4 replies to this topic

#1 Brigbeale

Brigbeale

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:17 PM

I have a 2001 Picasso 2.0 HDI with 143000 miles under it's belt.
For a short while now there's been a vibration on the clutch pedal.
Ok when at top of travel. Ok when pushed hard to the floor. When it's even slightly moved off floor vibration is felt in unison with engine revs. Put it down to wear in clutch plate/cover/release bearing.
Yesterday, went to supermarket and seemed the same.
Went to leave and reversed out of parking bay and whole car shook with a more pronounced judder from the clutch pedal. Same in first and second at low speeds when the clutch pedal is in use. Ok when driving at normal speed (30 tops on single carriageway road in built up area :D).
Got home and jacked it up to inspect engine mountings and stabiliser mount. Son had a Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI with a stabiliser rubber shot to pieces but it didn't vibrate at all. Anyway stabiliser rubber looks in perfect condition and what seems normal movement on other engine mounts as well.
Noticed that clutch operating lever is waggling about when the clutch pedal is pushed and a bearingy noise is coming from the gearbox/bellhousing.
Deduced that the clutch release bearing is probably knackered <_< .
Son tried the feel of the pedal and said it could be the hydraulic system???.
I still reckon it's the release bearing.
Anyone agree with my suspicions?

#2 Big G

Big G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:48 PM

If the bearing release arm is wobbling, I would say that it's either the bearing that's shot or the arm has become disengaged.

Try bleeding the hydraulics to see if that's the problem but I'd be inclined to say it was bearing related.

If you do need a new bearing, you may as well change the clutch at the same time. £400 is a figure that is thrown about on here for a franchised job.

G

#3 taximan

taximan

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:17 PM

Had same problem, it turned out to be the fingers on the clutch cover when my local garage took the box out all but four fingers had broken did,nt complain though car had done 123.000 mls.

#4 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:19 PM

Complete New Clutch Required B)

If its the original you've done well...................... B)
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#5 Brigbeale

Brigbeale

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for your replies.

Prolbem sorted now :D

Took gearbox off with son's mechanic freind.
Face of release bearing was ripped to shreds.
5 fingers on clutch cover broken/worn through. Rest showing heavy signs of wear.
Release bearing not connected to release fork.
Main problem was the tube where release bearing slides. It is fitted to the geabox via a phlange which incorporates the gearbox oil seal. There was a massive groove worn into the end from where the bearing was rattling around on it. The tube itself had sheared off of the phlange and was also rattling around. No damage to main shaft though.
Doubt if original clutch - this one had LUK stamped all over it.

Clutch kit cost just over £60 from Euro Car Parts.
Release bearing guide cost £9.72 from Hartwells Citroen (main agent).
Paid son's mate £60 for his trouble. Took all day and stayed on to cure non start problem (turned out to be crank sensor plug put in wrong way round.
Total cost about £130 :D :D :D

Result is very smooth operating clutch and overall running is a lot quieter!! :D :D :D

Edited by Brigbeale, 27 March 2008 - 08:56 PM.