#1 dolly

dolly

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:39 PM

Hello to all :)

After wanting a Picasso for ages, 6 weeks ago I finally upgraded my tiny Ford Ka and bought myself a 2.0, gorgeous, shiny black monster :D

I love my car to bits but there is one thing that is driving me nuts - any time I go above about 50mph and I have the windscreen wipers on, they appear 'bang' on the side of the windscreen and make a loud thudding sound. As you can imagine, motorway driving in the rain is really hard work.

Does anyone else who has a Picasso have this problem? Various people I talk to who have them say they have never noticed theirs do this, and believe me, you would notice.

I have 26" wiper blades on, which I believe is standard. It is still under warranty so have the option of going back to the dealer but as it is about 40 miles away, would prefer not to if it is a simple fault.

Thanks.

#2 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:49 PM

Hi Dolly and welcome to the mayhem! :D

It could be that the wipers are not correctly positioned on the drive shafts. If you look at the centre of the screen near the bottom edge, (assuming it still has its original windscreen!) there are two horizontal lines. The wipers should rest on these when parked. The driver's/right hand side wiper parks above the passenger/left hand side one.

If this doesn't cure the problem, it may be the actual drive mechanism is faulty -IIRC, there has been mention of this on the forum.

HTH

Pete
Growing old is compulsory; growing up isn't!
If you're not part of the solution...
...you're part of the precipitate!

#3 Rob.S

Rob.S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2347 posts
  • Interests:Severn Valley Railway. Steam Locomotives. Photography. Rallying

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for that Pete - Looking at mine, I see that the blades are both well below the lines <_< . That might explain why they don't clean enough screen at the top of their stoke. Time to get the crowbar out :con:
'02 2.0Hdi.... in Cool Mint

Volunteer worker... Severn Valley Railway.

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.

View my Flickr photos here

How to drive in snow - no studs !!!

#4 dolly

dolly

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:49 PM

Thanks Pete, for your reply.

Have just run out (in the pouring rain) and both wipers are above the line by about an inch. Hubby said that the passenger wiper goes over the edge of the screen which is causing the banging.

Is it a fixable job ourselves, do you think, or would I need to go back and get it sorted out with the dealer. It is a 53 reg so is covered under the garage warranty.

Thank you so much again.

#5 iamian

iamian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4130 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:30 PM

Is it a fixable job ourselves, do you think, or would I need to go back and get it sorted out with the dealer. It is a 53 reg so is covered under the garage warranty.

Thank you so much again.

The warranty should cover it, though they might wonder why they're so far out of alignment in the first place.

Otherwise you probably need to buy a little "puller" to remove the arm but the job's pretty easy once they are off.

Puller

Attached Files

Edited by iamian, 28 May 2007 - 04:37 PM.

I'd rather be boating

#6 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:08 PM

Hi Dolly,

You can fix this yourself by lifting the plastic cover over the nut on the drive shaft and undoing said nut a little. Pull the wiper upwards to free it from the shaft - this may require quite a bit of force, hence Ian's post of the wiper arm puller! Then reposition the arm so that the blades sit where they should be and tighten the nut.

It has been mentioned previously that the drive shafts are made from a softish metal and may be damaged if excessive force is used.

You may want to check to see if the windscreen is the original - see piccy below showing Citroen marks at bottom left hand corner of the screen. (Can anybody confirm that these marks are present on a car newer than a 51 plate?!) The wiper arms may have been removed to replace a damaged screen - check this with the garage and previous owner if possible. Our Citroen insider, KFK, has cautioned that a badly fitted screen can let water into the BSI control unit which is expensive to replace! Hopefully, this isn't the case with your car.

Regards

Pete

Attached Files

#7 Rob.S

Rob.S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2347 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

Citroen marks at bottom left hand corner of the screen. (Can anybody confirm that these marks are present on a car newer than a 51 plate?!)

Got it on my '02 :)

I was thinking...............

Attached File  puller.jpg   12.87KB   14 downloads

Maybe a bit drastic?

#8 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:39 PM

Thanks Rob! :lol:

Is that the 'key' you use to get into your pic?! :P

#9 Rob.S

Rob.S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2347 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:32 AM

Is that the 'key' you use to get into your pic?! :P

No Pete, it's the one I use to get into other peoples Pics :devil:

#10 bigdavy

bigdavy

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Cars, classics and modern.

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:14 AM

Dolly,
If you are not sure about fixing this why not make use of the warranty you have paid for and take the car back to the dealers and let them sort it out.? I would also ask why this wasn't noticed on the pre sales check? The last thing you want to do is damage something then the garage refuses to fix it under warranty because you broke something!

#11 Rob.S

Rob.S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2347 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:10 AM

I agree with Davy. Just tried removing mine - no chance without a puller.

#12 dolly

dolly

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:48 AM

Thanks to you all again - have checked and the windscreen has all the original marks on so doesn't look to have been replaced.

Phoned the garage where I bought it from and he said to bring it in as they will look at it. However, he is not a Citroen garage, so am debating taking it to one of the dealerships as I just spoke to someone there and he knew exactly what I was talking about and the problems I was having. Will cost me £35 but it may be better as they said that they deal with the same problem quite a lot.

Don't fancy doing it myself - knowing me I would make a real hash of it!!

Thanks again :D

#13 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:28 PM

Could you claim the cost back against the warranty?

#14 iamian

iamian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4130 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:39 PM

Will cost me £35 but it may be better as they said that they deal with the same problem quite a lot.

