads of stuff) you could have a roof box and a trailer with a roof box! ;)

Edited by halli, 25 May 2009 - 09:55 PM.

2.0 HDI Exclusive (52 with personal Irish plate) in youthful Sahara Gold Now re-homed :(
Replaced with a Fiat Ulysse.
1990 Eunos Roadster - The Daily commute

#3 paul gee

paul gee

1.8 Petrol Xsara Picasso

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:cars<br /><br />the countryside

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:04 PM

if you do use a roofbox, you cannott always park in multi-storey car parks due to height restrictions! these restrictions also apply to other carparks so take care. i once tried to use one with a bike on the roof. oops!!!!!!

#4 Marvin

Marvin

Skoda Yeti SE Greenline II, 1.6TDi, Steel Grey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:17 AM

And remember that the pic is a tall car, so loading a roofbox can be a pain, and makes driving in a cross wind a bit more dodgy.
You'll get loads more in a trailer, but you do have speed restrictions (as for caravans)

I started off with a roof box, and soon ditched it in favour of a trailer (I'm quite short, so loading the roofbox was difficult).
If you go for a trailer, consider getting one with a tailgate, much more versatile. Also consider getting one that can be stored on its end (takes up much less space) but to do this the lights etc must be mounted at the sides of the body so they don't get broken when you upend it.

"Life? Don't talk to me about life....."