• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Big G

Big G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:39 AM

Just been trawling the Internet for van insurance. The missus may need to drive the van so I got quotes with her added too. When I did add her to the quote, I found that with most insurance companies, the price went down by over 10%. I thought that this may have been because of her occupation but got the same price regardless of whether she was a 'professional' or a 'housewife'.

I got a really good price but then realised that, if you have two vehicles, you have to earn the discount on both vehicles separately. :oops: Still got a reasonable price though eventually.

G

#2 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,615 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:21 AM

Named drivers has always been a good discount benefit.

the company know then that the car/van will only be driven by those named, not some spotty faced herbert with 2 minutes experience. therefore it's a good risk.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#3 Big G

Big G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:36 AM

I'm not fully with you - doesn't take much to lose me. :wacko:

When I first put in the details for a quote, I left the missus off. In other words, only I could drive the car (unless I'm mistaken). I then thought how much of a pain it would be if she needed to move the van to get the car off the drive or if I'd taken the car. I therefore added her to the quote and got an instant reduction - not the result I expected.

G

#4 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:25 AM

Was it just you befroe or any driver.

Usually the fact that a couple (wed of at same addres)are the named brings down the price.
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#5 russ711

russ711

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:51 AM

If you are male & put a female driver on it will lower your premium, we always run our cars in my wife's name, statistically its true, a male driver may write a single car off costing tens of thousands of pounds whereas women tend to go for car park damage which isnt really worth claiming for :D :fw:

Edited by JoeBlunt, 22 November 2009 - 11:20 AM.
Quote Removed - No Need to Quote the Previous Post if you are replying immediately afterwards

#6 iamian

iamian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:12 AM

statistically its true, a male driver may write a single car off costing tens of thousands of pounds

I guess this sort of episode gets included in those statistics?

Attached Files

I'd rather be boating

#7 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:45 PM

Got a sample quote adding my daughter [10 years full clean licence], it upped my premium over

#8 pictish

pictish

Xsara Picasso Diesel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

If I was to reg my new car, when I get one, in my name will I be able to claim some NCD after 5 continuous years driving as a named driver on wifes policy?

Or will I have lost that after not having my own policy for over 2 years?

I did have over 12 years incident free driving before that...
54 1.6 hdi Exclusive Icelandic Green

#9 cjem

cjem

1.6 Hdi 2005 Silver XPic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:52 AM

After looking around the 'Compare' websites, I decided that Marks & Sparks offered the best deal, (European cover and breakdown via RAC) included, and 50%plus cheaper than my previous insurer.

#10 Guest_big_massa_*

Guest_big_massa_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

Working in insurance, its not about the number of people on a policy its about the type of risk you are covering.

For instance:

A single male on a policy could be looked at as a higher risk than a husband and wife because if you are a couple then the likelyhood you have children is high. So the chances are you will be more careful with your family onboard. Though this is just one way to look at it.

There is a multitude of others.

Stu

#11 Guest_tomjazz_*

Guest_tomjazz_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:36 PM

Just been trawling the Internet for van insurance. The missus may need to drive the van so I got quotes with her added too. When I did add her to the quote, I found that with most insurance companies, the price went down by over 10%. I thought that this may have been because of her occupation but got the same price regardless of whether she was a 'professional' or a 'housewife'.

I got a really good price but then realised that, if you have two vehicles, you have to earn the discount on both vehicles separately. :oops: Still got a reasonable price though eventually.

G

Sorry i had to come onto this page. Can someone tell me how to use this site i have tried to introduce myself and cant find were i start ???? thanks tom

#12 steve00117

steve00117

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:48 PM

http://www.citroenpi...hp?showforum=33

#13 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

This year I did insurance comparisons through Top Cash Back search engine and it really paid off, not only did I find good quotes but cash back as well, I did the same for breakdown cover then home insurance, just to check the quotes were not hiked up for this site I conducted a direct quote from insurance providers, yes it was a genuine deal, in total I am getting back £140, try it.

#14 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:05 PM

Privilege renewal came for my c4 pic, a bit steep at £360, straight on comparison sites, eventually through topcashback, Hastings Direct came in at £100 cheaper, same cover etc, will be phoning present one to see if they will match or better

#15 welly_59

welly_59

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:42 PM

my previous car was a bmw 318ci m-sport, and would you believe that the insurance on my picasso is actually more expensive!

#16 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:42 AM

This was on Martin's Money saving tips this week http://www.moneysavi...e&utm_content=2

#17 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

Result, phoned privilege renewals and they got it down to £245.92, which is £14 less that swapping to Hastings

#18 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

When I called Churchill to cancel they just asked why, I said got it cheaper £50 saved which for an OAP is worth the change. No well we could match that for you or let me have a look, just OK will not that and send you NCB cert. The price comparison sites even gave Churchill with the same policy as cheaper than the renewal.

Note that with Churchill there is NO continental cover, you have to pay extra, with Swinton which is an AVIVA policy it's included up to 90 days.