Don't fancy doing it myself - knowing me I would make a real hash of it!!

If it's an OEM problem why £35 for a warranty issue? - I would try another dealer.

It was either not fitted right in the first place = warranty claim.
It has worn to be misaligned = wiper motor / mechanism is not a consumable = warranty claim.
I'd rather be boating

#15 Sir Bottletree

Sir Bottletree

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Interests: Eating junk(preferably chips), watchin telly, looking at my car and teasing the wife and kid. Yes i am fat. No i'm not idle. I can be an idiot at times.

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:21 PM

Hi Dolly,

You can fix this yourself by lifting the plastic cover over the nut on the drive shaft and undoing said nut a little. Pull the wiper upwards to free it from the shaft - this may require quite a bit of force, hence Ian's post of the wiper arm puller! Then reposition the arm so that the blades sit where they should be and tighten the nut.

It has been mentioned previously that the drive shafts are made from a softish metal and may be damaged if excessive force is used.

You may want to check to see if the windscreen is the original - see piccy below showing Citroen marks at bottom left hand corner of the screen. (Can anybody confirm that these marks are present on a car newer than a 51 plate?!) The wiper arms may have been removed to replace a damaged screen - check this with the garage and previous owner if possible. Our Citroen insider, KFK, has cautioned that a badly fitted screen can let water into the BSI control unit which is expensive to replace! Hopefully, this isn't the case with your car.

Regards

Pete

Err, i dont want to worry you Pete, but someone is craftily trying to take a picture of you without looking into their camera. At first i thought it was a pair of gloves in the corner dash. Be careful mate. :(

#16 kfk

kfk

Technical Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Chat and generally messing about on here......oh yes, i know a thing or two about citroens!

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

first off, the vehicle is a 53 plate so one can be safe to assume it is over 3 years old which will mean that the manufacturers 3 year warranty has now expired.

If the garage who sold it to you has offered to look at the problem it would be a better proposition to let them resolve the problem free of charge rather than pay for someone else to do it and try to claim the money back......after all if the selling garage repairs it what will it cost them? half hours work?......about £7 so why would they pay £35 for something they could have done cheaper if given the chance?

Assuming the vehicle has an extended warranty it will cover for mechanical breakdown, it wont cover wear & tear, adjustments or service items.

By the description of the fault given they dont sound broken and are more likely out of adjustment with possible damage to the wiper blades which are service items.....so a main dealer trying to claim off a warranty company is unlikely to get anywhere with it on your behalf .

And finally, just because a main dealer knows about a particular issue with a car when described to them it doesnt mean its an inherent fault.........unless of course turning the wipers on in the middle of winter with the blades frozen to the screen is a manufacturer fault!......the customer is the common cause of that problem!

And before anyone mentions the month were in and lack of ice at the moment.........the car has just been bought, pressumably has been sitting on a car sales forcourt for a while....over winter maybe......so lets blame the car cleaner for it.

Take it back from where it came and get them to resolve it, i'm sure they are more than capable, if not they should be happy to arrange to book it in with the local dealer and pay the bill before you collect it, that way you have no costs to get back.
Wants some help, give me a clue.......petrol/diesel/engine size/year....Please post messages in main forum before asking me in Private Message

....Still waiting for proof that the customer is always right
....Has anyone checked the nut holding the steering wheel?

....Has anyone seen the crystal ball?

#17 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7785 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

As well as the wipers NOT sitting on the guide lines when parked are they fitted with SPOILERS. The PIcasso shouldn't have spoilers on the blades as the airflow over the screen tends to get under the spoiler and casue them to over wipe at speed.

How do I know this, I fitted spoilers to mine (removed from an old pair) and suffered this problem, ytook spoilers OFF OK again.
62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#18 dolly

dolly

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:20 PM

Checked the wipers - no spoilers so that rules that out.

The only problem I have returning it to the garage I got it from, is that it is 40 miles away. I was quite specific in what I wanted when I got it - I know I sound sooooo like a typical woman but it had to be black :D When I saw this one, the 2.0hdi, it had everything I wanted so was willing to make the trip.

The warranty is the dealers after-sales warranty I suppose you call it, for 6mths after purchase. He serviced it for me and fully MOT'd it just before I got it. Prior to me owning it, it was a lease car - he had only had it for about a week but I don't know how long the lease company had it immobile before selling it.

To be honest, doing an 80mile round trip when I can go a mile down the road doesn't really appeal. Added to the fact I will have to take my stroppy, car hating 2year old with me I think I would rather pay the £35 for ease. I have used the garage quite a bit in the past - I had a Saxo from new about 8 years ago so used them for servicing then and never had any problems. I hated that Saxo though - I swore after getting rid of it I would never have another Citroen :lol:

Thanks all again.

#19 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7785 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:18 PM

Ok then here's another way you may fix this.

Go to Halfords and buy some new wipers and they will fit them for £1.99. Point out to the fitter that they don't appear to sitting on the park marks and get him to move the arms on the spindles, (your a women so use your eyelashes on him)
62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#20 Retrogeezer

Retrogeezer

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:26 AM

Used to be a lease car...for 3 years?? Oh dear:

I struggle to understand some people - happy to pay £35 to a local dealer rather than less than a tenner in fuel and go back to the garage it came from.

Do you not have a friend/relative that could look after your child while you go??

What do you do normally do when you take your child out in the car? I guess you must do otherwise why would you buy and MPV...

Edited by Retrogeezer, 31 May 2007 - 07:26 AM.