• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Bottletree

Sir Bottletree

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Interests: Eating junk(preferably chips), watchin telly, looking at my car and teasing the wife and kid. Yes i am fat. No i'm not idle. I can be an idiot at times.

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:13 PM

Hello,
I was done for speeding in nov 2004 and was wondering if the points on my license get taken off after 3 years?
Would like to know because my renewal quote is in April and it would be nice to not have those points on my license anymore. But in saying that i did hear an insurance guy on the radio say that having just 3 points on your license would not normally affect your premium. I find that hard to believe, dont you?
And finally, if the 3 points no longer count on your license, do you send the paper part in to the dvla or whoever to have it removed?
Ta in advance.

#2 motorman116

motorman116

Ford Mondeo Tdci 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:29 PM

The points stay on you license for a total of 4 years
Thats 3 years the law say and 1 year longer that dvla say.
2007 (57) 2.4 tdci Ford Transit long wheel base, high top van, 6 seater crew cab, Rear wheel drive

#3 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:54 PM

Most insurance company's will accept up to 2 x 3 pen points for speeding without it affecting your premium. B)
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#4 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:01 PM

I can confirm both of the above! 3 Years on licence but not removable until 4 years; my insurers , Norwich Union, made no changes to my premium as a result of this. When I informed them I'd been caught, I got the impression that they saw many of these fines are revenue raising :o unless you were seriously over the speed limit.
Growing old is compulsory; growing up isn't!
If you're not part of the solution...
...you're part of the precipitate!

#5 noodle

noodle

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:30 AM

I had 3 points in Novemeer 2001 and rang dvla about when they can come off, was told the same as the others but the thing is it wasn't free I think it was about
05 Black 1.6hdi Desire - ZORO
"Dust is low in fat so you can eat as much dust as you like" I just wish all this dust would fill me up!!!

#6 SPUD

SPUD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts
  • Interests:My interests are becoming more refined as I mature....but I still can't spell......... just to keep you happy ! x

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:35 PM

couldn't you borrow one of dads lights ? :P

Kinky is using a feather.......... Perverted is using the whole chicken.

#7 Sir Bottletree

Sir Bottletree

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Interests: Eating junk(preferably chips), watchin telly, looking at my car and teasing the wife and kid. Yes i am fat. No i'm not idle. I can be an idiot at times.

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:07 PM

Do you know, as soon as i posted this last night, i went downstairs and swmbo was watching a police programme. A woman went through a red light and the policeman told her that the 3 points stay active for 3 years, but they stay on the license for a further 1 year.

How bizarre is that. :blink:

#8 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:49 PM

[quote name='noodle' post='136343' date='Sep 6 2007, 07:30 AM']
I had 3 points in Novemeer 2001 and rang dvla about when they can come off, was told the same as the others but the thing is it wasn't free I think it was about

#9 whatsinaname

whatsinaname

2.0 Hdi Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts
  • Interests:fishing, motorbikes, garden, my dog

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:17 PM

DO you have to pay for a new licence because mine is falling apart its in half ?? and what do do to get a new one plastic???

#10 motorman116

motorman116

Ford Mondeo Tdci 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:52 PM

I didnt have to pay for mine, but thats maybe because I moved, so it was a change of address also.
You will need 2 photos, and also you will need some one who has known you for a number of years, ie a doctor, solicitor or a teacher, they have to fill in part of the form for you. I cant remember the number of the application form for the new licence.

Edited by JoeBlunt, 13 August 2009 - 08:27 PM.
Quote Removed

2007 (57) 2.4 tdci Ford Transit long wheel base, high top van, 6 seater crew cab, Rear wheel drive

#11 rdfb2

rdfb2

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:everything + nothing

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:26 PM

my old insurance company wanted (direct line)to keep it going for 5 years charging me
2001 SX 1.6 PETROL.

#12 jaybrass

jaybrass

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:39 PM

my three points haven't made any difference to my insurance quote, changing companies has! Moved from Norwich Union Direct to Kwik-Fit and save nearly

#13 mickeyboyt

mickeyboyt

Xsara Picasso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:57 PM

had three points on licence for jumping a red light (i know its not speeding) and didn't even know i had as it was a side street..........back to topic........had points there for 3 years and then expired but dvla requirement for them for a further year. The dvla then charge

#14 Dan Gleebitz

Dan Gleebitz

2.0 HDi SX in Sahara Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,202 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

Don't forget

Photo card licences only last 10 yrs

Make sure DVLC transfer all your licence classes to the new licence. It's a sod to get them to sort it out once a new licence is issued, so better to "loose" your licence, get a new one and compare them, producing the old one if necessary.

#15 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:41 PM

mickeyboyt, has the endorsement code shown up in your licence number?

#16 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:55 PM

Points on a licence expire after three years, and will no longer be taken into totalling-up, but they remain on your licence for four years.

Edited by Lancelot, 13 August 2009 - 09:56 PM.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#17 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,615 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

The date in the year when a licence expires is not connected to your birth date. So be aware of this. I have to change mine next year, new one issued this year due to moving house. That will be in June birthday in April, I'll also have to do it again in 5 years when I am 70. My wife's licence expires next June but 4 days after her birthday. Consistent or what??
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#18 mickeyboyt

mickeyboyt

Xsara Picasso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

mickeyboyt, has the endorsement code shown up in your licence number?

First thing I checked Lancelot as I know how tricky the DVLA are. Had my licence checked when it came back and no endorsement code in the licence no. Good thing to point out to people I certainly agree!!

#19 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

Noticed a couple of years ago, but done nothing about it, my full UK driving licence which is still a paper version, no longer includes 'automatics' as a class I am able to drive, this is a complete turn-round of the original rules, if you drove an automatic you needed a retest to drive the more complex manual car, strange.
I think I noticed it when my licence was returned after having a speeding fine added, I sent off a querie to the DVLA but never got a reply, anyone else got a similar restriction

#20 ghost

ghost

2.0 Hdi 2002 Excl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:56 PM

My understanding (from very recent experience) is as follows:

Penalty points (endorsements) count for 3 years.
DVLA record them for 4 years (even though they only count for 3 as penalties)
For insurance purposes they count for 5 years. I was reading somewhere recently that the "average" difference to insurance policy holders in terms of additional premiums is between

Edited by ghost, 24 August 2009 - 06:57 PM.