#1 geordiepaul2005

geordiepaul2005

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

Hi all,

My vehicle is a category D insurance loss.
When I bought the vehicle I had a mechanic check it out and he said that the only issue was a missing wheel arch liner.
I have wrote to the previous keeper involved in the accident and he just sid that the car had front end damage and the insurer wrote the car off.
The car was originally motability therefore it could have been wrote off as the cost of replacing parts and providing a replacement car was too much.

How can I find out for sure?
Is their an accessible insurnce database to find out the reasoning?

Paul

#2 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:52 PM

What year, mileage, model is your Pic?
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#3 Supercar

Supercar

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:09 PM

When an insurance company decides not to repair a vehicle they will issue it with a salvage classification category.

Salvage categories were introduced in an effort to curb vehicle crime in the UK. They were developed by the Association of British Insurers (ABI) with the assistance of vehicle recyclers, the DVLA and the UK Police Force.

The categories are as follows:

#4 geordiepaul2005

geordiepaul2005

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

What year, mileage, model is your Pic?

2005 (05), 28,000 miles (21,500 when purchased), 1.8 litre petrol exlcusive model

#5 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:08 AM

B - Not for resale. Damaged beyond economical repair and/or severe structural damage. Notification of Destruction required. (Parts can be removed and sold). Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

Actually Cat 'B' write offs are actually finding their way back on to the road, I know of vehicles that have (legally).

I have contacted the previous owner who was the owner at the time, he states he had an accident which damaged the front end but didn't give anymore details.
2005 (05), 28,000 miles (21,500 when purchased), 1.8 litre petrol exclusive model

I'm surprised a 2005 with low mileage was a Cat 'D', my guess is it had light body damage perhaps f/bumper but enough to activate the airbags and perhaps ruin the rad(s) A/C etc? (F/Bumper, Bonnett, Radiator, F/Airbags + kit, Dash?) anything more and it'd be a Cat 'C'.

I was in a Salvage yard today and whilst I was there a bloke bought parts for an '07' Zafira which had lost its front end.....

Bumper / Bonnet / NS Wing / OS Wing / NS & OS Headlights / Front Cross member incl box sections / Radiator / Air Con Rad / Front Slam Panel / Airbags + Kit + Dashboard / Total
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#6 jase74

jase74

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:12 PM

Hmm interesting reading this, one of the cars i have been looking at is a catD write off. Anyone had any problems insuring a cat D?

Jase

#7 mcdig

mcdig

Med Blue HDI owners club

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:24 AM

No, I have insured both Cat C and D vehicles in the past. Just tell the insurance company (they usually know off the reg No anyway) but if it is written off again you may not get full market value for the vehicle.

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

#8 jase74

jase74

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:58 AM

Thanks very much, that's very helpful.

#9 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

Sons pic was a cat D write-off for a caved in n/s sill, uneconomic repair on an otherwise sound Y reg, independant garage quoted £80 to repair but car would need to be retested in Manchester due to the catagory placed on it, gave the impression a special test was required each year and any new keeper notified, he got shut as a trade-in to avoid the hassle
If car was worth so little why did it cost so much to insure ?

Edited by granpa, 18 March 2012 - 04:35 PM.